About the Progress of CMX2

BF.C hasn't yet responded to confirm or dis-confirm that CMX2's first "module" will be Eastern Front 1939. I suspect it will be the best and only logical subject matter for the first module - Finland, Russia, Poland as the major combatants, possibly with fictional encounters involving the armies of Japan (vs. Russia), Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania (vs. Russia or possibly fictional encounters vs. Poland).

I am sure the Finnish members of the board are quite excited by this prospect, though I think they were all Continuation War fans rather than Winter War fans.

Of course you must remember Dorosh has been smoking his CMx2 East Front crack for a while now... and there is no end in sight! One can always hope he will extricate himself from the huge brown cloud of crack smoke and see the light of day. :D

The short answer is:

Steve and Co. have given no indication that things are anything other than "on schedule" - THEIR schedule of course, which could change and we would never know it. The last target from last winter ('04 to '05) was winter of '05/06, per BF.

Originally posted by legend42:

I know "its done when its done", but can anyone confirm the progress of CMX2?

Behind schedule?

On schedule?

Ahead of schedule?

I'd go so far as to make the bold statement that "its done when its done", and not a day sooner.

And the release date is probably around 2006 or later, so there will be a lot of time for these threads later, yeah ?

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Keep in mind that several of those were bumped up from the depths of earlier this year by Dorosh so he could spew crazy ramblings about East Front 1939 and just be otherwise weird.

Not at all; I thought they were germaine to the current crop of "Oh my God pleeeese tell us about CMX2" posts. Hey, if Kipper and M1 and et al can post ad infinitum about their deranged idea CMX2 will be suitable for a Cold War/Future War in Korea module, surely a little common sense can be allowed to prevail.

Besides, Steve was posting about horses just today. They didn't have horses in the Fulda Gap in 1985. So it can only mean one thing. Pulkkas and reindeer, baby!!!!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Keep in mind that several of those were bumped up from the depths of earlier this year by Dorosh so he could spew crazy ramblings about East Front 1939 and just be otherwise weird.

Not at all; I thought they were germaine to the current crop of "Oh my God pleeeese tell us about CMX2" posts. Hey, if Kipper and M1 and et al can post ad infinitum about their deranged idea CMX2 will be suitable for a Cold War/Future War in Korea module, surely a little common sense can be allowed to prevail.

Besides, Steve was posting about horses just today. They didn't have horses in the Fulda Gap in 1985. So it can only mean one thing. Pulkkas and reindeer, baby!!!! </font>

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Besides, Steve was posting about horses just today. They didn't have horses in the Fulda Gap in 1985. So it can only mean one thing. Pulkkas and reindeer, baby!!!! </font>

Originally posted by Soddball:

Dorosh doesn't need another stalker. </font>

See Michael, for me it's the opposite. I want a near-future CMX2, and you want East Front 1939. You think that near-future could be handled well in OFP 2, and think an FPS where I could be an uber-Finn would be pretty much the coolest thing of all time. And they could still follow many FPS standby rules: your character could be shot 20 times before you die, you can carry 10 guns, you kill thousands of foes singlehandedly, etc. It would be called "Winter War" and the tagline would be "You're Finnished!!" and have a picture of a bare-chested Rambo-like fellow on skis with a Maxim machine gun in one hand and a panzerschrek in the other on the cover. It would fly off the shelves.

You would ride the reindeer in the requisite "rail shooter" portion where you follow a predetermined track at a predetermined speed and kill every one you see along the way. OR, it would be like in that crappy shooter Dead To Rights wherein you could sic your dog on a guy and the dog would run over and tear out the dude's throat. You would tell the reindeer to attack and he would charge and gore them with his antlers. OR the plot is that the evil maniacal scientist you are fighting is injecting poor innocent reindeer with his "Mega-Mutant" Serum, turning them into an army of super-soldier reindeer. There's a lot you can do with the topic. The most important part is that the protagonist talks to himself like in Duke Nukem and Dark Forces and such.

I think the real question would be whether it should be first person or third person perspective. See, with first person you get more immersion, but with third person, you get shoot dodges, "bullet time", and kung fu (or some Finnish martial art). Right now I'm thinking third-person, just so it is easier to implement hand-to-hand combat. Only one thing is for sure: Full Motion Video cuscenes, baby!

[ July 22, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: juan_gigante ]

And minigames! Hit the arrow keys in time to a beat, and something cool happens. Oh, this would be the best game ever. Also, Wolfenstein-style secret rooms that you open by pressing against the wall or, stay with me here, by blowing holes in specific points in the wall with the dozens of demo packs that you carry. The question is, how will we convince George Takai (Sulu from Star Trek) to be the narrator?

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

And minigames! Hit the arrow keys in time to a beat, and something cool happens. Oh, this would be the best game ever. Also, Wolfenstein-style secret rooms that you open by pressing against the wall or, stay with me here, by blowing holes in specific points in the wall with the dozens of demo packs that you carry. The question is, how will we convince George Takai (Sulu from Star Trek) to be the narrator?

Shatner worked for hair pieces; no reason to think Takei wouldn't do the same. Throw in some of that Ronco spray on stuff for good measure.