Looking for new infantry tactics

Zoppex

I play CMBB since it has been released. The new CMAK is probably the best of the best. The matter is, I used my infantry units to secure the advance of armoured cars and tanks. In the new CMAK the infantry units get tried very fast if I give the order to advance (fire and movement). As a result, these units are tired when reaching their positions. How to combine the movement commands in order to make them reaching their positions not that tired ?

In addition, I´d like you to give me some advice for infantry tactics and advance in North Africa or Kreta where is less cover for men.

Originally posted by Zoppex:

The matter is, I used my infantry units to secure the advance of armoured cars and tanks. In the new CMAK the infantry units get tried very fast if I give the order to advance (fire and movement). As a result, these units are tired when reaching their positions. How to combine the movement commands in order to make them reaching their positions not that tired ?

Try moving them in bounds of 50-100 meters. Then let them stop and rest. Unless you are fairly close to enemy troops, say, less than 150 meters, you might use a move or move to contact command instead. They can do that all day without getting tired. If they are having to cross open ground in sight of an enemy who can cause them casualties, put some smoke between them and the enemy.

Michael

I've found the tactic of advancing the infantry behind the tanks quite useful, as the three or four tanks generate enough dust to cover the infantry.

Of course this means that the tanks are quite vulnerable to AT-guns, but hey, you can't have it all...

Originally posted by Ted:

When they come to a stop put them in the "hide" mode. I understand they recoup faster that way.

I'm not sure if they recoup faster, but it increases the chances that your opponent will lose sight of them, which would reduce the amount of incoming fire.

I agree that moving by bounds is the only way to go in the desert. Depending on the level of enemy fire, either Advance and Rest, or Crawl and Rest.

I would not use Move to Contact unless you are very far away indeed from enemy MGs. At anything under 500 meters, Move to Contact through desert or brush seems likely to result in casualties.

No, the rate of recovery is the same in hide and when not moving (believe me I tested smile.gif ).

The advantage of givign "hide" to a unit under pressure is that the TacAI will not issue the f...ing auto-sneak commands which exhaust the unit and often go towards even more dangerous places.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I can see new possibilities opening up for gamey jeep rush tactics.

On the History Channel show about Rommel, it said that he would send out staff cars, with propellars attached to them, to cause dust, hoping to confuse the Allies.

Driving jeeps around out of LOS of the enemy to create deceptive dust clouds would be an acceptable tactic.

Sending the same jeep on essentially a suicide mission to create the dust to cover an advance would be a gamey tactic, since it is not one that would plausibly have been used in real life.

Zoppex suggested that in CMAK the troops tire especially quickly. I am still eagerly awaiting my copy, so I have no idea. Is it player's experience that infantry is more quick to tire in CMAK than in CMBB, or did Zoppex simply mean that the open desert terrain forces him to use more tiring commands (crawl, advance, etc) farther out from the enemy because of the shortage of concealment?

Originally posted by Rokossovski:

Zoppex suggested that in CMAK the troops tire especially quickly. I am still eagerly awaiting my copy, so I have no idea. Is it player's experience that infantry is more quick to tire in CMAK than in CMBB, or did Zoppex simply mean that the open desert terrain forces him to use more tiring commands (crawl, advance, etc) farther out from the enemy because of the shortage of concealment?

Running in sand could be a bit tiring I suppose...

//Salkin

Originally posted by SteppenWolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />On the History Channel show about Rommel, it said that he would send out staff cars, with propellars attached to them, to cause dust, hoping to confuse the Allies.

*wondering* now if these cars are presented in CMAK </font>

Originally posted by Rokossovski:

I received the game yesterday, so my experience is limited but my pretty secure impression is that the exhaustion rates did not change from CMBB, at least for ordered movement on my attacks.

Zoppex might have played in intense heat and/or sand.

I agree with Redwolf. I'm new to both CMBB and CMAK, and so was familiar only with CMBO. The only CMBB battle I've tried yet was 'Retake Viipuri' as Finns vs AI. I was surprised to see how quickly my Finns became exhausted while carrying out 'advance' commands. After playing the CMAK demo battles I noted a similar fatigue rates in both Allied and Axis infantry. Don't think it has changed between CMBB and CMAK, but a really big delta from CMBO.