High Contrast Gridded Terrain Mods

One of the things that bothered me about CMAK when I first started playing it was how very hard it was to visualize the terrain I was fighting on (I was later to find out that the terrain I was having the most problems with was Arid Open). In an effort to improve the basic game, I turned to CMMods.

The first thing I found was gridded terrain. That helped a lot, but wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Then I found GreenAsJade's High Contrast Mod and added my own grid to his tiles. This combination worked pretty well and overcame a lot of the limitions of the game engine.

However, as I was playing a game using the Gridded High Contrast Arid Open tiles, I noticed that almost all the "bends" in the terrain took place at 45 degree increments around the perimeter of the tile (the exceptions are when the terrain changes 2 or more levels in height).

So I added 1 pixel wide lines to the tiles at these "bend lines" and was extremely pleased with the results. It makes it easy for me at least to really visualize the terrain.

If you want to try this mod out, go to CMMods and search "By Designer" for RocketMan.

modaridopentopopicturerw6.jpg

[ December 27, 2006, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Rocket-Man ]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Rocket-Man:

I will be doing the rest as I need them for games I am playing.

How about doing them when I need them for games I'm playing?

Joking of course but they do look a bit special and I'm going to give them all a try as you roll them out. Thanks for the effort. It is appreciated.

Originally posted by The Schwabian:

ummmm i downloaded your new open terrain mod, and the arid terrain mod, and they are both the exact same (they are both mods for the arid terrain)...

I didn't notice that. Thanks Schwabian. Another thing I didn't notice was that the Open I did was actually Grass.

Files have been updated to reflect these changes.

Note: I use the Grass High Contrast for Grass, Open and Steppe as I like the color gradations for the Grass tiles better than Steppe (in CMBB) and Open ones.

To use the Grass files in CMBB, just copy to the files to the CMBB BMP directory (the grass and Steppe files have the same number). To use them for Open, change the .bmp numbers from 1550-1569 to 1570-1589.

Rocket-Man

Kudus for the enhancements!

My apologies for being a newbie, but I've searched for information about mods and installing them and found little information. Everyone knows about them but me. :)

From what I've read, my guess is:

1. Some mods come with rules attached. Would this be things like swampy ground would have a higher chance of vehicles bogging.

2. Some mods are just changes in the visuals and the underlying rules remain the same. For these mods it is just a matter of changing the visual effect.

3. For mods which just change the visual effect the process to change is:

a. save existing bmp [in case you want to go back to them]with a different name. So, for example, 1520.bmp might become 1520a.bmp.

b. download and save the new mod 1520.bmp in the CMAK BMP folder

All this being said, there is no necessity to use the CMMOS 4.03 mod loader.

Do I have it more or less right?

Thanks!

Eric

There are a lot to ways to use mods Eric, but I will tell you what I do.

First I make a backup copy of the bmp folder before I do anything else. Then I just copy the mod bmp files into the bmp directory because I don't really ever plan on using the old files again, but if I do ever need them they are available in the backup directory.

I noticed this weekend that RM-GaJ H/C Topo Grid Grass mod at CMMods had the worng file for bmp 1567. Files at CMMods have been updated to fix the problem.

Cool. Come round, bring beer, I've got a Wii.

So, d'ya like Gladiator movies?

AND

Originally posted by Other Means:

Failing that, if you fancy a PBEM game drop me a line.

I've just installed them and they're brilliant.

Sure, I absolutely love gladiator movies! Do I have to bring my own toga or will you have a spare one for me? ;)

I would love to play a PBEM against you. Any preferences on game/type of battle?

And thanks for the kind words on the mod. I am good at doing geometric work like adding the grid lines, but being an engineer, I could never actually draw anything that looked halfway decent without using my $20,000 CAD package.

[ January 02, 2007, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Rocket-Man ]

Originally posted by Rocket-Man:

I noticed this weekend that RM-GaJ H/C Topo Grid Grass mod at CMMods had the worng file for bmp 1567. Files at CMMods have been updated to fix the problem.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Cool. Come round, bring beer, I've got a Wii.

So, d'ya like Gladiator movies?

AND

Originally posted by Other Means:

Failing that, if you fancy a PBEM game drop me a line.

I've just installed them and they're brilliant.

Sure, I absolutely love gladiator movies! Do I have to bring my own toga or will you have a spare one for me? ;)

I would love to play a PBEM against you. Any preferences on game/type of battle?

And thanks for the kind words on the mod. I am good at doing geometric work like adding the grid lines, but being an engineer, I could never actually draw anything that looked halfway decent without using my $20,000 CAD package. </font>

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Thanks for the acknowledgement in the mod name, Rocket-Man ... appreciated!

I am an engineer and good at geometric drawings like the grid, but I could never create anything that looks natural, so without you the mod wouldn't have been possible.

Thanks for letting me use it!

Topo gridded terrain files have been added to the CMMods database for both CMAK and CMBB. Also, all CMBB related files have been added to the CMBB database so you don't have to download the relevant files from the CMAK database.

Note that the CMAK desert terrain mod does not include files for soft ground because I could not find a single arid soft ground mod for CMAK. If you know of one and it looks half way decent, let me know and I will included it in a future version.

[ January 13, 2007, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Rocket-Man ]