Dieppe anyone ?

Just thinking ,, I could make a Dieppe scenario with this game ,

hmmmmmmmmm..................

(insert evil conspiritorial laugh here)

and we even have those stupid boats ,

and someone in another thread said something about using shallow ford tiles, and vehicles as landing boats ,,, hmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by Corvidae:

Just thinking ,, I could make a Dieppe scenario with this game ,

hmmmmmmmmm..................

(insert evil conspiritorial laugh here)

and we even have those stupid boats ,

and someone in another thread said something about using shallow ford tiles, and vehicles as landing boats ,,, hmmmmmmmmm

the Dieppe landings were done in steel assault craft, with the exception of reserve waves which had wooden landing craft. The ones in CM are too slow and too unarmoured.

A set of linked campaigns would be good, I had played with the idea of same - ie you have seperate battles for Orange and Yellow Beaches, and the level of victory you get determines the starting forces for Blue and Green beaches, and their success determines Red and White beaches starting forces.

I did a scen with Red and White Beach in CMBB (using Russians to substitute for the Canadians). Didn't work out too well I don't think, but it was such a monster my machine handled it poorly. Might have to revisit it someday.

I can well imagine doing the landings once the Churchills have started up the shingle. My problem (admittiedly due to my own ignorance) would be I don't have a clue what the Germans had to throw against the Canadians! French 47mm guns (you could use that PzI based anti-tank vehcle), or 37mm flak, or even 88s? I suspect there are Dieppe grogs who could tell you the pants size of the guys manning the nearest flak gun!

• 2 weeks later...
What exactly is there to recommend the site? Bad scans and worse captions stolen from books, from what I clicked on. They did link to my discussion of the mortar platoon of the Calgary Highlanders, but it is a dead link now since I moved that info. Blah.

As for Leasor's book, I own a copy and it is definitely written in "pulp fiction" style but seems to have some interesting info in it.

Tagwyn,

I discovered long ago that there was a great divergence between my interests and those of the public library, leading me to buy books as and when able so that I could get the information promptly rather than wait weeks, if I got it at all. With increasing memory porosity, this has become even more important, especially since I write regularly.

Am no stranger to libraries, though, having practically lived in them through high school and college. These days, though, libraries have become three ring circuses compared to the genteel

places of calm so rigorously enforced when I spent much time in them, further reducing their attractiveness to me. In this regard, the Internet has been a huge boon.

If I lived around the corner, as some do, from, say, the New York Public Library or the University of Chicago Library, then things might be different, but where I live, that kind of library isn't close, and gettting there's a hassle, so figure on spending an entire day for a visit. I did this for several days running years ago while doing research for an Alan Stang documentary on the connection between the American birth control

movement pioneer Sanger and the Nazi? eugenicists,

but it wasn't fun, what with a cramped cubicle, copiers far away and not cheap, long delays receiving requested materials, etc.

Regards,

John Kettler