night casualties

Is it just my imagination, or do casualties occur faster in night battles than daylight battles. I suppose it could be the reduced LOS causes casualties faster, but I have played in rain and fog (which is about the same LOS as night) and the squads doesnt seem to go to eliminated as fast as they are in this night battle I am playing.

Am I imagining things?

Originally posted by Grimthane:

That's an understatement jeff.

Anyone who played St Ed's in ROWV can tell you that you can easily kill more of your own than theirs, :(

Tell me about it. I had my best German Company commander rush into a heavy building to assist friendlies in their attempt to clear it out only to be gunned down to a man from the cross fire from two "friendly" squads. That particular bungle would have cost me big time in victory points.

:(

Regards

Jim R.

It is mostly short range. The only other factor may be more unbalanced suppression, but I suspect it is small. By that I mean the side getting the worst of it pins more thoroughly, thus fires back less, thus suppresses the shooters less. The flip side and the reason I suspect it is small, is one shot can suppress the shooters pretty efficiently.

As for friendly fire, while I have certainly encountered it the worst of it comes from any attempt to use area fire. At night, don't user area fire. As for the idea running away causes it, I doubt it. Breaking contact is actually a reasonable thing to do in short LOS fights, when you are getting worse than you are giving.

My own experience is that all short LOS fighting tends to be (1) bloody (2) lopsided, meaning complete kills for the loser (3) quality and command skill dependent, meaning vets beat greens and humans beat AI and good humans beat less experienced humans. Short movements to get differential LOS, many on few, are the win-driver.