High Contrast Gridded Terrain Mods

Hate to do this to everybody who downloaded the updated CMAK and CMBB terrain files (RM Topo Grid Terrain) from CMMods yesterday and today, but somehow 635.bmp got included without any grid.

Because the whole file is 16.7 MB, I created a file with just the updated bmp so you don't have to download the whole file again. The CMMods name is RM Topo Grid Terrain 635.bmp.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to do one last mod for Topo Gridded Winter Roads, but the winter road bitmaps actually cover very little of the underlying tile. And the most important part of the tile for seeing elevation changes, which is the exact center of the tile where all the lines meet, is visible in all cases.

Therefore, the current set of files at CMMods completes the Topo Grid series. I hope everybody enjoys them as much as I do.

Originally posted by Other Means:

I like them, but the light snow CMBB ones look...odd with brush and tree bases. What do you use to go with them?

I don't understand the question. Do you mean the brush and tree base terrain bitmaps I added my grid to look odd, or you saying the light snow grid open tiles look odd without brush and tree bases with a grid? Or did you mean something else entirely?

Originally posted by Rocket-Man:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Other Means:

I like them, but the light snow CMBB ones look...odd with brush and tree bases. What do you use to go with them?

I don't understand the question. Do you mean the brush and tree base terrain bitmaps I added my grid to look odd, or you saying the light snow grid open tiles look odd without brush and tree bases with a grid? Or did you mean something else entirely? </font>

Originally posted by Rocket-Man:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Other Means:

I was wondering if you used any different ones that match a bit better?

No I didn't. I tried to find ones that made it easy to tell the difference between the trees and the bushes. If you can find ones you like better let me know. [/QB]</font>

Nice work Rocket-Man

I've given them a go and I like it. Very easy now to judge the lay of he land, especuially when viewed from maxed out birds eye view. It looks like a topographical map with contour lines, except for the tiles that have wheat and brush tiles (hard to tell what elevation they are on becasue they obscure the colour too much). But this leads me to the next question.

How can I view this birdseye zoomed out perspective of the map without having the contrasted underlap grass/steepe etc files covered over by the terrain tiles on top (mainly the wheat, brush, swamp, scattered trees, woods, pine tiles)? Are there a set of "see through" BMPs for theses tiles that can be used that do not overtly obscure teh colour (and hence teh elevation) of the base terrain tile?

Cheers

Bull

PS: I agree with Other Means' observations on the brush/trees etc tiles on light snow. They do look mismatched with the underlying light snow terrain tiles.

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

Nice work Rocket-Man

I've given them a go and I like it. Very easy now to judge the lay of he land, especuially when viewed from maxed out birds eye view. It looks like a topographical map with contour lines, except for the tiles that have wheat and brush tiles (hard to tell what elevation they are on becasue they obscure the colour too much). But this leads me to the next question.

How can I view this birdseye zoomed out perspective of the map without having the contrasted underlap grass/steepe etc files covered over by the terrain tiles on top (mainly the wheat, brush, swamp, scattered trees, woods, pine tiles)? Are there a set of "see through" BMPs for theses tiles that can be used that do not overtly obscure teh colour (and hence teh elevation) of the base terrain tile?

Cheers

Bull

PS: I agree with Other Means' observations on the brush/trees etc tiles on light snow. They do look mismatched with the underlying light snow terrain tiles.

Thanks Lt Bull, I'm glad you like them.

Terrain tiles can vary from completely opaque to completely clear, or any variation in between. The more clear area there is on a terrain tile, the easier it is to see the underlying open ground tile, but the harder it is to distinguish what the terrain is.

Again, if you have a combination you think works out well together, let me know.

[ January 20, 2007, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Rocket-Man ]

Originally posted by JT Fox:

Thanks for this. It improved my view of the battlefield and helps to spot dead ground etc.

Thanks again JT Fox

PS Is there anything like this for CMBB?

I did mods for all CMBB terrain as well. Again, go to CMMods in the CMBB section and search "By Designer" for RocketMan.

[ January 22, 2007, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Rocket-Man ]

• 2 months later...

I have the topo mods and I have the bmp patch for it. But I am getting weird ice blue rocks at high altitude. The squares look ok I guess, they are just covered in blue rocks or splotches. What is this?

I will post screen shot if no one understand what I am talking about. I would assume this has been seen before

well I dunno about the memory thing. I am running 2 gig. And my vid card is the fastest AGP ATI 850xt.

It has only happened on 2 maps. One in Crete and now this one.

When I loaded another terrain mod... it went away. So I have no idea why it is leaving the textures out. Of course I wouldn't know where to start either.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same color problem with the Topo Gridded Open terrain tiles on my home computer (ATI video card), but not on my work computer (NVidia card). In fact, if you look at the preview picture I posted with the Topo Gridded Open tiles at CMMods you will see what they look like on my home computer.

My work around, as I stated in the notes section of the Topo Gridded Open tiles, is to substitute the Grass tiles for the open tiles. The note accompanying the CMMods Mod Info is -

NOTE: For some reason my computer adds those ugly turquoise pixels at the higher terrain elevations, making this mod useless for me. I also hate the color gradations on this one. I use RM-GaJ H/C Topo Grid Grass for the Open terrain. To do this renumber the grass files from bmp 1550-1569 (the grass bmp file numbers) to bmp 1570-1589 (the open bmp file numbers) and save the renumbered files in your bmp directory.