WW2 AFV Book Recommendations?

btm

Tried to post this in the general forum, but no one there is interested in discussing topics related to WW2. Rather frustrating.

I am looking for a few high-quality reference books on WW2 AFV's.

I am most interested in U.S., U.K., and German AFV's. I would prefer books that provide good illustrations and technical depth.

I am also interested in finding some good books that deal with U.S. tank destroyers specifically.

I would like to hear what the members of this board recommend.

Thanks in advance!

I have had the Osprey New Vanguard series books recommended to me. My only reservation is that in order to cover even a portion of the AFV's involved, I would need to invest in 30+ books at $15-$20 a pop.

It seems like there ought to be some books out there in the $50+ range that offer the same amount of detail while covering more than a single vehicle. Of course, I've yet to find any!

For Russian/Soviet vehicles I like Zaloga's Red Army handbook the best. It is not exclusivly about AFVs but the AFV information in it is still way ahead of many other books.

Camberlains "Encyclopedia Of German Tanks Of World War Two" is very good, as is his British and American tanks book.

The Vanguard books vary a lot in quality, not surprisingly, depending on who wrote that particular one. Everything written by Zaloga is worth picking up right away, IMHO.

I don't like Forty's books.

Jentz' books are good for the integration and usage of AFVs but not so much about the AFVs themself.

Hi btm,

I have, and highly suggest, the following books :

Chamberlain & Doyle

Encyclopedia of german tanks of world war two

and

British and american tanks of world war two

Both have LOTS of pictures and are true references, IMHO. You get one or more picture per vehicle, and the technical details. And both cover the HT´s and SPG´s .

I have ,from Tim Bean and Will Fowler, Russian tanks of world war II ( Stalins armored fist ).

Only tanks are mentioned, but it starts with the first russian tankengagements ever, sumthing around 1919 and leads from there to 1945 and parts of the early 1950´s .

I like both.

Originally posted by Scheer:

Hi btm,

I have, and highly suggest, the following books :

Chamberlain & Doyle

Encyclopedia of german tanks of world war two

and

British and american tanks of world war two

Both have LOTS of pictures and are true references, IMHO. You get one or more picture per vehicle, and the technical details. And both cover the HT´s and SPG´s .

I have ,from Tim Bean and Will Fowler, Russian tanks of world war II ( Stalins armored fist ).

Only tanks are mentioned, but it starts with the first russian tankengagements ever, sumthing around 1919 and leads from there to 1945 and parts of the early 1950´s .

I like both.

The books by Chamberlain and Doyle The Encyclodeia of German Tanks and American and British Tanks are very good.

For Russian Tanks there is no better reference that Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of World War Two by Steven Zaloga and James Grandsen. Mr. Zaloga's Red Army Handbook is very informative about Soviet subjects that include more than just tanks.

A single volume that covers most of these fairly well is World War II Tanks by George Forty.

Hope this helps.

Panther Commander

"British and American tanks of world war two"

I picked up a copy of that book 27(?) years ago and I've yet to find a reference book that's handier. A couple bits might be out of date (a confusing number of Firefly type postulated) but otherwise its a rock-solid reference work.

You don't have many options on the tank destroyer front. Squadron/Signal publishes "U.S. Tank Destroyers in Action," which includes a fair amount of technical info and many pictures. Lonnie Gill published (in cooperation with the TD Association) "Tank Destroyer Forces: WWII," which is impressive but hard to find and a tad costly. I have a history of the TD Force coming out from Casemate in circa October, but it does not focus on the hardware so much as the men, units, and combat.

Originally posted by Sirocco:

I have World War Two AFV's, George Forty. It's not a particularly stellar book, but it has a lot of good museum photographs of AFV's.

Seconded. It has nice pictures but the text is disappointing to wrong. Camberlain/Doyle are much better.

Originally posted by btm:

Tried to post this in the general forum, but no one there is interested in discussing topics related to WW2. Rather frustrating.

I am looking for a few high-quality reference books on WW2 AFV's.

You should have phrased your question, "I am looking for a few high-quality reference books on WW2 AFV's that George Bush may or may not have read."