Ski units

I played a QB against the AI the other night with ski units for the first time, and the first thing I noticed at setup was no hide command, which I thought strange.

In real life this wouln't be a problem would it, so any advice or info would be vey welcome as always?

Btw, I did a quick search but I never found anything regarding the hide command for ski units, unless I've overlooked it.

So after lambasting Seanachai for being "a grog" in the CMAK forum, you now come crawling with...

....meh, not worth it. Ask yourself how good you would be at hiding WITH A PAIR OF SKIS ON.

You do know what skis are, yes? Those rather long things outdoor recreationists sometimes attach to the ends of their feet?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

So after lambasting Seanachai for being "a grog" in the CMAK forum, you now come crawling with...

....meh, not worth it. Ask yourself how good you would be at hiding WITH A PAIR OF SKIS ON.

You do know what skis are, yes? Those rather long things outdoor recreationists sometimes attach to the ends of their feet?

Do you hold grudges against all people who might happen to upset you or someone you know, or do all grogs feel their better than any one else?

I 'd have thought you could maybe hide skis under the snow as in real life, but if you can't answer a simple question then maybe some other kind and considerate person can.

And no I don't think I'm better than anyone else and happen to think all men are equal, but what's dished out to me is returned in equal measure and works both ways.

Ooh. So much bad energy concentrated into this thread. Clearly I'm needed to improve things.

Michael, shouldn't you be spotting some icebergs on the coast of Newfoundland while drinking rum and listening to calypso, or something, instead of intimidating ignoramuses who have never heard of the Horsemen during their unimportant lives? Or do you really persist on not letting off until even this stray lamb has had enough and joins the Islamic League of Holy Resistance and Bingo on Tuesday Evenings? People crying, is that what you want?

Instead of taking such a negative attitude, you could try loving this poor noob. Adopt him as your younger brother, take him to sauna with you, teach him the facts of life and keep him at least one forum's distance away from Seanachai.

Thank you.

Sergei, you realise you sound very, very disney fruity, don't you ? That, or you only imply that Dorosh ought to be gayer than a tree full of monkeys high on nitrous oxyde.

Oh and Skellen ? You're not supposed to fight on skis. It's hard enough to use the bloody things as it is. Consider them like personnal, very very lightly armored APCs for your troops. That disappears when you don't need it anymore. And doesn't cost you any point. And make you look somewhat silly.

Kobal, I think that if we all just love eachother really, REALLY much, then all wars will end and Madmatt will start looking civilized. Maybe even Andreas will behave in some un-Germanly (or un-bastardly if you please) manner and stop making operations in which you're supposed to attack with a Cavalry platoon or two against an impregnable stronghold of German infantry, tanks and guns, on a map that looks like has been pulled out of a llama's ass (and I mean "llama's ass" in the less attractive meaning of that word). Yes, I believe in the power of love.

No, you can't hid on skis in CMBB. And not to disrupt all the festivities, but IMHO this is actually a bit unrealistic. It's quite easy to hide on a pair of skis.

I grew up in Vermont. X-country skiing was, and still is, a big thing with me. As a teenager, I used to hunt varmint and play paintball all the time with friends whlie on X-country skis and Snowshoes. I have often hunched down in ambush behind a bush with my skis on, ready to hit and run the first unsuspecting squirrel/paintballer to come across my field of view.

And yes, I know that modern X-country skis are different from the ones worn by ski troops in the 1940s. My grandfather founded a ski shop in Northern New York state in the 1940s, and for nostalgia kept a few of the old wood and leather style skis around that he sold when the shop first opened. I've actually skiied on a pair that my Great-grandfather (a Norwegian emigre) built by hand sometime in the 1930s -- the leather strapping had to be replaced, but otherwise the skis were pretty much as they had been 60 years before. They're heavier and slower than modern skis, but the bindings still have enough flexibility to crouch or lie down with your feet in the skis.

I suspect decently trained ski troops would have no trouble hiding without removing their skiis at all. At worst, they'd just have to loosen the bindings a bit, and the even old lace and buckle style bindings can be retightened in a few seconds.

Cheers,

YD

Hmmmm, time for some actual ski analysis.

It's June and no snow here. I don't own any skis, let alone antique military ones. However, I dimly recall my G.I. Joe having a pair of white combat skis. The binding seemed to've been a spring (the size of a ball-point pen spring) wrapped around the space for the foot. His toes slipped under the spring and his heel fit into a "cup". Very easy to move around in.

Therefore, using this analysis, it's obvious that men on skis should be allowed to hide.

Thank you.

Ken

It would be interesting to know what hiding is in CM.

One can easily lay down with skies on or crouch low. (I often find myself laying down from trying to turn with too heavy a pack on while cross country sking)

It would be quiet easy to drop down sidways and use a rifle as well, leaving the skies on to quickly get up.

Does anyone know how firearms are carried by ski troops? As rifles could present a problem when crashing with skies on. One of my freinds is in the Olympic event where you shoot from skies and he tells me they carry the rifle accross their back. But this would be harder if you had a pack on as well and needed to use it quickly.

To Tar: get a nice pair of steps and leave the Klister at home. Just fill the steps with candle wax when you want to get a good run. Only kidding. I hate klister on what is called snow in Australia, too many wax changes required.

Cheers