CMBO conversion?

haido

Originally posted by haido:

I've been hearing rumours of people modding the CMAK engine to take place in CMBO?

Is this true?

If so:

- When is it expected to come?

- Will it just be scenarios or a TC?

- Will we be able to play QB in western europe as well?

Thanks for any information.

What you are hearing rumors of, I believe, is that the CMAK game is being used to create North Western European scenarios. smile.gif

For the US CMAK will do about 90% of actions that have US units in them. The German forces are missing just a couple of things like King Tigers, Hunting Tigers and the VG. UK forces are a bit harder to recreate, because of the difference in tanks used in the Med vs what was used in NW Europe.

I know that a group called the Historic Scenario Group (HSG), is working on a pack of "Battle for France" scenarios, that are in playtesting at the moment. Those that are in current playtest can be found at The Proving Grounds. The pack is to include several battles and a couple of operations. I believe that pack will be released in about another month. :D

There are other NW Europe scenarios that have been posted to the CMAK section of The Scenario Depot. With more showing up daily. :cool:

I don't believe that BFC plans on an upgrade of CMBO. They are working on the new game engine CMx2 at the moment. They have not announced yet which theaters it will originally cover but you may see them revisit NW Europe then. I hope this helps.

Panther Commander

What I have done is Load an additional CMAK...renamed CMBO2 and started modifying the sky BMP with CMBB skys. The Italian Mountains are gone and left with rolling hills in the back ground. I had heard there is a sky size difference and won't dispute that. Just haven't noticed any blank spots. Navy Diver has been very involved with CMBO2. It's something he has posted about ect. He suggested using the small building CMBB mods to give a more NW Europe look. I am sure others Mods will come out for larger building, ect. I think the CMBB "Berlin" Mods might work well there. I love the CMAK years. The desert war and Tunisian Campaign are my absolute favorites. But I did want to have an improved France/Bulge/Germany ability. So if you've got the HD space you may want to have special CMBO2 directory

What might be fun is to see the old CMBO demo scenario "Chance Encounter" recreated in CMAK like it was in CMBB just to see how the differently the game plays in each.

A "CMBO conversion" would, I suppose, mean recreating CMBO maps in CMAK,adding matching forces to recreate the CMBO scenarios, and replaying the old scenarios using the updated engine.

My first though on that is "Woo Hoo! Let's redo 'A Walk In Paris!'", my second thought is most other old CMBO maps and scenarios would look rather small-scale now that we've been playing Russian steppes and African deserts for the last two years.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

What might be fun is to see the old CMBO demo scenario "Chance Encounter" recreated in CMAK like it was in CMBB just to see how the differently the game plays in each.

It has already been done, check out the Scenario Depot.

A "CMBO conversion" would, I suppose, mean recreating CMBO maps in CMAK,adding matching forces to recreate the CMBO scenarios, and replaying the old scenarios using the updated engine.

That is what is done. The battle I converted from CMBO, one of my own, was done through a picture of the old map and then slowly tile by tile putting it in CMAK. Takes 10-15 hours in total to get everything together.

I went down this road a bit. I sent my progress out to a few folks but it got lukewarm feedback. Most of what I did and recommend to do is easily doable by each player to his tastes. Like adding spices to soup. I'm new with CM but now see clearly that what folks plug in as mods is quite personal. So I'm backing off from posting status on the forum. What I personally like to see during gameplay is the goal of my further modding of CMAK into CMBO2. I'm having fun. Mark said he enjoyed some of what I did and he helped solve a few snags.

Recipe to make your own CMBO2 to your particular taste.

1. Copy and paste the horizons from CMBB into CMAK to get rid of Italian mountains. Unless you are trying for a Vosges Mt campaign!

2. Get rid of Italian flavor architecture. Get "Tanks a lot's" small building mods from CMBB and plug them in. Plug in large buildings from CMBB. Looks close enough for western Europe.

3. Bocage: It is not directly there as a terrain element but a thread in this forum reported you can use tall hedges like impassable bocage for US tanks until late summer 44 when hedgerow cutter arrives due to what seems to be a bug or holdover of code in the program.

4. Uniforms: I experimented around and used AndrewtF's awesome uniform mods to replace CMAK axis uniforms with what you'd see in a particular CMBO scenario. I have done some of my own minor mods to these uniforms. Sometimes I did things that I later found already done. Adding gloves, etc. I'm still tweeking on what I call "CMBO2 Bulge FJ" which is the above with all axis uniforms modded to be FJ/LW types and allies modded to have gloves/winter green pants. I hope to gather some snow camo vehicle mods and do more spicing up of this. Slowly I will also do the same thing for heer and Waffen-SS in the bulge. Note that these would be able to be used for any wintery timeframe not just during the Bulge. Then I will eventually do a similar process for summer of 44. Get rid of the gloves, winter coats, etc. I think I starred with winter since it was winter in RL!

If any modders want to contribute, the kinds of things I would like help on would be various CMBO2 splashscreens and getting a tiny little bitmap image of a map of Europe with Northwest europe kind of highlighted like you get when you have CMAK Italy with the "boot" highlighted in the overall tiny map of the Med. Icing on the cake changes.

Take care.

[ January 14, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: NavyDiver ]

I personally would love to see the wonderful building Mods done for CMBO re-done to fit CMAK. Add some new sky textures , grab the old CMBO splash screen, fix the map thing and wrap it up in a zip to be use with a mod manager so players can easily switch things about. I just finished playing "Last Defense" with my CMBO2 Mod. It looked great and played super...I got a tactical vic....LOL Just a wee bit tougher than the old CMBO version! It just makes you wanna quote Sherman:"War is Swell!"