Noob PBEM question

teeps

You might also try The Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club. I've found all of my opponents there. Everyone's been great fun to fight with. I've played everyone from beginners to experts. Playing the better players has been an excellent learning experience & they've all been happy to offer tips on how to reverse the outcome (though, not during the battle . . . nothing like learning the hard way.) Plenty of people there will offer you a sort-of tutorial game. They'll walk you through an ass kicking just to show you everything you're doing wrong & how to do it right. (Basic tank/infantry tactics. Though not everything works as it should in practice, which is what makes this a good game, despite it's small faults. Such is life.)

I'm not much into the ladder thing, far as winning or losing goes, but it is fun to keep track of your stats.

I started off playing 2000pt, QB Meeting Engagements. This has it's drawbacks though. It's too much of a "race for the flag". Whoever gets there first usually wins. So, I've been playing two battles at once with the same opponent. One attack battle & one defend. Both on similar maps. This way you get to work both sides of the aisle. It takes longer, but seems much more fair & balanced. A more fulfilling experience.

Originally posted by Corvidae:

teeps,

absolutely, You will find that we tend to be mature and civilized here, We dont speak L33T, We share our beer, And we help green players to become worthy veterans,

Feel free to send a PBEM turn to me at

600 points is usualy a good size map with enough units to make things interesting

Corvidae,

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to take you up on that, but is there a particular scenario I should use?

TheBlackHand, thanks, I'll definitely give blitzkreig a look.

Cheers.

teeps,

random maps, with random units selected by the AI,

set quality to medium, set rarity to variable,

and see what the computer generates for you,

Accept what circumstance throws at you, and make it work,

600 to 800 points is big enough to be good, but small enough to be managable

You did it right,

and I expect you will do just fine,

I sent you the next turn, ,,,

Theres a lot of trees on that map,

I hate fighting in dense forest, oh well,

You may notice that I like to engage the enemy as far away as possible, I cant do that on this map, so I am going to improvize,

This should be fun..............

Tanks dont do well in trees,

In tall pines and in woods(forest) they are imobile, and in scatered trees, they are slow and easly bogged,

But there are a few safe passages through that i saw, try using the SHIFT key, and the T, to hide the trees so you can see the ground, and use the LOS tool to plot a course in advance,

Also zoom in close to the ground for a better idea of exactly what you are facing.

Out of curiosity,,,, did you study the manual?

If not you probably should, it says a lot about tanks and where they should and should NOT be opperated.

Originally posted by Corvidae:

I hear Engines, Possibly tanks, coming through the trees.

but no contact yet.

It just occurred to me to ask this, but does this mean you're getting sound contacts on my mysterious engined machines? If so, does that mean your boys pick them up from all the way across the map??

A silent force can usualy hear a noisy force from a fair distance, try it some time,, find a construction site,, with lots of heavy vehicles,, walk about 500 meters from it,, and listen, you should still be able to distinguish buldozers from dumptrucks by sound alone,

Forest does baffle the sound a bit, and bounces it around to make it harder to pinpoint the source, but you should still be able to identify engine noises,

So far my French boys are sweeping all before them! Mind you seeing as the opposition has been a crew who seemed to have misplaced their vehicle that's not saying much. I'm assuming that I'm encountering a recon screen, rather than proper opposition. The presence of the crew presumably means Corvidae has decided at least one of his vehicles is no help on this map? Just at the end of the last turn a couple of artillery shells landed, so I'm a little worried about a nice HE surprise coming my way...

The early Gallic confidence about dealing with this piffling recon screen may have been misplaced. Despite the quick folding of the screen on the left of the map, there's an argument in the centre that I can't get out of - a few enemy squads there are pinning some of my boys. I have to say though, that these French troops seem to panic easily, despite not being green. Are there differences in the nations' psychological hardness in CMAK, or have I just got a bunch of cowards?