Hull-down bunkers

very interesting. I just setup a little test to double-check the obvious, and I'm glad I did.

You can have your bunker hull-down from every possible forward direction and it means nothing! % to hit is the same. Following CMplayer's logic it makes sense, but why then does the engine bother to allow them to be placed "hull-down" to begin with? It doesn't add up.

No detail in this game is purely cosmetic, so I'm surprised by this. I'll ask the authorities about this one.

As I understand it, every vehicle in CM (and Bunkers are treated as immobile vehicles) has 2 centers, one for the hull and another for the weapon. A Bunker probably has its centers so close together (could be only one) that you get both the hull down and ability to fire.

Just a guess

Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

No detail in this game is purely cosmetic,

Some details are just unintended side effects, like this case I believe.

But there are indeed merely cosmetic details. In the AAR screen, the distinction between number of men KIA and number wounded is just meaningless fluff.

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

Seems odd since its precisely the firing slit that you need to hit to take out a bunker.

A large-caliber artillery shell won't knock out a bunker? I'd think a direct top hit by a 300mm rocket would have SOME effect ... </font>

First time I saw a CM bunker burn was from a direct rocket OBA round. Second time was from a FT attack from the side: blowed up real good! You don't have to deliver the nasty stuff through the firing slit.

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

Seems odd since its precisely the firing slit that you need to hit to take out a bunker.

A large-caliber artillery shell won't knock out a bunker? I'd think a direct top hit by a 300mm rocket would have SOME effect ... </font>