interface tweak

Pud

I have a couple of observations. Three actually.

The first is that your mod looks better. smile.gif

The second is, as has been noted it makes a certain kind of sense for the word 'green' to be green.

But...in the CM interface, the color green is used to signify that something performs well, yellow moderatly, and red poorly. Something that performs super well is coded blue. This convention is held pretty consistently and I'm sure it's why green troops are signified with a red-coded name.

By all means, people can mod their interface to suit themselves and should do so if they wish. I just wanted to make the point that BFC wasn't being arbitrary or nonsensical.

Michael

[ November 22, 2003, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Michael, of course it makes sense for them to have put the word 'green' in red color for the reason you state. It goes without saying. But despite that, some of us might just prefer it to be green anyway. Having the word 'green' written in its diametrically opposite color on the color wheel becomes like some sort of Magritte painting: a synaesthesic puzzle, a graphospectral conundrum, an orthographic oxymoron—all of which translates into a stress factor on the brain. Put too many of those together and the interface begins to give the impression of being 'jumbled'. So I think Pud made a very good choice, in fine tuning what is already an EXCELLENT and nice looking interface.

[ November 23, 2003, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Yeah, Michael is right, red is bad, yellow is uh-oh, and green is good. The idea being that you are passing general information to the player before he has a chance to read it, kind of organically, alerting him to take note of it. But whatever, the bmp's are there to be modded, so have at it.

Originally posted by deanco:

Yeah, Michael is right, red is bad, yellow is uh-oh, and green is good. The idea being that you are passing general information to the player before he has a chance to read it, kind of organically, alerting him to take note of it. But whatever, the bmp's are there to be modded, so have at it.

I think your average player is swift enough to memorize two or three different colours codes though; the armour and penetration codes are hardcoded in any event.

For my own interface, I use green for Conscript and Green, blue for Regular and Veteran, and purple for Crack and Elite. Green for obvious reasons, purple because it's the colour of royalty and associated with valour, and blue because it is a nice middle range between green and purple. There's no chance of getting them mistaken with the armour color code, since the words are right there to be read.

I colour coded the fatigue and morale status markers from white moving through yellow to red; I guess similar to the BFC colour code but I think the white better represents a "normal" status than green because it matched the rest of my interface and doesn't attract the eye. Since the colours aren't necessarily immediately intuitive, I added the tic marks to indicate exactly where on the progression each state lies; so instead of having to remember that "Wary" is the third lowest morale state between "Alert" and "Shaken", ya just have to look at the tic marks.

The great thing about the interface is that there is lots of room for creativity as Pud is amply demonstrating.

aadel.gif