Dust and You. What the Cheery Waffler needs to know about North Africa

Snarker

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gamey of the gamiest updates.

Congratulations to Mike for playing like Chuykov. Despite the fact I was attacking, he managed on mustering up the entire Soviet 62nd Army to oppose my meagre, half-starved company attacking in the ruins of a city.

The results were as ugly as a PBEM with Mastergoodale. I accepted my fate like a man and surrendered on turn 18 of 20. I was dead, even had the Luftwaffe managed to airlift in a platoon of Tigers. :mad: Well played, you gamey PPSh-41-wielding maniac, you. :mad:

Crow and I are drawing to a close in Soddball's hell on earth creation, Ice Cold in Ireland. Crow has already challenged me to a "smaller" CMAK game. As long as it's not made by Soddball. :mad:

Teddy is enjoying a "target rich" environment in our CMAK game. He said he is worried about the dust clouds on the horizon. He should be. :mad:

Jim "Now you see me, now you don't" Boggs gave up the ghost in our five-a-side AFV fight. Final score — my Shermans 5, his PZIVs, 3. w00t!!

Becket and I are playing one of the CMAK demo scenarios. Not much to report, other than the fact Becket is a blockhead. :mad:

Snarker is too inept to work his e-mail. It is to laugh.

Ha!

Back to work. :mad:

[ November 27, 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Axe2121 ]

<font size=+2>Pardon the Interruption</font size=+2>

On this, the official day of Thanksgiving in the USA, I'm taking a moment to express my thanks to BTS/BFC for creating the games which have brought this amazingly diverse community together. I'm sure when these talented men had the inspiration to develop "The Best Wargames Ever", they could not have foreseen side effects like the Cheery Waffle and the Peng threads, not to mention the General Forum. :rolleyes::D

For each of you gentlemen, and ladies, who populate these forums, I thank you for being part of my life. We've shared news of marriages and illnesses, births and deaths. Whether we like it or not, we really are a community. :D:D

Special thanks to those of you I have had the great pleasure to play in PBEMs. I can honestly say the e-mail conversations with you mean far more than the results of the games themselves. I'm looking forward to continually widening that circle of friends. :D

So, whether this is a national day of thanks in your particular country or not,

<font size=+4>Happy Thanksgiving!!</font size=+4>

Originally posted by Dave H:

Whether we like it or not, we really are a community.

Etymology and definition of the term "community"

The word has been in the English language since 14c., comes from Latin; became established in English in a range of senses:

1. the commons or common people, as distinguished from those of rank;

2. a state of organized society, in its later uses relatively small;

3. the people of a district;

4. the quality of holding something in common, as in community of interests, community of goods;

5. a sense of common identity and characteristics.

Senses 1-3 indicate actual social groups.

Senses 4-5 indicate a particular quality of relationship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Community versus Society

Community versus Formal Organization

Community (from 17c.) was felt to be more immediate than society. An attempt to distinguish the body of direct relationships from the organized establishment of the state. From 19c. the sense of immediacy or locality was strongly developed in the context of larger and more complex industrial societies. It has been joined by commune (French) and Gemeinde or Gemeinshaft (German) to express particular kind of relationships.

The contrast, increasingly expressed in the 19th century, between the:

* more direct

* more total

* more significant

relationships of community and the

* more formal

* more abstract

* more instrumental

relationships of society

was influentially formalized by Tonnies (1887) as a contrast between Gemeinshaft (community) and Gesellshaft (society).

"Community" has been "the warmly persuasive word to describe an existing set of relationships; or the warmly persuasive word to describe an alternative set of relationships. It seems never to be used unfavourably and never to be given any positive opposing or distinguishing term.

Complexity of the term "community": Relates to the difficult interaction between the tendencies originally distinguished in the historical development: on the one hand the sense of direct common concern ; on the other hand - the materialization of various forms of common organization.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of contemporary uses:

* 1. Local groupings based on proximity and sometimes face-to-face relationships (as in local community, community work);

* 2. Community of interests (as in research community, business community); and characteristics (as in ethnic community).

* 3. Quality of relationships - sharing of common goals, values, identities; participatory decision-making and symbolic production; and connected with these - emotional and moral investments.

Howard Rheingold Virtual communities are: "social aggregations that emerge from the Net when people carry on those public discussions long enough, with sufficient human feeling, to form webs of personal relationships".

1993, "The Virtual Community"

From

here.

Seems Dave's interpretation is correct. :mad:

Russian SMG humor!

y609t091.jpg

Expert's Review

The vicar knows a great deal about his submachine gun. It is Russian in origin, a PPS H41, with two original magazines, used by both Russians and Germans. They were made in their thousands and the owner says this was the gun used in the film Cross of Iron with James Coburn. He has two drum magazines with it, one in its original pouch. Roy makes sure the gun is deactivated, i.e. disabled as a weapon, unless, as the man of the cloth points out, one feels inclined to use it as a club. Value £300 - £400.

From here.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

That does it — I challenge you to another beating of me Keke! :mad:

If you want to do that, I challenge you, the monkey of maggots, to go into the cesspool of scenarios, known as Der Kessel, and pick up one horrible creation from there. :mad:

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

And over here, ladies and gentlemen, you can see the primitive cave paintings. What your step, the monkeys tat live here aren't very... sanitary

I demand a game! With your poor typing skills, I am sure to win!

Berli — "Advance?!?! WTF?!?! I meant withdraw!!! AAARGRGRGGR!!!! "

Eastern front? Africa once I get CMAK? The Med? I'll let you pick your poison. :mad:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

And over here, ladies and gentlemen, you can see the primitive cave paintings. What your step, the monkeys tat live here aren't very... sanitary

I demand a game! With your poor typing skills, I am sure to win!

Berli — "Advance?!?! WTF?!?! I meant withdraw!!! AAARGRGRGGR!!!! "

Eastern front? Africa once I get CMAK? The Med? I'll let you pick your poison. :mad: </font>

I demand a game!

I've heard that ToysRUs carries a line of games a chimp such as yurself can handle

Eastern front? Africa once I get CMAK? The Med? I'll let you pick your poison. :mad:
East, South, makes no difference which gong I beat you like. Chose your poison monkeyboy

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Good grief.

I leave this thread alone for a few months and it turns into the peng challenge thread, only with more smilies.

:rolleyes:

Who said you could disturb our sanity anyway? :mad:

Where's your :mad: !!!!

ARGAHHAHRHARGAGRHAGRGAHRAHGRHAGRHGARHAGH!!!!

For the honour of MasterGoodale and The Brood, Axe9810231987432212187.93, you must crush Berli the nospall forerunner from the Peg charlemagne.

Originally posted by Soddball:

For the honour of MasterGoodale and The Brood, Axe9810231987432212187.93, you must crush Berli the nospall forerunner from the Peg charlemagne.

So it's going to be another defeat for the honour of

MasterGoodale? What's the point? :confused: