You Monkeys are getting slow. CMAK v1.01 PATCH POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!

Madmatt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

In May 1941 I can see the Pz IIIF (37mm/L47) and the Pz IIIG & H (50mm/L42). In December 1941 I can find the Pz III J (short) (50mm/L42). Unless there's something different about my copy, you should see them too.

I must be doing something wrong. I only see the Pz IIF in May '41. I see no Pz IIIJ (long or short) in December '41.

I must be doing something wrong. I only see the Pz IIF in May '41. I see no Pz IIIJ (long or short) in December '41.
No, you're correct and I'm wrong. I've been looking at a different beta of the patch. As you and others have stated about Pz III availability, several models are no longer present. I've notified Matt (if he didn't know already). I have no idea if this will be changed or not since I'm not comparing CMAK to any TO&E's or OOB's, etc.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I must be doing something wrong. I only see the Pz IIF in May '41. I see no Pz IIIJ (long or short) in December '41.

No, you're correct and I'm wrong. I've been looking at a different beta of the patch. As you and others have stated about Pz III availability, several models are no longer present. I've notified Matt (if he didn't know already). I have no idea if this will be changed or not since I'm not comparing CMAK to any TO&E's or OOB's, etc. </font>

I've been told that the missing Pz III models are intentional and much closer to reality concerning what was deployed to North Africa. I'm not absolutely sure about the missing Pz III F 37mm since some anecdotal evidence suggests that limited numbers of them were present for a short time.

The intent with the CM series is to present a framework for scenarios that would have been somewhat historically plausible (to a certain extent). While this may prevent some "what if" scenarios from being created, it does allow for a somewhat more historically accurate picture of the limitations at certain periods of the war.

Possibly for CMx2 there may be a 'switch' to allow people to 'cherry pick' from any time/theater a little more easily.

I've been told that the missing Pz III models are intentional and much closer to reality concerning what was deployed to North Africa. I'm not absolutely sure about the missing Pz III F 37mm since some anecdotal evidence suggests that limited numbers of them were present for a short time.

The intent with the CM series is to present a framework for scenarios that would have been somewhat historically plausible (to a certain extent). While this may prevent some "what if" scenarios from being created, it does allow for a somewhat more historically accurate picture of the limitations at certain periods of the war.

Possibly for CMx2 there may be a 'switch' to allow people to 'cherry pick' from any time/theater a little more easily.

I can completely understand the historical issue, but when the models are already there, why remove them. You are only talking a few months difference. I can go back to several units in CMBO. like the M16 that were used, but not included.

I can completely understand not wanting make new models, but why remove existing models? It makes no sense from an historical standpoint to draw such a fine, drastic line in the sand. A month or two either way seems within reason of a what if. If quick battles are an issue, inflate the rarity factor.

Once again, I want to make this point clear, I am not arguing for inclusion of new models. I am just preplexed why you would go through the effort to develop models, take up space on a CD, and do all the research, and then, based on a hard cut off, delete them in a patch.

I don't think the 37mm gun PzIII model are 'removed' removed, they just won't show up in Quickbattle lists. I believe they can be selected for building scenarios (or even imported in-place on Quickbattle maps) in much the same way that you could find a way to get a Panther into N. Africa if you wanted. ;)

No, they're actually 'removed'. The README is incorrect in stating that the Pz III F 37mm is available in the editor. This is an intentional change.

From Charles:

The game is right but the readme is wrong (I forgot to edit that part). The PzIIIF is out of the game - apparently it never went to N. Africa.

While reducing the number of models is something that most people don't want to see, it does reduce the selection to something that is more historically accurate. Actually some of the models that disappeared didn't have (many) unique textures associated with them. So the impact of removing these models, but not including others due to space or time restrictions, is probably negligible.

Taking away 'choice' is a bit painful, but the developers want the most realistic TO&Es that they can get. This is a 'feature' of the game to bring together so much historical research for battalion-level and smaller formations.

Perhaps in the future with CMx2 and its progeny, the "all theaters in one game" may be possible. For now the aim with products representing specific theaters is to make them as accurate as possible.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I don't think the 37mm gun PzIII model are 'removed' removed, they just won't show up in Quickbattle lists. I believe they can be selected for building scenarios (or even imported in-place on Quickbattle maps) in much the same way that you could find a way to get a Panther into N. Africa if you wanted. ;)

If you read the entire discussion, you'll see that they aren't showing up at all. Unless some people somehow got different versions of the patch.

