I'm about to shoot my own "Elite" Sniper

David I

I'm playing as the Fallschirmjagers in "Hunters in the Orchard". One of my units is an "Elite" rated sniper. So far the sorry SOB hasn't fired a single shot. He has a Aussie squad 74 meters away and when I target them it shows that they are 41% exposed. For three turns I targeted them and he wouldn't shoot, so I targeted a Bofors gun at 90 meters with 0% exposure, still wouldn't shoot. I retargeted the original squad and two more turns went by without hime firing a shot.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm about to have him fix bayonet and do a solo banzai charge on the Bofors! Elite my butt. Do I have the only conscientious objector in the German Army?

DavidI

Originally posted by David I:

I'm playing as the Fallschirmjagers in "Hunters in the Orchard". One of my units is an "Elite" rated sniper. So far the sorry SOB hasn't fired a single shot. He has a Aussie squad 74 meters away and when I target them it shows that they are 41% exposed. For three turns I targeted them and he wouldn't shoot, so I targeted a Bofors gun at 90 meters with 0% exposure, still wouldn't shoot. I retargeted the original squad and two more turns went by without hime firing a shot.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm about to have him fix bayonet and do a solo banzai charge on the Bofors! Elite my butt. Do I have the only conscientious objector in the German Army?

DavidI

Snipers don't shoot at targets less than 100m away, something to do with self preservation. Check you manual.

74 meters is probably too close. A sniper knows that he'll be dead meat when spotted, and he'll always prefer to take shots at opponents less likely to see and kill him.

I generally don't use target orders with snipers at all. They're fairly idiosyncratic (being loners and all), but they'll usually make good use of their weapons when it's safe to do so. Let the sniper pick his own target.

Generally, snipers will not fire at anything under 100 meters. While in good covering terrain, they are more likely to fire and be most effective between 200 and 500 meters.

Also, one can order a sniper to fire at a particular target. However, they generally do a pretty fair job of choosing the juiciest and most lucrative targets on their own. This fact should be considered.

An elite sniper firing at the proper range, 200 to 500 meters, should be quite effective on infantry crews (AT teams, mg crews, mortar crews) and tank commanders. In fact, he is so good that he may fire away his ammo too quickly. You may have to have him hide or restrict his line of fire to the shorter ranges in the 200 to 500 meter zone.

Cheers, Richard

I'm beginning to like snipers, when I can get them. I played a Cecina battle recently. When I saw the Allied tanks coming across the fields I slipped a sniper into a nice comfy spot, with plenty of scattered trees and a little elevation, and left him to his own devices. That dude spanked those tank commanders. Gave me all kinds of time to line a Tiger up on them.

I've played that scenario and had the same problem, with a twist. I snuck the sniper in so close he wouldn't shoot, and then when I gave him orders to target, he didn't until an enemy got really close. No ammo was expended, thought it was a bug. Sidearm at close range (like a tank crew) as he won't shoot the rifle EVER under 100 yds.

Pull him back, put him where he's hard to see, let him concentrate on his targets, he's a sniper, he doesn't need to be close.

In the Cecina case I had him way back in scattered trees between buildings, he really had a keyhole to shoot through. But he was lined up on the ridge that the tanks would have to go over. So when he nailed the TCs the tanks forze in place which gave my Tiger great targets.

In CMBO I used to use Sharpshooters as scouts all the time. They are cheap, fairly stealthy, and as mentioned have good spotting abilities. I would usually get one or two per company of infantry and be sure to back them up with at least a platoon in case they found something or ran into trouble.

Michael

Originally posted by von Lucke:

Hmmm, I seem to have the opposite problem with snipers: Can't get them to not shoot at close-in targets --- with their pistol, that is. Always giving away their position by pot-shooting with their small-arm, when they should be lurking.

Have you tried using the hide command?

Why bother stopping them shooting?

I've never seen a sharpshooter give their position away by using their side arm. Rather, the fire coming from an unknown source can completly nix an attack by pinning units. I've had a sharpshooter within 5-10m of enemy units, firing his sidearm and not being spotted. Then he decided to use his rifle, and was instantly spotted and killed.