Scenario Depot v2 Release Date - June 6, 2004

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great Keith, your hard work is well appreciated. Couple of quick questions for you.

Will you automatically be transfering all of our old scenarios to the new site or will we have to reload them?

Since authors can change and upgrade scenarios will they also have the ability to delete them? ie as in some of my older stuff that is not so great. I figure it would free up bandwidth (I can't be the only one who has a few lame ones binding up your website)

Love all the great new features and wishing you luck on a smooth launch

Eric :D

With regard to my question regarding the quick link for the most recent files. It was not for the purpose of mass downloading.

The present system is fast enough really. I tend to collect scenarios by authors and get a few at a time but do not play them all straight away, so reading the notes only helps a bit.

So I often do not read them, but trust my past experience playing that authors past scenarios.

If we can view scenario reviews by a particular person and select the scenario author as well this may be a good combination, and get me reading more in the future.

I have found that what I interpret from the notes is often not what the author wanted to convey.

I realise that this is my problem not the authors.

From looking at the recent thread on "what do you want from briefings" other people have the same problem.

The problem or benefit is that we all play for different reasons and that makes it very hard to provide meaningful briefings and reviews that suit a wide audience.

Not on topic, but:

Is it possible to view the texts and briefings in the scenarios with out opening them up in the game?

If this is possible even with a mod program it would be very handy. I often look at a few scenario descriptions before I actually start to play a game. This means starting to load quiet a few before I actually start.

Fussy I know. But that is what is good about the game, the variety.

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by Emar:

Sounds great Keith, your hard work is well appreciated. Couple of quick questions for you.

OK...shoot...

Will you automatically be transfering all of our old scenarios to the new site or will we have to reload them?

Reloading is not necessary.

Since authors can change and upgrade scenarios will they also have the ability to delete them? ie as in some of my older stuff that is not so great. I figure it would free up bandwidth (I can't be the only one who has a few lame ones binding up your website)

SDv2 does not support deleting either database entries or the files themselves. This feature is slated for SDv3.

Love all the great new features and wishing you luck on a smooth launch

Thanks. It's one of them "labor of love" things.

Originally posted by markl:

With regard to my question regarding the quick link for the most recent files. It was not for the purpose of mass downloading.

The present system is fast enough really. I tend to collect scenarios by authors and get a few at a time but do not play them all straight away, so reading the notes only helps a bit.

So I often do not read them, but trust my past experience playing that authors past scenarios.

If we can view scenario reviews by a particular person and select the scenario author as well this may be a good combination, and get me reading more in the future.

OK, I think I see your point. I'll add this the the SDv3 list and determine feasibility when I get to that point in the list.

Originally posted by markl:

Not on topic, but:

Is it possible to view the texts and briefings in the scenarios with out opening them up in the game?

If this is possible even with a mod program it would be very handy. I often look at a few scenario descriptions before I actually start to play a game. This means starting to load quiet a few before I actually start.

Fussy I know. But that is what is good about the game, the variety.

Probably not possible given that the briefings are part of the compiled scenario file. The short description of the scenario is in plain text, but the balance of the cmb/cmc/cme/cmf/cmg/cmh file is compiled by the scenario editor program.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

So, does everyone have to re-register even if they have a previous account? How will I have access to my old scenarios?

Yes, registration is very important now. The old system was...how shall I say it...weak. The new system is far more robust, and flexible. It will allow me to add far more features for the authors than the previous system ever could.

However, don't loose that SecurityID! You'll need it to re-associate your scenarios with your new account. You'll find that feature under the Author's Only section. The Scenario Depot Usage Guide has full instructions on how to "upgrade" your scenarios.

Getting an error when I hit the upload scenario button.

Not Found

The requested URL /combatmission4/upload.php was not found on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.dragonlair.net Port 80

Whoops...hang on...I'll have that corrected in a sec...

Also, I had some difficulties at first entering the Authors Only section. Hitting F5 and Ctrl+F5 didn't seem to help. What worked, though, was to right-click on individual frames and select 'refresh' from the menu (this on Win+IE). Just so if someone has similar problems...

Okay, I was able to successfully upload a revised file for one of my CMBB ops, but the Edit/Update screen is still being cranky.

Specifically, I'm trying to edit a CMAK op (Lingevres, which I just attempted to add), but it is giving me Soviets and Poles in the force dialogue boxes, and if I hit Submit nothing happens.

[ June 06, 2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Runyan99 ]

I managed to upload a new battle just a moment ago. Maybe it's got to do with browser cache or something, Cory?

Oh, I also was updating e-mail addresses of some old battles of mine. For some it worked fine, but for couple pressing the submit button did nothing. :confused:

Specifically, I'm trying to edit a CMAK op (Lingevres, which I just attempted to add), but it is giving me Soviets and Poles in the force dialogue boxes, and if I hit Submit nothing happens.

I'm on it. Give me a few minutes to see what's up with that.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Oh, I also was updating e-mail addresses of some old battles of mine. For some it worked fine, but for couple pressing the submit button did nothing. :confused:

Sometimes the submit will not work if there is too much data in either the brief description or the author comments field. I'll be working on this issue during next week.

Attempted to register myself on the new site and filled in all the fields and picked a password. i got the e-mail sent message but no e-mail came through. Tried again after awhile but got a user name already taken message. :(

Attempted to register myself on the new site and filled in all the fields and picked a password. i got the e-mail sent message but no e-mail came through. Tried again after awhile but got a user name already taken message. :(

The email address had no @ symbol. I've deleted the record. You can now register again using the previous username/password.

Thanks Keith, musta skipped the caps button. That fixed that problem and I am registered but I can only access my CMBO and CMBB scenarios. No link to the CMAK stuff. Love the new look and the featured battles and ops section.

Eric

Hi,

I guess we lost the feature to see the top rated scenarios.

That was the one and only thing that I really used on the site and now it is gone (tell me if I am wrong) my use of the site is made a lot harder.

:(

I know you have invested a lot of time and effort in the site and I know we had some disscussions about this feature but I really sorry that it has been taken off.

Ohhh well....

:rolleyes:

H

Originally posted by Holien:

I guess we lost the feature to see the top rated scenarios.

That was the one and only thing that I really used on the site and now it is gone (tell me if I am wrong) my use of the site is made a lot harder.

This was the feature about which I received the most complaints. Issues ranged from disparate scenarios being compared against one another to "ballot box stuffing". The numeric review values were being manipulated by reviewers to give unfair advantage to some authors. The system had become pointless to most authors, thus was removed. In short, the cumulative rating system had been corrupted by the very players it had been designed to serve. Therefore I removed it in favor of a system where each review stands on its own.

Originally posted by Holien:

I know you have invested a lot of time and effort in the site and I know we had some disscussions about this feature but I really sorry that it has been taken off.

Indeed, there were several discussions regarding this feature, and I for one became weary of everyone complaining that it unfairly treated fictional scenarios the same as historical scenarios, that certain groups of players were manipulating scores, and that the system (which was designed by committee) didn't work. Therefore I designed the current system and we are going to see how that works.

Ok, So it is not me missing anything on the new site.

smile.gif

The way I used to use the site was to find scenarios that had been rated highly by other players.

This way I could use what limited play time I get to choose great scenarios. (Yes the scores might be fixed but by checking out how many people had reviewed it I could see if it was worth a punt.)

Is there anyway that I can somehow get a list of the scenarios with the most reviews? I.e. say above 10?

That way I could then limit my search for a scenario by just checking those with a certain number of reviews.

H

P.s. I Realise it is your bat and ball and you choose how it is played all I am trying to do is give a bit of constructive feed back.