Mapping Mission 1.08

EDIT:

Mapping Mission 1.08 has been released. It can be downloaded from the same location as 1.06 & 1.07 (that is, http://www.cmmc2.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1304 ). No new features in 1.08; it incorporates a few bug fixes and performance improvements.

Changes in 1.07:

* Added an "overview" display mode in which the map is displayed at 1/4 normal size. This lets you see more of the map at once. Note that you should probably turn elevation display off when using the overview, since the tiles are now too small to display the elevation text.

* Added a "CM" elevation mode option. The new CM mode restricts elevations to between 0 and 19, and displays the actual elevation level rather than the level multiplied by the 1.25m contour interval.

* Added an "Export Operation Map" option to allow exporting the larger map sizes supported by operations in CMBB. It is up to the user to make sure the CMBB map editor is set up for an operation before exporting a map when using this option.

* Fixed the "Ctrl + O" key shortcut so it will bring up the Open Map dialog as intended

* Fixed (finally!) the scrolling/resizing problem.

Also, for you Mac users: I've made some progress in updating my out-of-date Mac programming knowledge. No ETA yet but I am optimistic that it will in fact get done.

Mapping Mission 1.06 has been released. It can be downloaded from

http://www.cmmc2.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1304

Quick and dirty description for those unfamiliar with Mapping Mission: it is an alternative map editor for CMBB with many useful editing features like copy&paste. You can also build large maps and export segments of them to the CMBB map editor.

Changes in this version include:

* Fixed a bug in the elevation export code affecting maps with large elevation ranges

* Fixed a bug in the map grid dialog (only the first digit of each field was being read).

* Added additional export speed settings for users whose computers cannot keep up with exporting large maps.

* Improved the checks for valid map size before exporting -- MM should now support exporting all map sizes supported by CMBB.

* Fixed the annoying bug in which, if the user canceled out of the open map dialog, the old map would be unloaded (and the MM window shrunk down to postage stamp size).

* Modified export routine to reduce the number of east-west pans while exporting (thanks to Frans Jensen for the suggestion).

* Fixed a bug so hopefully the "Mapping Mission Prefs" file will now always be created in the directory containing the Mapping Mission program instead of the last-accessed directory.

* Improved the behavior of the tool palette window so it only appears when Mapping Mission is the active application (instead of having it float annoyingly on top of other apps).

* Fixed some bugs that seemed to cause MM to crash on some systems when switching between applications or accessing the Save dialog.

* Modified code that imports terrain from bitmaps to work with arbitrary bitmap sizes (bitmap pixels are sampled at an appropriate interval determined by the ratio of bitmap size in pixels to map size in tiles).

[ July 21, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: L.Tankersley ]

This is kinda off topic, I don't want to make a whole nother topic. I did a search, couldn't find too much helpful information on it.

How much elevation can there be in CMBB maps? Can there be very hilly or even steep mountaineous terrain with deep ravines and mountain roads? Or am I spoiled too much by other games?

Originally posted by Lumbergh:

So why don't they pay you and incorporate your magic into CMAK??

They can't afford me ;)

Although if they are interested in bundling MM with CMAK I wouldn't have a problem with that. There may be legal/other reasons why that might not be a good idea, though. Support, for example.

Originally posted by Raziaar:

How much elevation can there be in CMBB maps? Can there be very hilly or even steep mountaineous terrain with deep ravines and mountain roads? Or am I spoiled too much by other games?

Any single CMBB or CMBO map supports 20 different elevation levels (0-19 in the editor). The "contour interval" can be set to 5 meters, 2.5 meters or (in CMBB) 1.25 meters. So the maximum elevation change over a single CMBB map is 100 meters. You can build some quite dramatic elevation changes in CM, but if you do you lose some ability to have gentle slopes (and vice versa).

Mapping Mission, btw, supports 256 different elevation levels at a 1.25m contour interval. You don't want to use this entire range in the area of a single CMBB map because of the restriction above. But if you are exporting the map in "chunks," at export time, the program figures out the elevations used in the export area and does the best job it can to represent the elevation change in the area within the 20 allowed CM levels.

Thanks much, I guess to be totally sure, i'll have to wait until I get the game. I have yet to find a website that shows any screenshots of mountaneous and/or snowy terrain, or large dense cities, these are the things I have yet to see in the game, or even aircraft shadows on the map.

I still intend to do a Mac version, but (a) I haven't had much free time lately, and (B) I'm a slacker. :( Sorry about that...

I use a Mac at home, too, and I definitely want to get a Mac version done. I just need a block of time to surge and get a decent start and then inertia will carry me the rest of the way; unfortunately I have a lot of competing demands on my free time and there's always something that seems more pressing. Mac users are definitely not forgotten!

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Keke:

Just started to work with 20:000 topo map, and Map Mission is a life saver! smile.gif

Say, which map? Olen mallintanut paljon Talin-Ihantalan alueen karttaa, joten voisit säästää aikaasi... </font>

Leland, excellent work! I got it to run under Virtual PC with no problems. Of course I will get Kip to do the actual exporting for me, but hey, that's what friends are for :D

Thanks a lot for the work you have done for this.

BFC should buy the software off you!

Originally posted by Keke:

Siiranmäki, so no worries. smile.gif

Mitenkäs ison alueen Ihantalaa meinasit tehdä?

Käytän 7x8 km2 karttapohjaa joka kattaa kaiken Talista Ihantalaan ja Juustilan kanavalta Talin myllylle. Kaikkea en aio "värittää", mutta esim. Leitimojärven-Portinhoikan seutu on jo melkein kokonaan pussissa ja joitakin muitakin tärkeitä seutuja, esim. Marjamäki. Portinhoikka-kartta onkin jo Skenaariovarikolla.

Käytän 7x8 km2 karttapohjaa joka kattaa kaiken Talista Ihantalaan ja Juustilan kanavalta Talin myllylle. Kaikkea en aio "värittää", mutta esim. Leitimojärven-Portinhoikan seutu on jo melkein kokonaan pussissa ja joitakin muitakin tärkeitä seutuja, esim. Marjamäki. Portinhoikka-kartta onkin jo Skenaariovarikolla. </font>

Käytän 7x8 km2 karttapohjaa joka kattaa kaiken Talista Ihantalaan ja Juustilan kanavalta Talin myllylle. Kaikkea en aio "värittää", mutta esim. Leitimojärven-Portinhoikan seutu on jo melkein kokonaan pussissa ja joitakin muitakin tärkeitä seutuja, esim. Marjamäki. Portinhoikka-kartta onkin jo Skenaariovarikolla.

Asia selvä. Jos joskus aikaa liikenee niin Siiranmäen jälkeen voisin mallintaa Äyräpää-Vuosalmen...ellet ehdi ensin. ;)

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Käytän 7x8 km2 karttapohjaa joka kattaa kaiken Talista Ihantalaan ja Juustilan kanavalta Talin myllylle. Kaikkea en aio "värittää", mutta esim. Leitimojärven-Portinhoikan seutu on jo melkein kokonaan pussissa ja joitakin muitakin tärkeitä seutuja, esim. Marjamäki. Portinhoikka-kartta onkin jo Skenaariovarikolla. </font>

Originally posted by Scarhead:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei: