Tank Machine Guns and jamming

Apparently the current modeling down't allow simulation of gun jamming unless the firearm in question is a separate entity.

I don't think it's such a flaw that tank guns don't jam; considering that they're quite sealed from dirt, the mechanism is more stable.

The lack of jamming in infantry squads doesn't bother me either, since a) it doesn't affect the total firepower of a squad radically, and B) other infantry firearms don't jam, either.

the jamming of MGs bothers me a lot because a) infantry is almost invulnerable to MG fire, and B) infantry is almost invulnerable to MG fire.

a wide open field with no cover. 50 enemy combatants with rifles at 200 meters. me at the treeline with AK-47. they will go down.

now, give me MG-42 with tripod and they will just Advance and disarm me.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

What the hell are you talking about? Did you somehow manage to import the CM:BO infantry to CM:BB? :confused:

must be. i am unable to lose if i simply Advance (about 60 meters per minute) a platoon towards a MG.

anyone standing up on open ground should die. MG fire should pin down anyone on the LOF.

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

must be. i am unable to lose if i simply Advance (about 60 meters per minute) a platoon towards a MG.

anyone standing up on open ground should die. MG fire should pin down anyone on the LOF.

Would you like to put your claim to a test? 800 point Axis attack, combined arms + infantry composition. I'll defend as the Soviets. Set up a PBEM anytime. :D

Or a TCP/IP, if you're available during weekend...

What you see isn't whats actually there. Lot's of it is abstracted. open field doesn't mean flat putting greens, there are ditches, grass, small rises, piles of stones etc. 50 men in a field and you in a tree like with an AK at 200m. They aren't going to go down like ten pins.

You open fire with an inaccurate automatic firearm, you're shaking, because there's fifty of them. You open fire, a shattering stacatto of fire rips across the field. The enemy men are suprised, their crouched, advancing posture presents a small cross section.

The enemy was anticipating some action, they hit the dirt. You can't tell if you hit them, they're already opening fire at you. You're not sure if they know where you are, or if they're just firing sporadically to keep you down.

You, fanatic to defend your home village, reload and keep firing toward them. Your hands are shaking, you're thinking of what to do. You can't retreat, if these men advance you die. A minute later (XD) one of thier squads starts up and runs toward the tree line, the others firing toward you.

Bullets smacking into wet dirt, rattling the trees and a small mortar has started shelling your fox hole. You reload and keep firing, the enemy squad gets close, you snap some shots off at them. One of them tumbles to the ground. You're not sure if you killed him or not. You'll never find out, because one of the other 3 squad's LMGs opened fire on your position.

7.92mm bullets smack into you all over, you finally take cover. You throw your sole grenade, and then notice a roaring, clanking sound. You peek up just in time to see the 75mm gun of a STuG III spout flame.

Lesson, warfare isn't a nice thing where you're in a perfectly prepared position with flat putting greens to shoot the enemy.

Originally posted by Denwad:

What you see isn't whats actually there. Lot's of it is abstracted.

none of the abstracted things matter. it's not like the infantry platoon would be hiding or pinned down. they are actually advancing.

now i don't mean to say that the MG42 should kill them by the very second. it should just pin them down. all of them. now if they try to mass advance in that horrible situation, half of them should be cut to half.

[/QB]

Bone, use scenario editor. insert a forest. place a MG42 into the treeline. now insert a platoon of infantry 200-400 meters away from the treeline. now run the scenario and Advance the platoon towards the treeline, 60 meters by a turn. if you somehow manage to lose, i will accept your challenge smile.gif

Please... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Denwad:

What you see isn't whats actually there. Lot's of it is abstracted. open field doesn't mean flat putting greens, there are ditches, grass, small rises, piles of stones etc. 50 men in a field and you in a tree like with an AK at 200m. They aren't going to go down like ten pins.

You open fire with an inaccurate automatic firearm, you're shaking, because there's fifty of them. You open fire, a shattering stacatto of fire rips across the field. The enemy men are suprised, their crouched, advancing posture presents a small cross section.

The enemy was anticipating some action, they hit the dirt. You can't tell if you hit them, they're already opening fire at you. You're not sure if they know where you are, or if they're just firing sporadically to keep you down.

You, fanatic to defend your home village, reload and keep firing toward them. Your hands are shaking, you're thinking of what to do. You can't retreat, if these men advance you die. A minute later (XD) one of thier squads starts up and runs toward the tree line, the others firing toward you.

Bullets smacking into wet dirt, rattling the trees and a small mortar has started shelling your fox hole. You reload and keep firing, the enemy squad gets close, you snap some shots off at them. One of them tumbles to the ground. You're not sure if you killed him or not. You'll never find out, because one of the other 3 squad's LMGs opened fire on your position.

7.92mm bullets smack into you all over, you finally take cover. You throw your sole grenade, and then notice a roaring, clanking sound. You peek up just in time to see the 75mm gun of a STuG III spout flame.

Lesson, warfare isn't a nice thing where you're in a perfectly prepared position with flat putting greens to shoot the enemy.

Is it just me or did someone else too get strangely arroused by that? :rolleyes::D

Bone, use scenario editor. insert a forest. place a MG42 into the treeline. now insert a platoon of infantry 200-400 meters away from the treeline. now run the scenario and Advance the platoon towards the treeline, 60 meters by a turn. if you somehow manage to lose, i will accept your challenge smile.gif

A few weeks ago JasonC described some infantry tactics just like this. IIRC Jason placed the MG in a trench (great cover). He provided a turn-by-turn report. It was an excellent teaching scenario, using classic fire and move tactics. Advance 40-60M is THE command to use when moving across open areas.

Originally posted by General Colt:

It was an excellent teaching scenario, using classic fire and move tactics. Advance 40-60M is THE command to use when moving across open areas.

Doesn't matter, I still want to challenge the goddamn reindeer. :mad:

[ March 16, 2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Bone_Vulture ]

Originally posted by General Colt:

A few weeks ago JasonC described some infantry tactics just like this. IIRC Jason placed the MG in a trench (great cover). He provided a turn-by-turn report. It was an excellent teaching scenario, using classic fire and move tactics. Advance 40-60M is THE command to use when moving across open areas.

i know, i posted criticism on that thread :D my criticism was focused mainly on the very point i am making on this thread.

a better example would have had a platoon of infantry instead of a single MG. or at least a HQ to rally that MG. single MG is good for nothing but lighting up poorly armored vehicles.

the problem with that example is that once you have a platoon or company of infantry agaisnt you, your infantry becomes less important as the proper use of mortars and such becomes the key element to victory.

but yeah, i agree with JasonC that infantry can easily advance on open field (when not facing large calibre fire). in my opinion that is a flaw in the CM engine. it becomes more or less a serious flaw if you play small scale infantry battles.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Doesn't matter, I still want to challenge the goddamn reindeer. :mad:

grrrrh! allrighty then, you bony vulture of a man! :mad:

now, i make no promises of when i will drop you the turn, for i am one busy undead (trolling these forums from work, naturally), but i'll do my best. i'll send the turn prolly some time next week or so.

so you better prepare yourself for some PBEM carnage, you European scum! :mad: