Turret Jams?

I don't believe I have ever seen this in CMBO OR CMBB.

Is this new - or have I somehow beaten the odds of not having seen this till now?

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW;

I'm certain that I saw a PzIIIM with a jammed turret in the "Fruhlingswind" scenario.

I played as the Yanks, and advanced up to the ridge the German's initially start behind.

I rushed their tanks as they were appearing as re-inforcements with my M3's and upon smashing all of the German armour - the last tank's hull, was originally oblique to me, with his turret traversed, aimed directly off his left side (and at this time - aimed at me).

As I advanced towards him, he pivoted his hull to his left so his front was now facing me, but the gun - instead of traversing back to the tank's front - remained pointing immeadiately to his left.

My initial rounds seemed to kick up some dust that my gunners couldn't see through....though I could still see the enemy tank.

My M3's took an additional two turns to finally begin scoring hits again - as the enemy tank, reversed into some low ground behind the dust, and as my M3's advanced again - only then were they able to score the finishing blows.

During this whole time - the enemy tank's turret never moved from its position facing immeadiately left (where it had absolutely no targets and did not fire).

This lead me to believe that I either caused a turret jam (presumeably with one of my many partial turret penetrations) OR that I had killed the gunner who would otherwise operate the traverse (if this is now somehow modeled).

In either case - I seem to have managed to prevent the enemy tank's turret, from traversing back onto me and returning subsequent fire.

Again - I've never seen this before...

Anyhow - I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet, so I thought it worth posting about. smile.gif

It could either be a 'cover arc' or perhaps the tank was nailed with a 'gun damaged'. When that happens the turret usually stays in the position it was in when it got nailed.

There's been some debate on just what 'gun damaged' means in CM. People squak when they consider it just the gun itself being hit, because the proportion of damaged guns seem too high for just that. But if you include damage to recoil or elevation mechanism, shattered optics, or a jammed turret ring to name a few, then the occurrance of 'gun damaged' doesn't seem quite so high.

Originally posted by Little_Black_Devil:

This lead me to believe that I either caused a turret jam (presumeably with one of my many partial turret penetrations) OR that I had killed the gunner who would otherwise operate the traverse (if this is now somehow modeled).

OR

He has a damaged gun. A vehicle that suffers a gun damaging hit will no longer traverse the turret, since targetting is no longer an option.

Hmmm, I never considered that it could have been a gun hit.

As he never fired once his turret was "jammed" or otherwise prevented from traversing - I guess I can't be sure.

I didn't realize that a gun hit (or a specific manifestation of one) could produce these kinds of results - which would explain much. It would also seem to indicate that this isn't a "new" feature.

Nevertheless, it was cool (and lucky for me) to see this PzIIIM moving about wth his turret locked off to the side.

I do wish though, that it would have happened to me as opposed to an AI unit, so I could have had a better idea as to what it was that happened.

Can't have it all I guess. ;)

Thanks all smile.gif