T-34: Raiding tool par excellence, also Nahverteidigungswaffe

Am playing Royal Opponent as the Germans, and in doing so, I have discovered some very disturbing things about T-34s. Not only are they fast in, and able to rapidly cross ground with impunity that might bog my tanks, but I'm starting to think that they're modeled as though they're German 8-Rad ACs, with a second driver pointed rearward for quick escapes. I have watched the things retreat faster than my tanks can go forward in Move, and I'm not talking about King Tigers, either. The T-34's performance going backwards was so impressive that their owner, NG cavscout, commented specifically upon it.

While I'm at it, I wanted to mention that I have finally seen the Nah. in action. Russian infantry got too close to one of my tanks. Next thing I know, something comes sailing out from the turret roof and airbursts over the men, putting them face down immediately.

Regards,

John Kettler

Their speed is what makes them so great, because that sloped armor isn't always as great as people think it is supposed to be.

And speaking of reversing, check this out:

valrearshotonpzivfe6.th.png

Val kills a Pz IVG

He killed an earily PzIV while in full reverse and buttoned up! He didn't even fire a bracketing shot (granted it's a pretty close engagement). He got the SOB on the first shot!

While that shot is impressive, in a AK quick battle once i had a Churchill with a 95mm howizter, travelling at full speed rotate its turret fire half way across the map and nail a stug iirc which was also in motion ... shot of the war imo tongue.gif

Anyhoo the whole bogging thing for teh T34 is its lower gorund presure isnt it compared to the other tanks?

This is interesting for sure, I wonder if this is an AI engine limitation or program in which fast vehicles automatically have been givin almost equally fast reverse speeds to match.

On a related note: I have noticed all vehicles givin a move forward and reverse order in same turn, will only have a second or two delay before the reverse order takes affect. The problem I have with this is that the vehicle would have to slow down and come to a full stop, and start reversing; In IMHO way to fast of a reaction time of just a couple seconds.

Here are 2 situations regarding the above that I believe would be more probable.

FIRST - A player gives 2 orders to his tank crew that turn, to move fast and reverse; by the time the vehicle slowes down and comes to a complete stop and starts reversing, there should be around no less then 5 seconds delay from the time the vehicle stops, to when it starts reversing again.

SECOND - An enemy AI for example, is moving forward and scans the battlefied and after several seconds notices your vehicle that appears to him to be more formidable; It should take no shorter then say 10 seconds for him, access the situation, come to a full stop, and start reversing again.

Just some thoughts.

[ September 04, 2007, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: JoMc67 ]

Hijacking? Naaah, a mere diversion, and a worthy one at that.

I often wondered about the reverse speed of tanks. It seems that while you have 'move' and 'fast' going forward, reverse only seems to be 'fast'. Its pretty handy given the criminally slow turning speed of some tanks; its often much quicker to reverse and forward using lesser angles, I believe.

Has anybody run any tests on the speed of reverse?

Poor Old Spike has iirc, his screenshots are on the Blitz and at the World at War forums.

I could have swore one of them showed tanks using all the speed settings and showed how far they travelled over open ground in one minute.

I cant find the one am thinking of, so it must be on the blitz.

However this one regarding turn rates of tanks etc may be of intrest:

Link

Edit: found it : Link

Hope its some help to you

[ September 07, 2007, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: The_Enigma ]