Grenade in a Tiger's hatch (SPOILER POTENTIAL)

Last night while playing the Knifefight scenario, after the Tigers knocked out all but one of my Shermans, I felt the situation was hopeless. Until one of my brave platoon HQ's managed to lob a grenade into the hatch of one of those big cats. I assume that is what it did, because it flamed up and that's all they had. Talk about excitement. Now, if I only knew how to take a screenshot....

I just had to share that.

:eek:

Pretty good with a hand grenade. However, the game does not "show" an assault on a tank... In real war, those men could have climbed on top of the tiger and somehow open the hatch and drop a little present inside.

To take a screenshop, press "print screen" on your keyboard and then quit the game, open something that can handle pictures and paste from clipboard.

From what I can imagine, forcing a hatch open from the outside would be pretty well impossible. I thought the hatch was secured quite tightly and it would take more than a pair of strong arms to pull them open. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan when they try to storm the 'Tiger'.

The HQ was probably stuffing nades down the turret instead, which would be how I'd interpret it.

The graphic showed the unit tossing a grenade at the tank, then it lit up. It appeared to be buttoned, but maybe there was a hatch open...? I gotta say I was pretty surprised. I didn't even have an assault order issued. Those only ended in dead soldiers and routed squads when I tried them.

Thanks for the print screen instruction. I didn't know it was so complicated! lol

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

From what I can imagine, forcing a hatch open from the outside would be pretty well impossible. I thought the hatch was secured quite tightly and it would take more than a pair of strong arms to pull them open. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan when they try to storm the 'Tiger'.

The HQ was probably stuffing nades down the turret instead, which would be how I'd interpret it.

Yes there probably were same kind of "locks" on them as the BMPs and T-72s I saw in the army. However it's not impossible to open a hatch if you know how.

What do you mean down the turret? Down the barrel maybe?

It is pretty much Hollywood, without special AT equipment of one sort or another. I've read real accounts of cripples finished off with molotovs, or ad hoc versions of the same (gasoline cans, dousing the engine deck and ignited by thermite grenade), by ad hoc demo charges (teller mines hand placed e.g.).

Realistically a grenade bundle might succeed in breaking a track or damaging the drive sprocket or some such, but getting one inside and blowing the whole thing up is a fantasy. A single grenade wouldn't do even that. (There is 30 times as much explosive in an AT mine as in a grenade - and even AT mines often only immobilize a tank that hits them).

I've read of tanks KOed while unbuttoned, by hitting the exposed crew with small arms - in one case a hatch open driver shot while crossing a bridge, which made the tank veer off the bridge and fall into a ravine. That kind of thing.

But just "Sgt. Rock climbed aboard and shoved a grenade through the whatsits, and the tank was toast" - no. I've scanned US WW II medal of honor citations, for example, and none was awarded for such a feat, while several were for infantry AT kills with zooks or cases like those above.

The Germans issued something like 16k tank killer awards for witnessed cases of infantry killing tanks with hand weapons. But that usually means "with a panzerfaust", sometimes it means with a magnetic mine or demo charge. The Germans issued millions of infantry AT weapons - easily the best of the war - to get even that number of kills. Which averages out to on the order of one per division per month.

In CM, any infantry can close assault armor within about 30m. This is depicted as throwing grenades, with "hit" displayed if they succeed. It can immobilize or it can KO. Platoon HQs seem to be somewhat better at it, but all units can do it.

If they have special AT weapons they will use those, with explosives the next to be used (demo charges, grenade bundles, etc). If they have none they will "use grenades", which seems to mean close assault in a strict sense, and to be considerably more effective than molotovs, but less effective than engineer demo charges.

There is no question this is a generous infantry AT ability compared to the real deal.

[ January 13, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

I just had a cmbb grenadier unit take down a kv2 with a grenade bundle from 40 meters....and on top of those odds, the infantry had also just broken from a round of canister. they were actually crawking away in terror when the bundle suddenlty flew up in the air and knocked it out!!

Grum

Originally posted by GRUMLIN:

I just had a cmbb grenadier unit take down a kv2 with a grenade bundle from 40 meters....and on top of those odds, the infantry had also just broken from a round of canister. they were actually crawking away in terror when the bundle suddenlty flew up in the air and knocked it out!!

Grum

Don't forget that graphically, infantry units are highly abstracted. Perhaps the grenadier w/the grenade bundle had crawled in close (closer than 40m), and as his squad mates were geting pulverized, he took out the tank.

Game on.

Originally posted by Konstantine:

I remember an old WWII comic where a GI blows up a tiger by firing his pistol into the muzzle of the main gun after they load a shell. Can anyone tell me the likelihood of that happening? ;)

I have no idea if this would be at all effective, but I have read that in the Korean War, Chinese and North Korean soldiers used to try and fire their weapons down the barrel of tanks AFTER they had fired their main gun; the idea being that if the breach was open, the bullets would ricochette inside of the tank and kill the crew. One of the crewmen of one of the tanks commented that they found several bullets lodged in the round after the battle (they could not fully load the round, and it was stuck in place until they dislodged it later). Incidentally, this comes from "The Korean War: Pusan to Chosin", a very good read.

• 2 weeks later...

An engagement I have just read about in the 27 (MG) Bn Official History (pp 474-477) describes a night action in Italy where L-Cpl John Tucker lobbed an HE grenade into the turret of one Panther, apparently killing all the crew (no further mention is made of them). He threw a phosphorous grenade onto the second, setting it on fire at which point its crew abandoned it. He then carried on up the road and hit a third Panther with another phospherous grenade, setting fire to its rubber road wheel rims. This last Panther was hit by a PIAT, drove into a ditch, and was abandoned by its crew.

Tucker, who was shot dead later in this same engagement, was nominated for a posthumous VC(?) but in the end received nothing.

Coincidentally, Tucker is the father of one of Mum's friends.