Who's CMAK is the prettiest?

GDog

I've had CMAK for about 3-4 weeks now. I am just beginning to explore the vast number of mods out there to enhance the look and feel of the game.

If anyone cares to indulge me, I would like to see screen shots of your modded versions of CMAK to see what is possible.

So far I have only loaded a terrain grid mod, which is quite helpful but does NOT pretty the game up much! ;) Next on my list is a modded interface, I think the name of a nice one is "Tarkus Dark Steel", but that may have been for CMBB.

Cheers!

Pretty is not something that one really wants to try for when modding. War isn't pretty.

That said, if you want to see what one modded version of CMAK looks like, take a look at the images in the Postcards for Italy thread. I'm too low tech to be able to provide you with the link, but if you do a search in the CMAK section of the forum you'll find it about two months back.

It has a fair number of screenshots of ungridded winter terrain. And if you look closely you may even spot a couple of very rare mods.

Originally posted by Philippe:

Pretty is not something that one really wants to try for when modding. War isn't pretty.

Heh heh.

Sorry Philippe, my use of the word "prettiest" (which was actually the first time ever typing that word on a keyboard ;) ) was an attempt to make you all smile.

You could substitute it for say "realistic", "authentic" or "awsome"! After all CM does recreate "realistic and authentically awsome" WWII action! I think it says that on the box, and if it doesn't it should. :D

People with taste consider high-contrast gridded terrain to be an aesthetic abomination. It most certainly is not pretty.

As to whether it is useful or not, that depends on your style of play. I'm sorry that BTS didn't make a grid overlay toggle switch: I might actually have switched it on and then back off once or twice at the beginning of each game.

If you play games with the hex grid switched off for aesthetic reasons, you won't want gridded terrain. If you're too lazy to walk the battlefield at level one, you'll want it.

People with taste consider high-contrast gridded terrain to be an aesthetic abomination. It most certainly is not pretty.

Bah, speak for yourself, don't worry Gaj they look fine. Philippe is just passing off his own opinion as the general consensus. Gridded terrain certainly takes some getting use to, no doubt. But after awhile it doesn't stand out nearly as much as it did when first installed.

Any hex grid. If you go outside and look at a landscape, except in a few rare and perverse cases you won't see a pattern of grid lines on it. Nature doesn't work that way.

And people don't walk around with blue and green squares under their feet either.

Which is exactly why it is kinda pointless to compare mods/terrain from the game with the real outside world. It's just a game.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Aesthetic abominations eh?

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Between us, RocketMan & I put a fair bit of effort into making them look good...

GaJ

(what hex grid are you referring to!?)

I don't recall which grids exactly I am using, but they look fine overall. It did take some getting used to but they are quite helpful.

The ability to toggle the grids on/off would be the ultimate, but the game cannot accommodate that as far as I can see.