I still don't buy the historical accuracy arguement. When it comes to OOB's there is an incredible amount of slop in any records. While equipment may not show up in theoretical records, anyone can see and site anecdotes where equipment was used or kept around for longer than official records indicate, especially armies far away from the motherland. Eventually spares force the issue, but hard dates for equipment changeover are always suspect. That is why I think having some book based on 50 year old records dictating whether a model that has already been built and included in the game must be removed.

I have always considered BFC one of the most customer-friendly organizations around. But removing models that have already been developed and included and then turning around and saying other models that should be included can't be included because of development efforts seems strange. I am no Pz IIIJ short fan, but the logic behind it seems very forced.

I really don't understand what BFC thinks its losing by including these models. If anything it seems to me to be an added extra from the guys at BFC. It ends up being a win-win. If anyone complains that it is an unfair advantage, use your usual explaination that the model was already developed, much like the IS-3 in CMBB. Also, you can just lock it out of QB's.

Originally posted by thewood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

If you read the entire discussion, you'll see that they aren't showing up at all. Unless some people somehow got different versions of the patch.

I still don't buy the historical accuracy arguement. When it comes to OOB's there is an incredible amount of slop in any records. While equipment may not show up in theoretical records, anyone can see and site anecdotes where equipment was used or kept around for longer than official records indicate, especially armies far away from the motherland. Eventually spares force the issue, but hard dates for equipment changeover are always suspect. That is why I think having some book based on 50 year old records dictating whether a model that has already been built and included in the game must be removed.

I have always considered BFC one of the most customer-friendly organizations around. But removing models that have already been developed and included and then turning around and saying other models that should be included can't be included because of development efforts seems strange. I am no Pz IIIJ short fan, but the logic behind it seems very forced.

I really don't understand what BFC thinks its losing by including these models. If anything it seems to me to be an added extra from the guys at BFC. It ends up being a win-win. If anyone complains that it is an unfair advantage, use your usual explaination that the model was already developed, much like the IS-3 in CMBB. Also, you can just lock it out of QB's. </font>

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eric Alkema:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

* Firing panzerfausts from within a building does not suppress the firer.

I thought we already had this feature. I must have missed something. </font>

According to Jentz (TCNA), no 37mm armed gun tanks were shipped to NA. All Pz.Kpfw.III.Ausf.F which were sent over had been upgunned and up-armored (mantle) to the new standard. I'm sure BFC has primary sources which clarify Jentz's findings and hence their decision.

One thing I am still confused about, and have created a thread to discuss here, is the Pz.Kpfw.III.Ausf.H with respect to its mantle. If anyone can help me there, it would be appreciated.

[ February 07, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Abteilung ]

Sorry guys, but i have several pictures showing PZ III with 37mm gun in Africa, with DAK (Deutches Afrika Korps).

I wasnt sure but later to read your posts in forum i was looking for these pictures and i found it.

I could scan and paste them in forum if is necessary. I dont know how many fought in NA, or when were they removed or modified with 50 mm gun.

Originally posted by alexoscar:

Sorry guys, but i have several pictures showing PZ III with 37mm gun in Africa, with DAK (Deutches Afrika Korps).

I wasnt sure but later to read your posts in forum i was looking for these pictures and i found it.

I could scan and paste them in forum if is necessary. I dont know how many fought in NA, or when were they removed or modified with 50 mm gun.

Please do. I for one would like to see these. BTW, in what do they appear?

Michael

Originally posted by Eric Alkema:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eric Alkema:

* Firing panzerfausts from within a building does not suppress the firer.

I thought we already had this feature. I must have missed something. </font>

This is the book, "AFRIKA KORPS", K.J.Macksey,M.C.

Director Editorial: Barrie Pitt

Military Assistant: Sir Basil Liddell Hart

Edited in Spain by San Martin. First edition in USA by Ballantine, David Mason.

On page 126, you will be able to see a German Panzer III with a little gun, destroyed in Afrika with extra protection with added sandbags in hull front plates. I think its a Pz III with 37mm gun or any kind of Befehlswagen, Im not sure. If you compare this picture with early PzIIIE you will find it very similar.

PzIIIE with 37mm gun were used by Wermacht in Balcans in april 1941. Thats the same period of first combats in NA. Why are you so sure is impossible?

I noticed something odd.

I have the CDV version of the game, and the patch (both of them) seems to extract the executable to a different folder than the original CMAK executable is in. And my shortcuts still point to the original executable. I moved the file manually, would that be the right thing to do, or have I messed my program up completely?