Valuable WW 2 Color photo resource

MikeyD,

In my AFV-G2 magazine days, there used to be paint chips in each issue matched as exactly as possible, using Floquil colors, to the various AFV base and camouflage colors. I remember marveling over how green and intense OD was, but the commentary noted the rapidity with which it bleached and chalked, especially in hot climes.

The halftrack looks decidedly war weary, whereas the Hellcat looks more like a relatively recent arrival to the field. There was inter batch variation in precise paint color parameters, too.

Regards,

John Kettler

joethejet,

You're welcome! Have you seen any of the History Channel series World War 2 in Color or the PBS series Perilous Fight, also in color? If not, you're missing out. The often pristine footage has a clarity, immersiveness and sense of personal presence which is simply astounding. An entirely different experience than seeing things in black and white!

Regards,

John Kettler

That's a neat site there John.

Problem - modder point of view now - is that one cannot really trust the colours of photos. Meaning the shade they display is not necessarily the shades your eyes would have detected if you were on the spot.

Sepp Dietrichs uniform is a telling example. That series of photos from his birthday (samples of the series are present on the site) prompted an artist to make paintings of Dietrich with that glowing, radiant jade-green uniform. But in fact it is merely a light effect and a less-than-super lens. So it's tricky.

One thing that is very well displayed is the mass use of foreign uniforms in the German army. I see Polish and Czech re-cuts in many photos here.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Somehow when you see this stuff in color it looks like a bad 1960s movie :D;)

Interesting in this picture, the halftrack's 'olive drab' but the TD looks distinctly more 'green'. Something for hobbyists (and modders) to consider.

battle_of_the_bulge.jpg

Given there is no provenance listed for those photos, there is a chance that picture in particular is a shot of re-enactors. Fort Indiantown Gap draws collections of soldiers numbering in the hundreds, along with armor and restored vehicles. The color as well as some other details in the photo suggest a post war origin.

I notice he has stolen photos from my site - I certainly never gave him permission. I think they are all public domain but they are certainly ones that I scanned and reproduced.

The captions are uninformed as well.

Nonetheless I snagged all the German ones for my hard drive. ;)

I see there are "contemporary" photos listed there - in the sense they are using, meaning modern photos of restored WW II kit.

Oh, the Russian photos are well done too...I've never seen the VE Day parade pics in colour before -didn't know they existed, especially the one with the German standarten being readied for the scrapheap/bonfire/whatever they did with them.

[ February 10, 2006, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Michael Dorosh,

To be "thorougly inspid" back, I hope you're as acknowledging of me when I get something right.

Getting you to concede a point is much tougher than pulling teeth on an unanaesthetized sabertooth cat. From what I've seen, you systematically ignore inconvenient responses while worrying aspects that annoy you with more enthusiasm than a terrier on speed shaking a rat.

All hail to the man who got there first with the link! I make it a point of never knowingly claiming credit for what others have done.

Regards,

John Kettler

Doesn't matter to me who posted it first, but I'm really glad John posted it to the forum I tend to look at! smile.gif

I have not seen those series, but I will keep an eye out. Having seen so many in B&W, I look forward to

seeing in color. Is this what you're talking about: http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=42760

Surprising that there weren't more color made sooner after the war?

Jet

[ February 13, 2006, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: joethejet ]

Originally posted by joethejet:

Doesn't matter to me who posted it first, but I'm really glad John posted it to the forum I tend to look at! smile.gif

I have not seen those series, but I will keep an eye out. Having seen so many in B&W, I look forward to

seeing in color.

Surprising that there weren't more color made sooner after the war?

Jet

There were tons made after the war. Check an archives sometime. Most were never published. Most were of boring things like kid's birthday parties, trees, stuff like that. The war being over, there wasn't much call for military photos... Trouble was in expense - hence relative lack of colour photos - especially "candid" colour photos - until well after WW II.

JohnK,

Right you are. Famous German General. That's a Knights Cross with Oak Leaf clusters worn at his throat. Iron Class 1st class would be worn in center of left pocket (or there abouts for tunics that did not have pockets such as the Flieger Blouse or the Pz Wrap_around). Iron Cross 2nd class was typically worn as a ribbon in the next to top button hole (or ribbion bar on left breast).

As to the officer in question; here's some hints: Commanded a Pz Army, as part of Army Group Center, in the invasion of Russia, later became Inspector General Heer, was fired a couple of times by Hitler because he argued with him. Initials H.G.

Very famous indeed, even ended up in the learics of a song called "Roads to Moscow" by Al Stewart. A song, by the way, that should touch the heart or nerve of every CM'er on the forum.

DavidI