Desert Warfare - Afrika Korps?

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

]Heavy tree maps in NA are about as dense as light tree maps in europe. So it isnt the same.

Still with large/medium hills & a village... surely that would provide enough 'features' for people. Heck make a map with more tree's.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sand digger:

Definately bought it for the desert battles and thats basically all its used for. No skulking in the woods, hiding behind a house, use the pure unaltered terrain, love it smile.gif

During the Reign of the Matilda the game is unfortunately skewed against the Axis. Play a QB against a competent opponent who has Matilda's and you can't win. Due to a number of factors. One, big HE is way undermodelled in its effect against armour. Two, the German tanks are given no chance at all of inflicting damage and behave through the TacAI accordingly. Three, you can't indirect fire on map artillery nor can you dig it in.

But that aside, damm good, love the desert.

Do you mean that you can't have dug in guns?

because you can

Or is it that you can't dig in during a battle?

Which would be nigh on impossible. Try digging a hole big enough to hide a large trailer in in under an hour.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

[QB] Offhand, the only major battle I can think of that had a lot of nighttime fighting was 2nd. Alamein.

IIRC then 'Scobies' 70th Divison attack out of Tobruk during crusader also began at night... I keep on meaning to make an AK operation on that action

Weaponry evolved during WW II at a fantastic pace. Compared to late-war stuff, the early-war tank guns and AT guns seem almost like pop guns. But the fact is that battles were fought and decided with such guns. So let's not deride them too much. I know that if I were sitting in a foxhole somewhere with nothing but a rifle in my hands, I would not be too greatly reassured to know that the company of tanks headed in my direction were only armed with 37mm cannon and MGs.

:D

Michael

Last night I played a "50mm gun PzIII Ls vs Stuarts" QB for the first time in a loooong time. It turned out to be a hoot, especially when, after besting the Stuarts in maneuver warfare an unexpected Sherman übertank showed up and wiped the floor with me! Games seem to be considerably MORE entertaining if you avoid using the usual Tigers and Panthers!

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by junk2drive:

...probably more historical.

Why more historical? Most of the battles were fought in daylight. The Axis especially did not like to fight at night, and the Allies only did so occasionally.</font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sand digger:

Definately bought it for the desert battles and thats basically all its used for. No skulking in the woods, hiding behind a house, use the pure unaltered terrain, love it smile.gif

During the Reign of the Matilda the game is unfortunately skewed against the Axis. Play a QB against a competent opponent who has Matilda's and you can't win. Due to a number of factors. One, big HE is way undermodelled in its effect against armour. Two, the German tanks are given no chance at all of inflicting damage and behave through the TacAI accordingly. Three, you can't indirect fire on map artillery nor can you dig it in.

But that aside, damm good, love the desert.

Do you mean that you can't have dug in guns?

because you can

Or is it that you can't dig in during a battle?

Which would be nigh on impossible. Try digging a hole big enough to hide a large trailer in in under an hour. </font>

Originally posted by Snarker:

Actually, I'm playing The Dead Salute the Gods and I'm loving it. Armor on armor, excellent map.

Glad you are enjoying the fight!!

When I make a map, I just imagine a place that I've seen in RL that appears similar to the map I'm making. This helps me envision elevations and natural obsticles.

Making the map is half the fun for me...