Sometimes the Waffle gets the Bear, and Sometimes the Bear gets the Waffle!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arlene, check yer sig...pretty sure that was meant for you too, you sacklass twat.

For all you Midwesterners and East Coasters...feh. It's salmon season here in NoCal. It was swimming this morning and now it's swimming in my belly. GIT IN MY BELLY!!! And the beauty of capitalism...it is brought to the local farmers market where I can pick up, cleaned and ready to go, at the proper hour of 12 noon.

Turns out but I guess you have all buggered off to bed so I will play the AI for a real challenge for a change.

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

Arlene, check yer sig...pretty sure that was meant for you too, you sacklass twat.

I should hope any twats are sackless. Oh, you mean your dates. Sorry, nevermind.

[serious]Can someone define, and cite an example of, a 'straw man' argument? I have heard this term but a quick check of logic sites doesn't show anything. Would forensics, debate not the CSI stuff, be a better approach?[/serious]

The straw-man rhetorical technique (sometimes called straw person) is the practice of refuting weaker arguments than your opponents actually offer. It is not a logical fallacy to disprove a weak argument. Rather, this fallacy lies in declaring one argument's conclusion to be wrong because of flaws in another argument.

One can set up a straw man in several different ways:

1. Present one of your opponent's weaker arguments, refute it, and pretend that you have refuted all of their arguments.

2. Present your opponent's argument in weakened form, refute it, and pretend that you have refuted the original.

3. Present a misrepresentation of your opponent's position, refute it, and pretend that you have refuted your opponent's actual position.

4. Present someone who defends a position poorly as the defender, refute their arguments, and pretend that you've refuted every argument for that position.

5. Invent a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs that are criticised, and pretend that that person represents a group that the speaker is critical of.

For example, one might argue "Charles Darwin believed in Lamarckian inheritance of acquired characteristics, which has now been discredited. Therefore, Darwinian evolution by natural selection did not occur." This is a fallacy because the Lamarckian ideas were only a small part of the overall theory; the fact that he was wrong about them does not affect the theory as a whole.

Some logic textbooks define the straw-man fallacy only as a misrepresented argument. It is now common, however, to use the term to refer to all of these tactics. The straw-man technique is also a type of media manipulation.

Often, the straw-man setup is a weaker argument because it makes an unjustifiably wide or strong claim. For example:

Fred: "Poverty is one factor that causes crime".

Alice: "You're wrong to claim that all poor people are criminals. My friend Jack is poor, but he is not a criminal!".

From here.

For all you Midwesterners and East Coasters...feh. It's salmon season here in NoCal. It was swimming this morning and now it's swimming in my belly. GIT IN MY BELLY!!! And the beauty of capitalism...it is brought to the local farmers market where I can pick up, cleaned and ready to go, at the proper hour of 12 noon.

Turns out but I guess you have all buggered off to bed so I will play the AI for a real challenge for a change.

Tell us the truth Maggot. You picked up some of this untitled36.jpg

at the homeless shelter. Too bad you don't know how to operate a can opener.

Originally posted by Kitty:

You all suck!!!!! ARARGA RAGR ARG! No one posts here past 8:30 pm. You're all whipped!!! No-nad, non-tnt chuckers!!! "No, Kitty!! You don't understand!!! Our mean wives won't let us post past 8:30!!!!" Wipe the puss off your noses and act like you have a pair!!!! I've got mold in my damn basement, ants in the kitchen, my dad is sitting on a can of Black Flag and I'm still posting!!!! What are you maggots doing?!?!? Knitting baby booties for your drooling, babbling, infants? Putting down doilies on the coffee table so your domineering wives can sip mint julips and make you suck their toes while they watch re-runs of "Wings?!?!?!?!?!?"

ARGA RGAR AGR ARG GGGGGGGGGG H! HHHH!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

GRGRAAAAAARGHGHHGARRGGGGARRR!!! *puts little finger out* I was being... civilized, bammit!!!! Entertaining the neighbor with many Hefe-Weisse barley pop things and sitting by a campfire. I smell like beer and smoke this morning. Almost as good as napalm. :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ July 25, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Originally posted by Watson & Crick:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

I leave for 12 hours of beer drinking with my family and this is what I return to? :retch: :gag: :spew: :mad:

So are you still hucking up your stomach contents after your bender? </font>

<font size=4>Helllllooooo!!! Anybody here?</font size=4>

I guess they're all at church. Or passed out. Or both. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I'll get turns out later, maggots. For now, I'm having too much fun making you wait. :D:D

Kitty, did you receive my dues? I figured why send money so I bought you a bottle of Maker's Mark. I took it to the post office and the people there were so helpful. They said they would box it and ship it to you. Funny thing is, they didn't even charge postage. :confused: :D

Originally posted by Dave H:

I'll get turns out later, maggots. For now, I'm having too much fun making you wait.

Funny. I was just thinking how could Dave H be more of a useless git....and then, BOOM, there ya go. Question answered.

Thanks Axe. I see the troll bantering it back and forth on the GF on occasion and was curious what they were on about. Hell, most of suck and the rest of 'em swallow. Giant cesspool of depravity. Dave you post on the GF don't you?

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave H:

<font size=4>Helllllooooo!!! Anybody here?</font size=4>

What am I -- chopped liver?!? :mad: :mad: </font>

Axe up a lot is enjoying his evening stroll in a scenario I'm going to nickname "Hide and Go Soak". The soggy maggot started in the middle of my guys, padlocked in place. And it's not even a Rune scenario. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Dave H:

Kitty, did you receive my dues? I figured why send money so I bought you a bottle of Maker's Mark. I took it to the post office and the people there were so helpful. They said they would box it and ship it to you. Funny thing is, they didn't even charge postage. :confused: :D

AR AG ARHARG AGRGRAHR GAHGRH! I didn't get any damn dues from anyone!!! Friggin' exterminator ran over my mailbox when he came to kill the ants. Then he said he couldn't fumigate because the mold guy was here at the same time. They started yelling at each other so I chucked a drawerful of bitter molten TNT at their crotches and they both ran away!! :mad: Unfortunately it did 1hit Skunknads and severed her left arm. I was so pissed off that I picked up the severed arm and bludgeoned her with it!!! Cops came, told 'em it was an accident, they believed me . . . AR AGRARGAR GGGGGG HGGH H!

So anyway, no turns 'til I find out if they can put the damn arm back on or not. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Watson & Crick:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

What am I -- chopped liver?!?

Let me get the food processor and we can fix you right up. Do you prefer smooth or extra-chunky? </font>

My what a cheerless dreary cold and dark thread this is.....

....oh - that would be because some maggot-for-a-brain lump of bear do forgot to start it with a nice <big><big>CHEERY </big></big> title!

BTW I had a fabulous weekend thanks for asking - Salsa & Tango all night Friday night, toy soldiers Sat afternoon, rock 'n Roll & Ceroc and Rugby Saturday night, slept all morning Sunday, then more music and dancing and Tuatara Porter Sunday evening.

Praise the lord for work where I can rest my brain cells writing to you lot! tongue.gif

Originally posted by Mike:

My what a cheerless dreary cold and dark thread this is.....

....oh - that would be because some maggot-for-a-brain lump of bear do forgot to start it with a nice <big><big>CHEERY </big></big> title!

How about, 'starving, forgotten NZ hobbits eat Mike'?

That has a cheery ring to it.

Mace