Small scale CM3.

A lot of people over the years have wanted a modern version of CM, but one of the problems with it seems to be the lethality and accuracy of modern weapons, particularly artillery ad airpower.

One possible way round this might be a sort of "Combat Team" game, where the basic unit went from a squad of 10 or 12, represented by three figures, to a team of 3 represented by 3 figures.

Along with this quarter scale change would be a drop from 20m squares, to 4 or 5m squares with the maximum size of map, 100 x 100, or around 500m.

This would very much restrict combat to on board direct fir weapons, although off board could be used and included, but would need to be used very carefully.

By keeping the whole thing tight there could be the prospect of a good game that modeled small unit modern combat without it heavy weapons making those on the ground just cannon fodder.

Peter.

In the new engine, there'll be no squares.

Now there really aren't any squares in CM either. Combat resolution is much more fine than that, you know it. The tiles are merely a means for the scenario designer to put together a map. A forest ends where it ends, it's not a square shaped block always smile.gif It's possible that some similar "crutch" will be needed for map design in the new engine, but as such, there'll be no more tiles.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Now there really aren't any squares in CM either. Combat resolution is much more fine than that, you know it. The tiles are merely a means for the scenario designer to put together a map. A forest ends where it ends, it's not a square shaped block always smile.gif It's possible that some similar "crutch" will be needed for map design in the new engine, but as such, there'll be no more tiles.

Martin

w00t!!!!!!!

Revelations by Moon!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Martin

w00t!!!!!!!

Revelations by Moon!!!!!! </font>

Originally posted by Moon:

Now there really aren't any squares in CM either. Combat resolution is much more fine than that, you know it.

Martin

If you're referring to CMAK, et al, umm...I thought everything was based on the 2 metre sub-squares of the tiles. Treeburst's terrain mod shows that the edges of the playable terrain are always square, and based on these 2 metre squares.

MD, you have been here a while and more than anyone else you should know that a lot of things are abstracted in CM. Just because the tree appeare to end in a square doesn't mean that they do. I've sometimes have men that appeare to be in open ground, but are really in scattared trees.

Originally posted by Panzerman:

MD, you have been here a while and more than anyone else you should know that a lot of things are abstracted in CM. Just because the tree appeare to end in a square doesn't mean that they do. I've sometimes have men that appeare to be in open ground, but are really in scattared trees.

Panzerman, you have been here long enough to realize you don't know what you're talking about. :D Try this - draw 2 metre gridlines on your terrain mods and then use the movement or LOS pointers "in game" and tell me the terrain doesn't conform to the 2 metre grid...If I can find the mods Treeburst did up I will email them to you - you will be surprised.

I think what Moon is referring to here is that there are no "squares" in the classical boardgame sense in the current (or future) CM engine. i.e. the only function of a tile in the game is to define the terrain elements. The units themselves are not restricted to "square" or "hexagonal" movement or positioning.

Originally posted by simovitch:

I think what Moon is referring to here is that there are no "squares" in the classical boardgame sense in the current (or future) CM engine. i.e. the only function of a tile in the game is to define the terrain elements. The units themselves are not restricted to "square" or "hexagonal" movement or positioning.

He does make reference to combat resolution, so no doubt you are correct. Thanks for the clarification.

Panzerman - offer still stands, email me at madorosh@shaw.ca if you want to see what I mean.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

Panzerman, you have been here long enough to realize you don't know what you're talking about. :D Try this - draw 2 metre gridlines on your terrain mods and then use the movement or LOS pointers "in game" and tell me the terrain doesn't conform to the 2 metre grid...If I can find the mods Treeburst did up I will email them to you - you will be surprised. </font>