Help using transport

I missed something important I am sure...

I setup 8 trucks in a convoy, loaded them up and said go here young brave men!

Well, the troops on foot arrived at the same time, thus I wasted 200 points.

Any clarification on why the trucks seem to take so long etc?

The trucks were normal.

Apart from the long time delays for daring to plot the course, there still seems to be something amiss.

@ Bone_Vulture,

1. The journey was all road

2. Yes, very, very heart breaking to see

3. Yes we had done ALL of that old Chap.

So back to the beginning :D

I asked the convoy, to move from A to B along the road. I made sure to ensure that each following truck had a longer time delay.

The competing foot powered troops were - moving - through open ground and pine trees. More pine trees than open ground.

The trucks just beat the troops on foot.

Apart from the long time delay because I dared plot the course, they seemed to sit there forever doing nothing.

@ flamingknives,

Yes the trucks were stacked to the rafters full of medium machine guns! However, that does not explain why the trucks arrived less than 1 minute before the foot soldiers.

For most QB's, unless the map is huge, the time gained by having motorized forces is not that great. The longer the distance, the greater the gain. But for a typical CM battle trucks are pretty much wasted points, as after the initial movement they are no use. Not counting if you need them to tow some heavy weapons - if you have a ATG on foot racing with a truck, the truck's gonna win. Instead of a truck you may also consider having a Jeep/Kübelwagen or a halftrack. A car can carry a team, like a MG or a light gun, so your infantry doesn't have to wait for their support weapons forever. A halftrack will be useful even when facing enemy infantry, of course you have to be careful and they also cost more.

If I may add to Sergei's response:

In small maps, trucks may provide an inexpensive surprise element. Think of the distance the trucks can traverse over one turn on road. With some 100 points, you get enough trucks to transport a platoon.

I've noticed that trucks can be used to "streak in" the second wave of your troops when attacking: very useful, especially if your opponent uses elastic tactics. Once the defenders are worn down, the trucks have a good chance of slipping in just behind your advancing forces, and a platoon of fresh infantry focused on a single slice of the front can be quite a tactical edge.

Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

Apart from the long time delay because I dared plot the course, they seemed to sit there forever doing nothing.

To help with the time delay just give them a slow movement order like move that has a range that they won't finish this turn. Then next turn go in and give them the detailed orders. Once they are moving there is no time delay. This will cut down on the time it takes them to start moving and get you there considerably faster. :D

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

To help with the time delay just give them a slow movement order like move that has a range that they won't finish this turn. Then next turn go in and give them the detailed orders. Once they are moving there is no time delay. This will cut down on the time it takes them to start moving and get you there considerably faster. :D

Panther Commander </font>

if you can get them moving on 1 minute & give them an order, if the delay is (say) 10 secs but their next waypoint is 11 secs away, they will continue & not wait once they hit it.

IOW, the delay is from when you give the order, not when they pass the waypoint.

also, rather than giving a wait order which is a full 10 secs, including an extra waypoint will give enough delay to space the convoy out.

another trick in your initial setup is to start with them slightly rotated. the turn will space them for you.

don't forget higher experiance = faster turning. at leasy for AFV's.