Light Mortars

Originally posted by throwdjohn:

kingfish you write that you make an effort to use 3" mortars realistically, what do you mean by that?

Flamingknives hit the nail on the head. I always buy a uni carrier for each 3" mortar team, and when unloading them I never move them farther than a few meters away from the carrier. The exception being when they are deployed on the defense, and even then I never move them unless they load up into a prime mover.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

I can't say those little mortars with their low ammo loadout have been much use to me in the game.

They're great for giving you that 'little extra something' in a contact with enemy infantry. A round or two of 50mm on top of the regular small arms can make the difference between whether an enemy squads gets pinned or not, breaks or not. They're extremely useful. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I'm curious about how you use smoke in defending.

Michael

Dropping a quick LOS shield to allow units under fire to fallback, or bring reserves forward unobserved. </font>

Light mortars may be overmodeled in CM. I'm don't have the scholarship to back such a debate (and neither do most of you weasels that talk too much!! :eek: ). But I can say I give the light mortars, save the brit 2inch, the MVP award in CM.

I come from the school that says never move a vehicle into unscouted territory without mortar over-watch. No exceptions. If you obey that rule light mortars quickly become more useful to you because of their mobility. The lights are quite effective in CM!! Especially those russian 50mm.

itd be nice in cmx2 to be able to just drop 2 rounds or so like u said. with 2 inchers, you get one round of firing, so thats where the ammo shortages are noticed first, but its the same with all of them. also, whats with the weird mortar bomb dispersal? irl, if a mortar (with spotter) was aiming at, say, a foxhole, a)would the team not wait for corrections before really opening up? and B) wouldn't the dispersal be more or less in a circle around the target rather than a straight line?

Originally posted by throwdjohn:

...wouldn't the dispersal be more or less in a circle around the target rather than a straight line?

Likely it would be an ellipse, but a much shorter, rounder one than that formed by lower angle fire. My guess is that BFC used the same pattern of dispersion for mortars as for other forms of direct fire (since it's on-map, it's counted as direct fire, maybe).

Michael

Michael

For retreating in an orderly way to a new position and not getting shot to pieces in the process.

Doesn't work all the time - depends on accuracy of the mortar rounds and the situation.

But if you need to quickly abandon a position to get to cover (woods, behind a hill contour), the 2" can be effective. It's got to be better than just sitting in an exposed position and getting shot to pieces.

I position them behind my infantry line, where the rounds will drop down right in front of the infantry.

[ May 03, 2005, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: blue division ]

Here is an interesting pic of a training exercise by troops of the Regina rifles:

smokemortar.jpg

According to the caption, the troops in the foreground are 2" mortar crews, which just layed the screen for the infantry deployed on the slope. That appears to be an effective screen. Far better than anything I could have created in CM.

Originally posted by dalem:

That appears to be an effective screen. Far better than anything I could have created in CM.

But in CM you can't Area Fire into the Smoke, so maybe it evens out?</font>

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

That appears to be an effective screen. Far better than anything I could have created in CM.

But in CM you can't Area Fire into the Smoke, so maybe it evens out?</font>

Michael

The Sten SMG was effective only at 10 metres range, so the standard tactic was to always lay a smoke screen right in front of own positions so that the Jerry would have had to come within range.

Recent research has uncovered that the Vickers was a super-heavy indirect firing uber-machinegun. The BREN was a super mobile medium machinegun of mythical proportions. And the best light machinegun also too (Of course).

But its now apparent that the STEN was actually a SAW and a light machinegun and a SAW and a submachinegun in addition also too.

This, and the fact that CW troops ran around with WWI helmutts, shows the world how great they were.