St. Lambert-sur-Dives

Kingfish

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AIUI, there were only 3 places where German vehicles could cross the Dives during the period Aug 18 / 20: Magny, St. Lambert and Moissey. In "Steel Inferno" Michael Reynolds describes the 3rd Fallschimjager division, with 2 attached Tigers, crossing at St. Lambert. KG Olboeter, of 12th SS HJ, also had 2 Tigers under their command, and they were ordered to cross right behind the 3rd FJ.

• 1 month later...

2 quick questions, one specific to the battle for St. Lambert, the other related to the Falaise pocket

1) How much of St. Lambert did Currie's force capture during August 19th / 20th? I've read accounts that say only half the village was taken, while others (the SAR book in particular) that say they had units in defensive positions around the "Marie" building and the bridges, which is near the southern end of the village.

2) At what point was the Magny crossing point (NW of St. Lambert on the Dives river) no longer available to the Germans?

1) only Half of the village was ever really in solid control of the Currie force. And yes, they had defensive positions up to the Marie bldg (town hall). The Canadians were VERY thin on the ground, infantry-wise.

But during the last breakout attempt of the remaining German forces, Currie pulled his tanks and attached infantry back to the NorthWest end of the Village. It had gotten too risky with the limited infantry coverage he did have. And since the Germans were not interested in staying to fight (they just wanted to make it to Mt. Ormel), Currie was content to let them go by. But now and then the Germans would make a wrong turn up the D13 and the fight was back on.

2) It's my understanding that the Magny crossing was always in German hands. No allied forces (other than RAF and Artillery) had access to that crossing.

Gpig

• 2 weeks later...

Just some comments on the briefings (no spoilers)

Just set up battle 2 with Jon S. Minor points

* II Canadian Corps has dropped the "s" from Corps and appears as Corp

* you make reference to 'B' Company and Swatty Wotherspoon in the Canadian side briefing, but don't explain who they are. I can understand this if all three scenarios are played in succession, but would be confusing for someone not versed in this battle who is playing Battle 2 out of sequence

* the last sentence of the briefing is repeated (ie your mention of asterisks denoting actual historical personages)

* you mention Currie is the only Canadian to be awarded the VC in Normandy and living. Actually, he was the only Canadian VC in Normandy at all, dead or alive.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/medals/victorialist.htm

He was also the only Canadian in NW Europe to get the Victoria Cross in the entire year of 1944, and the only member of the Canadian Armoured Corps in history to receive the VC.

Oh, forgot to mention what a great job was done on the map - nice to see the action set at angles to the board edge, enough room to maneuver, and a photo realistic depiction of the terrain. And a reasonable and realistic force mix. Looking forward to this one very much. Plus some clever depictions of units not actually engaged in the action....anyone wondering what I mean needs to set this up for themselves and take a look.

[ May 02, 2005, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

some clever depictions of units not actually engaged in the action....anyone wondering what I mean needs to set this up for themselves and take a look.

I could, but that would be cheating.

In the Axis briefing there are a couple of cases of missing capitalisation from names.

Either

"My heroic and horribly outnumbered forces prevailed through superlative skill. Great scenario."

Or

"Dorosh cheated like a bitch. Not that he needed to, because my forces were hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned. This scen sux0rz."

;)

Do my eyes decieve me, or was the forum from which kenny posted those nice Panther pics seriously engaged in a discussion of what style of track hangers are mounted on the turrets of LSSAH Panthers?

Somehow it is a comfort to know that someone, somewhere is an expert on such things...

Originally posted by JonS:

Either

"My heroic and horribly outnumbered forces prevailed through superlative skill. Great scenario."

Or

"Dorosh cheated like a bitch. Not that he needed to, because my forces were hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned. This scen sux0rz."

;)

JonS writes AARs like German military officers write divisional histories. Long on tall tales of heroic sacrifice with a dash of revisionistic excuses... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

(on the topic of "were there Tigers there?", I can only say that our playtest experience of scenario #1 at least tells us that if there were then the Allies didn't stand a chance! ... however the players are not supplied with infantry who could get around to leaping up on the Tiger, so maybe that is the problem?)

• 3 months later...

Dorosh (Canadians) and I (mixed germans) are about halfway through. St Lambert is being progressively razed to the ground, and there are lots of clanky things from both sides wondering where their respective crews got to. Infantry combat has been fairly slight.

Right at the moment we're in a bit of a Mexican-standoff, each holding some important pieces of ground, but neither of us particularly willing to push out of these strongholds.

The long straight roads, and limited offroad mobility for vehs (due to heavy vegetation) makes for some devastating firelanes, as I found to my cost in the first few turns. I've run about a dozen trucks away to the east and off map, carrying dismounted crews and other useless units. No points for that, and in fact it'll be damaging my morale, but fgiven the scenario it seems the right thing to do.

No planes have turned up yet, but all my guys are nervously looking over their shoulders.

Progress has been fairly slow because of Real Life at both ends. Go figure - we both have lives. Who knew?

Ok, these were taken during the orders phase of turn 26 (of 45).

First up, a view NW down the D13 towards TRUN, from about halfway through St LAMBERT:

2133_1024.ts1125042901160.jpg

This one is a bit further west in St LAMBERT, still on the D13, still looking toward TRUN. In the foreground is the road that runs from the CHATEU DE QUANTITE to Mt ORMEL. Not a good day for the RCAC:

2132_1024.ts1125042910744.jpg

Here we're over the little cross-roads hamlet about 400m NE of the previous intersection, back towards St LAMBERT and the fires from the previous pic. Dorosh showed up here with a troop of Shermans, a troop of Achilles, and a bunch of Crusader AAs, but no infantry. I, on the other hand, have some infantry, but no AFVs. Interesting Mexican standoff:

2131_1024.ts1125042920768.jpg

And this is part of the reason my infantry in the Hamlet have been able to at least hold their own. This is taken from the E end of St LAMBERT, and the view is N down the road to the hamlet. D13 is the second road leading off to the left. From here he has been able to keyhole down the road, and prevent the Canadian armour from getting too adventurous there:

2130_1024.ts1125042931784.jpg

Regards

JonS