HOW TO: Install 1.02 and keep 1.01 for PBEM compatibility

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I posted in Tech Support, I'm having the same experience.

I've installed v1.02 successfully, the game starts with v1.02 registered, and I used the readme file process to convert a couple of game files. But here is what I've noticed so far with my opponents and I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

Files saved and converted to v1.02, can be opened and the movie turn viewed with v1.01?

Files converted to v1.02, opened in v1.01 and movie turn viewed and then saved in v1.01 can then in turn be opened with v1.02?

Files created/saved in v1.01, (no conversion), can be opened and the v1.01 movie turn viewed in v1.02?

I did not think that the two different versions were able to open a file saved in the other version??? This is going to be very confusing for multiple game users.

Guys - I don't think renaming the exe file is going to do any good. If you read the readme file, it states that you must have previously upgraded to version 1.01. By renaming the exe file, I believe the patch isn't applying properly because it can't find the previous version becasue of the rename...could this be the problem?

Same with me, 1.01 files can be used in 1.02 without any error messages (which wouldn´t be that bad), but it also seems like 1.02 files can be used in 1.01 without any error messages.

To test that I started a PBEM with v1.02 and opened the files alternating on v1.01 and 1.02. No problems.

What effects will that have in a real game?

[ February 15, 2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

Frenchy wrote:

Guys - I don't think renaming the exe file is going to do any good. If you read the readme file, it states that you must have previously upgraded to version 1.01. By renaming the exe file, I believe the patch isn't applying properly because it can't find the previous version becasue of the rename...could this be the problem?

This is good advice for those who rushed in and renamed the v1.01 file "prior" to loading the patch. For those of us who knew better, and copied the v1.01 .exe file to another folder, and then applied the patch, and then renamed the copied v1.01 .exe file and moved it back to the CMBB directory so we'd have two distinctly different versions it doesn't change anything.

Now, I hate to interrupt all the squealing about bugs and Russians being invincible and the T-34 not being invincible and all, but BFC, we have a problem!

Many of my opponents are hesitant about loading the new patch till someone explains why it is that one can open files created in v1.01 in v1.02, and vice versa. For those with multiple games, this is becomming a complicated problem. At this point, it is very easy to loose track of which version a game file actually is. Since, it seems to run in either version no matter what version it was last saved in or created in.

Been several days now with a post in Tech Support, no response. And this thread drifted off the radar with no response...

Ah hemm, Matt, Moon, Steve, somebody say somefink! WHAT IS THE SITUATION REGARDING THE COMPATIBILITY OF V1.01 AND V1.02 FILES???

[ February 17, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

This is good advice for those who rushed in and renamed the v1.01 file "prior" to loading the patch. For those of us who knew better, and copied the v1.01 .exe file to another folder, and then applied the patch, and then renamed the copied v1.01 .exe file and moved it back to the CMBB directory so we'd have two distinctly different versions it doesn't change anything.

[/QB]

Well as the patch contains a totally new .exe it doesn't really matter which way round you did it, the reason for requiring 1.01 to be installed first is because of the new textures or other changes in 1.01 being referenced by the new .exe (educated guess not being able to see the code).

That's not the main issue here as you say though, I suspect, as I said in the other thread, that there is no incompatability between PBEM files created in 1.01 and 1.02 and they were just erring on the side of caution with the advice, however having this confirmed by BFC would set a lot of people's minds at rest.

I agree Firefly, and yes hearing something from BFC at this point would mean a great deal. It would tell folks as to whether or not they should even worry about which version something was saved in. It would also let us know that they have not condemed us all to ever lasting non-monitored sniveling by the Bug mongers and picnitters. At this point it would even confirm their continued existence. Doubtless out and busy creating a crop circle somewhere but let's hope we hear from them soon. It would be just like the good ole days...

Do dee do dee do doo, doo dee do dee do, doo dee do dee do dee, doo de doo dee do.

Ah, anudder question. (Had to think). What happens then if'n a v1.01, gets converted to a v1.02, and then reloaded into v1.01 and saved. And so forth. (Rather not find out the hard way), but since it seems possible this could happen given what we see so far, what then happens to the file? (Remember, in my case when speaking of v1.01, I'm speaking of a fully separate v1.01 exe file non patched, running side by side with a v1.01 patched to v1.02).

I guess I don't really undestand what the problem is... so you can play 1.02 files in 1.01. OK, and you can play 1.01 files in 1.02... OK.

So where is the problem? Why would someone want to continue playing in 1.01 when 1.02 is out and there are no problems created by the use of the patch?

I had the opportunity to beta test the 1.02 patch and had no compatibility problems with either 1.01 and 1.02; in fact I have multiple versions of CMBB on my hard drive in order to play diferent versions, etc. Now all my PBEM games are 'upgraded' to 1.02 AFAIK. If one of my opponents hasn't upgraded, I have no way of knowing, but I don't really care if they have or not as long as the game loads and plays.

jw

[ February 21, 2003, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: jwxspoon ]

Hey Holien,

Ahh, I didn't see that implication in the thread, I was looking at it more from a technical problem standpoint. It's certainly not unreasonable to want a level playing field; that being said, I simply ask my opponents to make sure we are both playing on 1.02 if there is an issue. I wouldn't play anyone I didn't think I could trust in that respect.

However I do see your point. smile.gif

jw

jwxspoon wrote:

So where is the problem? Why would someone want to continue playing in 1.01 when 1.02 is out and there are no problems created by the use of the patch?
Okay, someone answered aready. V1.01, and V1.02, run different outcome calculations, far as I know. They also utilize some slightly different rules I wager, at least where fixes have been made. Ergo, a feller who drops a 1.2 file into 1.1, might get a better result on something (even if only slight), than running that same turn in 1.2. Question is, as has been asked a dozen times now, what are the compatibility issues raised by all this? Not just whether or not the files will run as cross versions, but what sort of differences and variables are involved in so doing.

The reason why it might happen that different versions are used doesn't matter, the question is what the devil is the AI doing during all those outcome calculations run under different rules, or run with and without the fixes on each succeeding turn?

IOW, a rather nefarious type might take a quick glance at the fixes in 1.2, and on a given turn where he then wants a slight advantage where something is no longer allowed, or calculated differently, just drop the ole game file back into v1.1 to get that quick lil advantage, and off he goes, while his opponent has no way of knowing the ole sneakeroo has taken place.

To answer your last question, why not make sure your opponent is in the same version? Nothing wrong with that and commen sense says to do so, but the idea here is you end up not really knowing which version it was last run in apparently.

[ February 21, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]