Crack piat team and 17pdr

I have recently completed 'Brits at Anzio' scenario and have experienced a couple of annoying niggles so to speak:-

***SPOILER***

1) I had a Crack piat team targeting a Panzer III and he only managed one hit in the side although the Tank did have skirts from 110 meters or so, and seemed to take an age to reload the thing. But what is the benefit of having a Crack unit if no advantage is gained or so it seemed in this scenario and no damage done to the tank?

2) I also had a 17pdr I was trying to keep hidden from German units several hundred meters or so away IIRC, but he would constantly reveal his position firing AP rounds at infantry which I was intending to conserve for German tanks, so again is this due to unit experience or a bug perhaps?

I think the 17pdr was a regular but has anyone else experienced this?

[ August 29, 2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: SKELLEN ]

1)

As Panzerman said, the PIAT is effective only at a very short range. 110m is already a considerable distance and you might have hit the tank once not in spite off but because you had a crack unit. The slow reload time is a real life problem that all PIAT had. Quotes form this site

: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/PIAT

"In general use the PIAT had a rated range of about 100m, but that was considered the extreme and was typically fired at much shorter ranges"

" The PIAT could then be found in all theatres, although the slow reload time meant it was generally considered a one-shot-per-battle weapon"

2)

Did you hide the gun or did you use covered arcs?

Originally posted by moneymaxx:

1)

As Panzerman said, the PIAT is effective only at a very short range. 110m is already a considerable distance and you might have hit the tank once not in spite off but because you had a crack unit. The slow reload time is a real life problem that all PIAT had. Quotes form this site

: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/PIAT

"In general use the PIAT had a rated range of about 100m, but that was considered the extreme and was typically fired at much shorter ranges"

" The PIAT could then be found in all theatres, although the slow reload time meant it was generally considered a one-shot-per-battle weapon"

2)

Did you hide the gun or did you use covered arcs?

Reload time was only slow if the weapon failed to recock itself - which apparently was not uncommon, but theoretically, the spring would recock, meaning that to reload it, all you had to do was line up a bomb in the firing tray and insure the ballistite cartridge was in the correct location. You didn't have to fiddle with wires as you did with the US 2.36 in bazooka.

On an open slope, scattered tree, woods or what? Also if German infantry were shooting at it, no wonder it wouldn't stop unhiding. Some units in CM seem to, even with cover arcs, unhide them selves, but I find that only happens once the enemy has opened fire on it and continues to do so once you try to "hide" them.

You may want to add a spoiler warning to your first post. There are a few who haven't played that scenario yet. Just a suggestions.

As for the scenario in question, IIRC, the 17 pdr's default setting is atop an open slope (really just a RR embankment). Like Panzerman said, if it knows it is discovered, and threatened, then it will disregard its covered arc command and fire in self defense.

Originally posted by Panzerman:

On an open slope, scattered tree, woods or what? Also if German infantry were shooting at it, no wonder it wouldn't stop unhiding. Some units in CM seem to, even with cover arcs, unhide them selves, but I find that only happens once the enemy has opened fire on it and continues to do so once you try to "hide" them.

It was on top of an open slope and I think you've hit the nail on it's head, as my 17pdr was sighted by infantry now that I think of it, which would explain the reason for revealing its position in self defense as Kingfish mentions.

And thanks for reminding about about a spoiler warning Kingfish - sorry folks.

The PIAT was not all bad. The Companion book I think has a nice example of it in action. Remember its biggest virtue was no blast when fired so you could probably take a few shots without being spotted. This meant you could fire from a house without necessarily doing yourself a mischief. Also a fairly destructive warhead.

in CMAK terms i think i prefer the PIAT. it's very stealthy & can fire a few rounds off without being noticed. keep the range <50m & they work well but you get enough of them to risk going for the longer shots anyway.

they do their job of making your opponent keep his armour out of the way very well.

of course, i'd still rather have the later Panzergrenadier & all those lovely fausts & shreks.