the six man sharpshooting team

Sivodsi

Vehicle capacity is based on number of units, not number of soldiers. I think units are divided between squads and half-squad sized units (including HQs, weapons teams, teams made from split squads, etc.) FOs with 2 men and sharpshooters with single men seem to fit into the same category as 6 man HMG crews.

Ditto depleted squads; if you had 10 squads reduced to 2 men each, you can only fit one or two of them into/onto vehicles.

Nearly every game has a few quirks like that if you search for them hard enough. The more complex the game, the more quirks it's liable to have. Trying to build a model of reality that is accurate in all details and still have the pieces all fit together and work is not at all an easy job. CM has mucho flaws, but the surprising thing is that it works as well as it does. I gather this came about through a conjunction of talent and hard work.

Oh yes, and a hyper-critical audience.

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Nearly every game has a few quirks like that if you search for them hard enough. The more complex the game, the more quirks it's liable to have. Trying to build a model of reality that is accurate in all details and still have the pieces all fit together and work is not at all an easy job. CM has mucho flaws, but the surprising thing is that it works as well as it does. I gather this came about through a conjunction of talent and hard work.

Oh yes, and a hyper-critical audience.

:D

Michael

Compare the level of detail in Squad Leader to Cross of Iron to ASL.

CMBO was Squad Leader. Cross of Iron arguably CMBB, though COI had a broader set of changes than CMBO to CMBB. CMAK is COD and GI:Anvil of Victory.

CMX2 will be ASL (I hope). The passenger system in SL was very basic. ASL introduced a flexible of system that could be used to measure the relative abilities of vehicles to carry every unit type in the game; 10 leaders, 1 squad, 1 half-squad and a heavy weapon, etc. etc. All good game systems go through evolutions; we are still at the GI Anvil of Victory stage.

Unfortunately - game systems also stagnate; I think ASL has pretty much run its possible course, despite the flashy new addons. The new King and Country, for example, is a reissue of a lot of stuff.

We shall see what CMX2 brings. ASL has stood the test of time.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

CMAK is COD and GI:Anvil of Victory.

It's not quite COD since it doesn't have Poland, Norway, or France and the low countries. That was supposed to be covered by CM4, though lord knows when we'll see it.

BTW, I think COD was my favorite. At least it had my favorite scenarios.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

CMAK is COD and GI:Anvil of Victory.

It's not quite COD since it doesn't have Poland, Norway, or France and the low countries. That was supposed to be covered by CM4, though lord knows when we'll see it.

BTW, I think COD was my favorite. At least it had my favorite scenarios.

Michael </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, ASL, COD, GI:Anvil of Victory.

I have those games. They're out in the garage now though. =)

Kitty </font>

You should see my mom's garage... before the start of decent computer wargaming I used ot buy every board game I could get my hands on... good fun those all night sessions with my brother and then laying the pieces of the boards on tup of the cupboards in the kitchen hoping our mom would not touch anything or the cat would go venture on top of the cupboards....

My first Tandy (Radioshack) computer was used as "dice" (it was the only programming I did in Basic...) since my brother and I could not stop arguing if the dice had really been "thrown" correctly or not... sure had a lot of dice throws to make in "The Longest Day"... ah...nostaglia...

Originally posted by Alfatwosix:

then laying the pieces of the boards on tup of the cupboards in the kitchen hoping our mom would not touch anything or the cat would go venture on top of the cupboards....

Yep. The cat always ruins everything. =)

Yes, let's reminisce. =) Let's see if I can remember the others we had besides SL/ASL:

Anzio, Gettysburg, D-Day, Fortress Europa, NATO: Next War in Europe, Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Panzerkrieg, Russian Campaign, Vietnam 1965-75, Guns of August, St. Lo, that SL Card Game (can't remember the name of it), Shellshock, Highway to the Reich, and Arab-Israeli Wars.

That's all I can think of right now. My friend bought most of them but somehow most of them ended up in my possession. >=)

Kitty

Originally posted by Kitty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, ASL, COD, GI:Anvil of Victory.

I have those games. They're out in the garage now though. =)

Kitty </font>

I'm looking for the rulebooks if they are in good condition; I can offer you a nice new repro SS panzer jacket in trade, any insignia you like...

OOOoo! I'll go see if they're out there right now! =D Garage is a huge mess it might take a few minutes. Back soon!

Kitty

I'm looking for the rulebooks if they are in good condition; I can offer you a nice new repro SS panzer jacket in trade, any insignia you like...

OOOoo! I'll go see if they're out there right now! =D Garage is a huge mess it might take a few minutes. Back soon!

Kitty </font>

That could work! sskitty.jpg

HOWEVER: here's the results of my first expedition (brushes spiders out of hair):

The only SL stuff that was where it should have been was the Cross of Iron box top with all four corners folded out and squashed flat by some other games on top of the bottom to the original SL box. So I opened it up and inside are the boards and units for War and Peace. =(

There was some more stuff I couldn't get to in another cupboard but I couldn't tell what it was. You want that big orange or whatever color it was notebook thingy with the slide-on cover, right?

Kitty

That could work! sskitty.jpg

HOWEVER: here's the results of my first expedition (brushes spiders out of hair):

The only SL stuff that was where it should have been was the Cross of Iron box top with all four corners folded out and squashed flat by some other games on top of the bottom to the original SL box. So I opened it up and inside are the boards and units for War and Peace. =(

There was some more stuff I couldn't get to in another cupboard but I couldn't tell what it was. You want that big orange or whatever color it was notebook thingy with the slide-on cover, right?

Kitty

I sent you an email...let's continue there...