Dumbest q this far?

"...since the barrel probably could be risen enough..."

Do you think? It being designed to shoot at bombers at 20-30,000'?

The problem is that it uses a fixed charge and is a high velocity gun, making it difficult to adjust the range. Indirect fire with 88mm, AFAIK, consisted of shallow ballistic arc and time-fused shells (intended for the AA role). Particularly nasty as, being as the shells travelled supersonically, the soldiers couldn't hear them coming.

In theory they could have been, but they were assigned (obviously) for AA role. They were designed and needed for that and the gun crews would then had to be trained for another function beside AA and DF. Since the 105mm was more effective for ground pounding, it would have been inefficient management of resources... which OTOH makes you wonder why Germans <u>didn't</u> do it. ;)

Btw. I recall the 88mm caliber may have been originally used by the Germans for coastal artillery in WWI era..?

I've read that it was used for indirect fire. In fact, in Spike Milligans war memoirs, he recalls a specific event when he first experienced being shelled indirectly by 88s in Tunisia. He even states that they were the worst guns to be shelled by because you couldn't hear the shell coming!

I think the book this is in is: Rommel? Gunner Who?...

I'm sure I've read many references to the US 76 mm gun, mounted on TDs, being used for indirect fire-- despite the same issues as confronted the German 88. Maybe not ideal for the purpose but in war you use the weapons you've got at the moment to accomplish the tasks at hand...

Similarly, a howitzer isn't an ideal direct fire or AT weapon, but if your battery is under attack, you'll use it for that.

I have read several accounts where the 88's were used as indirect artillery.

As has been pointed out almost any weapon can be made to fire indirectly. When a weapon is used for something other than the intended purpose it is not generally very effective.

I mean, just look how poorly the 88mm Flak did as an anti-tank weapon. :D

However, if the fire was observed and not just map firing then the 88's should have done as well as any other gun. They could be corrected by the observer and they should have done tolerably well. Firing blindly is not usually effective no matter which system you are using.

Panther Commander