Enginers?

In reality they perform specialized functions such as construction or destruction of obstacles, bridges, the like. In the game they serve only as a form of infantry. A platoon of engineers is much like a rifle platoon, but the engineers have flamethrowers in lieu of mortars and antitank weapons. Also, engineers carry demo charges. These charges are very effective against vehicles, buildings, or any other target except planes. The one specialized task engineers CAN do in the game is clear mines. Move an engineer squad within 10-20m of a minefield, making sure there are no friendly units around, and the engineers will in the span of a turn or two destroy the mines using their demo charges.

They can also remove daisy-chain mines without needed demo charges. Other mine fields require the use of demo charges, so once the engineer (or Pioneer) squads run out of explosives, their ability to eliminate non daisy-chain minefields goes away.

They also seem to be allotted more ammunition. So if the scenario designer maxed out their load, they could be used as a base for laying down suppression fire.

Downside is that they tire more quickly than regular troops. I suppose because they are carrying more equipment.

Originally posted by wunwinglow:

engineErs.

Write out 100 times,

'I must not uspet a bunch of very powerful soldiers by mis-spelling their name.'

Minus 2 House Points.....

wun

He's eleven years old. Cut him some slack on the spelling of multi-syllabic words.

Cut him some slack...
No-one cut me any slack when I was learning to spell. That's why I can spell 'Engineers'.....

wun

PS I am not knocking the kid. His teachers need a kick up the ****, however. I am sick of teaching graduate employees the difference between 'waist' and 'waste', (Oh, the spell-checker said it was OK...) that adhesive has an 'h' in the middle, and 'speling' is spelt 'spelling'.....

It might not matter to teachers (tetchers?) but it sure as heck matters out in the real world.

There is ALWAYS hope!!! Maybe if the game and participating here encourages youngsters such as him to appreciate how important it is to spell correctly, we can go some way to repair the damage. And the sooner the better. I gets MUCH harder to learn this stuff as you get older. Teachers telling their students 'It doesn't matter if you can't spell, it's your fuzzy little ideas that matter..' is surely one of the crimes of the century. You need BOTH.

I reckon it is a grand excuse for teachers, who clearly cannot spell themselves. And worse, don't care.

wun

PS Is it obvious I am a touch miffed at the slack approach to the correction of spelling in my own kids school work?

John Kettler, detail please. I am more than happy to stay behind after class and write out 100 times whatever it is that I have got (gotten??!! UGH!!) wrong... Never too proud to learn. Never.

But I can still spell 'Engineers'.

wun

PS MOS, I agree wholeheartedly about spellcheckers!

I had to love one player's persistent use of corpses as the plural of corps on the Strategic Command board. Though funny, it turned out to be an ESL problem. English is an easy language to speak badly, but darn tough to speak fluently or idiomatically.

That said, I do pay attention to spelling, consistent typos and grammar. Justly, or unjustly, I find myself biased against I-speak (du u want2play a game) and butchery of common usage. Enough slop, and I tend to tune out on a writer -- very few people's ideas are so good that this is a serious mistake on my part.

Teachers telling their students 'It doesn't matter if you can't spell, it's your fuzzy little ideas that matter..' is surely one of the crimes of the century. You need BOTH.

I reckon it is a grand excuse for teachers, who clearly cannot spell themselves. And worse, don't care.

Laziness. Been there myself, and the quality of student writing can be pretty horrific. But how do you go about correcting the errors of the teachers who preceded you? For -- if you're lucky -- twenty students in a quarter?

Briefly, lest I step too far into social commentary, the school system in the United States is a mess.

[ June 27, 2006, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Cary ]

Originally posted by Jurgen12/26HJ:

ok back to the subject of these bloody Engineers and Pionere's.

I want to make a scenerio where Engineers have to advance quickly and blow a bridge to bits before the enemy crosses. How the heck do you have your engineers target a bridge?

Move the engineers to within 30 meters of the bridge. Not too close, or some might be hurt when it blows. Use the "target" command and set "area fire" on the bridge. If you keep the target line within 30 meters it should say "use explosives" under "area fire." If you haven't guessed it, 30m is the farthest explosives can be thrown. They will do their thing the following turn.

Light bridges may take 4 or 5 explosive charges to blow. Heavier bridges will take much more damage before collapsing, so keep that in mind when editting troops. You may need to up the number of explosives carried by each squad. Also try to target the same bridge span. Targetting multiple spans will damage the bridge, but it must be blown to halt traffic over it.

Originally posted by Cary:

Been there myself, and the quality of student writing can be pretty horrific. But how do you go about correcting the errors of the teachers who preceded you? For -- if you're lucky -- twenty students in a quarter?

It doesn't matter how, but you must do it. Set clauses aside, if that's what it takes. Focus on spelling, usage, and for Pete's sake, maybe some punctuation. It's hard, and it only gets harder as this apathy is passed down through the system, but if you don't make an effort, how are you better than the teacher that preceeded you? How do you justify your title of "teacher?" That, too, is where the system fails.

That does it!

Why don't we declare war on grammar!? It is obviously a problem in this country (the US, that is). We declare war on all our other problems... so let's get to it!

Commas... CRUSHED!

Periods... POUNDED!

Intransitive verbs... now require a direct object!

Gerunds... that sounds French to me!

Diagramming sentences... 2 years in jail (Mandatory Sentence!)

Priests that help illegal aliens... now a felony! (oh, wait... wrong rant)

Introduce "Newspeak" immediately!

Originally posted by Jurgen12/26HJ:

ok back to the subject of these bloody Engineers and Pionere's.

I want to make a scenerio where Engineers have to advance quickly and blow a bridge to bits before the enemy crosses. How the heck do you have your engineers target a bridge?

I recently posted a scenario to TPG where engineers need to "build" a bridge. I placed several daisy chain mines on a bridge to represent the work that needs to be completed. Of course, you have to do this under fire. This is a CMAK scenario. (Shameless plug :eek: tongue.gif )

"Bridge Building" at TPG

I recently posted a scenario to TPG where engineers need to "build" a bridge.
Maybe you could do this by getting a row of assault boats across a wide river, to simulate a pontoon bridge? Sorry, my boat handling skills in CMAK are every bit as bad as they are in real life, so I apologise in advance if I am talking drivel!

Wun

PS I still reckon it was an opportunity missed, not putting the whole range of 79th Armoured Division vehicles in the game. Then you could have seen what Engineers could REALLY do!