Ammo question

APDS is Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot. Basically a heavy metal (these days DU) penetrator encased in a sabot casing to bring it up to the calibre of the weapon firing it. As the round leaves the muzzle the sabot peels off leaving the penetrator to contine to the target.

I'm not sure but I think APCR is a solid shot with a tungsten or similarly heavy metal core to aid in penetration.

An ammo grog will probably be along shortly to answer your question more fully smile.gif

[ March 04, 2005, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Captain Pies ]

BFC does model its projectiles as closely to the real thing as possible so AP, APBC, APCR, APDS and several other types DO have their own qualities. APDS isn't very accurate at long range and I believe some round types tend to shatter at certain angles. AP with a HE filler has more behind armor effect, etc. As an example compare the performance of the German 'squeeze bore' heavy anti-tank rifle with its subcaliber tungsten rounds to a plain-vanilla 37mm anti-tank gun.

The reason why there was no APDS in CMBB was because there was no APDS on the Eastern Front! I think that's mostly just a Brit design (Yanks have HVAP or whatever its callled, with a subcaliber tungsten core but the aluminum 'sabot' didn't separate from the round).

[ March 04, 2005, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]