Why do so many scenarios remain unposted at the Scenario Depot?

MrSpkr

This is about the third time this week I have gone to the Scenario Depot to review a CMAK scenario only to find it is not posted there for review.

So far, I have found that several of the scenarios on the CD are not posted for review, as well as some form old reliable sources like Boots and Tracks.

So what's going on? Secnario authors, why haven't you taken five minutes to put your scenario up for review at the Depot?

Steve

MrSpkr,

I, myself, decided to upload the scenario 'First Taste of Honey' to The Scenario Depot about 2 weeks ago. Being rather green if not conscript at this kind of thing I must say I was rather daunted by their 1342 point check list required for the uploading. I realised I would actually need to print out the briefing in order to post it... :eek:

Now, I suppose I could I spend five minutes posting something at 'the depot' or then again five minutes toiling over a bubbling cauldron for what may be, THE RUMBLINGS OF WAR...?

I guess you'll find 'the fella's at B&T a little bit busy presently but rest assured, we all want the same thing. You, Me, Everybody... ;)

... and I'll post my scenario as soon as I can, as I'm sure all the Vet's will!

In the meantime, visit Boots and Tracks. Download a little something... play something evil (if not fun)

:D

Richie

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

So what's going on? Secnario authors, why haven't you taken five minutes to put your scenario up for review at the Depot?

Takes quite a bit longer than 5 minutes... even when you're sloppy about it as I am.

As to the reason, there are a number of authors that see no reason to do it.

Designing scenarios is fun although time consuming if done properly, so it's also nice to get some additional feedback once in awhile to help in future designs or provide ideas for additional battles that are in high demand. The Number one downloaded CMAK scenario for example has a scant, albeit very good, two reviews. It seems strange that the scenarios from the CDs tend to have the most reviews because everyone already has those battles. It's not like they need convincing to download them.

I'm not saying that everyone has to feel obligated to always post a review for every downloaded battle, but it is helpful for authors and for people looking for new scenarios if, somewhat early on, there are a half dozen or so reviews in order to provide a fairly balanced comparison of a given scnario.

Regarding the CD scenarios. I always include the link to the SD, as well as an invitation to review, in the briefings of my scenarios, and I think I did that for the CD scenarios, so that maybe one of the reasons I do get a few reviews. I also engage in discussion with those who email me privately about my scenarios, and invite them to review if they have not done so, whether their thoughts are positive or negative.

Wow. Pretty cynical, Andreas.

Berli, I usually print out my scenario's general briefing, then use that as the check list. It saves time. Of course, given how much time one puts into designing a scenario, I don't really understand why one would have a problem putting in the extra time to post at the Depot.

Richie -- your scenario was one of the ones I was interested in reviewing. I was also interested in reviewing (1) A Few Boys from Texas; (2) Attack on Niebiwa Fort; (3) The Defense of Snipe; and (4) Prelude to Anzio.

I thought that part of the reason for desigining scenarios was to give back to the community. I view posting at the Scenario Depot as an important part of that giving. I know that sometimes the reviews don't seem fair to designers, but I also know that hit pieces get pulled from the ratings anyway.

I really don't understand what the problem is.

Steve

It depends on my mood. If I've just read a really trashy review, I lose the motivation to go through publishing at the Depot. A positive review tends to have the opposite effect. I think some authors have gotten ticked off enough that publishing at the Depot is just low on the priority list.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Wow. Pretty cynical, Andreas.

Berli, I usually print out my scenario's general briefing, then use that as the check list. It saves time. Of course, given how much time one puts into designing a scenario, I don't really understand why one would have a problem putting in the extra time to post at the Depot.

Richie -- your scenario was one of the ones I was interested in reviewing. I was also interested in reviewing (1) A Few Boys from Texas; (2) Attack on Niebiwa Fort; (3) The Defense of Snipe; and (4) Prelude to Anzio.

I thought that part of the reason for desigining scenarios was to give back to the community. I view posting at the Scenario Depot as an important part of that giving. I know that sometimes the reviews don't seem fair to designers, but I also know that hit pieces get pulled from the ratings anyway.

I really don't understand what the problem is.

Steve

I know last time, with the CD scenarios, they were posted by a third party, mainly as a shakedown for the CMAK section of the depot. I generally get around to posting mine eventually, but given I have a good publication system I dont worry about it immediately.

I have noted though, that, given a scenario posted on B&T alone vs one posted on The Depot & B&T, the cross-posted one gets about twice as many downloads. So there should be author interst in posting, for no other reason than because it spreads the seed a bit farther than going it alone.

WWB

I also regreet that some scenario i've been playing or which i'm currently playing aren't posted at the Depot.

As i've already mentionned, the SD is still the best tool to choose a scenario to play, reducing the choice will end in reducing the average quality of the scenario played.

There are currently very few reviews of CMAK scenarios, which ist not a good sign at all for us players who hope to be able to pick up new battles to play in the future.

Yikes!

Mr. Spkr wants to review two of my CD scenarios!

Well, I confess I hadn't even thought about it. Were all the CMBB CD scenarios put up? However as there is a request I will get that done ASAP. Right now I'm reconditioning and posting the scenarios that were built for the 1.01 patch plus the scenarios I couldn't resist doing - but were outside the supported area of CMAK.

Hey Mr. Spkr if there are any corrections, historical or otherwise send me those comments and I'll update/correct the scenarios before I put them up.

[On already know that one date is wrong on Nibeiwa and about a historical inaccuracy on a medal for one of participants of the Melfa Bridgehead]

Please send to:

Wayne100@emirates.net.ae

Originally posted by Hans:

Yikes!

Mr. Spkr wants to review two of my CD scenarios!

Well, I confess I hadn't even thought about it. Were all the CMBB CD scenarios put up? However as there is a request I will get that done ASAP. Right now I'm reconditioning and posting the scenarios that were built for the 1.01 patch plus the scenarios I couldn't resist doing - but were outside the supported area of CMAK.

Hey Mr. Spkr if there are any corrections, historical or otherwise send me those comments and I'll update/correct the scenarios before I put them up.

[On already know that one date is wrong on Nibeiwa and about a historical inaccuracy on a medal for one of participants of the Melfa Bridgehead]

Please send to:

Wayne100@emirates.net.ae

Actually, I enjoyed them.

My comments usually tend towards playability, not technical stuff or unit accuracy (you have to be REALLY off for me to pick up on unit accuracy -- think T-34s invading England, or somefink).

ANyway, I'm glad to see there is still support for putting the files at the Scenario Depot. I think it is a pretty good resource.

Steve