Bridges and tanks

Okay - I have a scenario with one bridge and a few fords over a river. It's a small, steel-girder light bridge. Without exception, every unit under AI control will bypass it and go across the fords - where several armour units will usually get stuck.

I can manually move the tanks and other vehicles over the bridges without problems (do bridges ever break under the load?).

Are they avoiding it because it's light? If I upgrade it to medium, will they cross? Or does it have to be heavy?

You can damage bridges, and you can blow them up. Play around with a Sturmtiger or some heavy artillery, or shoot it with a lot of tanks. After a while, that thing will blow up. If I have the chance to play CMBB, I'll post screenshots this evening CET (ie within the next three hours)...

[ January 13, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: pakfan ]

If the engineers have demo charges, they can. Have them area target the bridge and, as long as the range is short enough (25m, I think), it should say "Use Explosives" under the targeting line. Click and watch the demo charges fly. The number of demo charges needed to demolish a bridge depends on the type of bridge, but I think 2 to 4 generally does it.

Ace

Very strange. I changed it to a medium bridge and re-arranged the greenery to make it less a target zone. AI tanks will still drive from one side of the map, through open killing zones, right past the bridge, to attempt to cross the ford on the far side of the map.

Damned difficult to understand this AI at times.

If you really want to see the strange AI behavior sometimes check this bridge screenie . I took it after playin the "Message from Goetz" scenario. Is this strange or what? And I was wondering where Iwan was at the whole time :confused:

Edit: I cannot type :D

Mies

[ January 17, 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Mies ]

Going slightly off-topic. As an old CMBO player I was mighty surprised last night to see a tank successfully drive UNDER a bridge (which passed over the roadway). This is something that could not be done in CMBO. Could you always do this in CMBB? All these months of playing and it never came up.

That's strange, MikeyD. I've always been able to drive tanks under bridges (when there is a roadway under the bridge span).

In CMBO AND CMBB. No problem.

You've never been able to do that?

It might have something to do with where you place the waypoints. I always place one waypoint infront of the bridge span, and one waypoint on the other side of the bridge span. Never right UNDER the bridge as it tends to get funky A.I. action that way.

smile.gif

Gpig

It's been so long since I've played CMBO I can barely remember now, but I recall either the vehicle would move heaven and earth in an effort to get around the overhead bridge span, or they'd magically pop 'onto' the bridge as they pass through the terrain element. Am I crazy for remembering it that way? :confused: