Curious about the BA-10

I am playing a scenario with a number of these rolling bathtubs, and I am wondering:

re: when I give the order to fire unbuttoned they button up during the action phase, and when the orders phase begins they appear unbuttoned....

Do they require the cmdr. inside the tank to fire or am I just seeing things?

Thanx.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Which explains their ubersuckiness.

gigantoid suckiness. I've had one explode - that means, actually EXPLODE - due to mg34 fire. Actually i've had this happen multiple times.

I'm not sure if it was an early war armor mishap or what. I think its armor got better over time?

You do have to wonder about what the Russian were thinking sometimes. The combination commander/gunner is about the most awkward two man turret setup I can imagine.

And tanks like the KV didn't really have a commander's hatch -- even worse than in the game! The KV-1 turret hatch was nowhere near the commander's seat, and that little KV-1S commander's cupola didn't have a hatch! The KV-1S commander should really be popping up out of the loader's hatch.

You do have to wonder about what the Russian were thinking sometimes. The combination commander/gunner is about the most awkward two man turret setup I can imagine.
If commander is able to look around, he just might realize that situation is hopeless and run away instead of continuing to fire damn gun!

;)

Originally posted by MikeyD:

And tanks like the KV didn't really have a commander's hatch -- even worse than in the game! The KV-1 turret hatch was nowhere near the commander's seat, and that little KV-1S commander's cupola didn't have a hatch! The KV-1S commander should really be popping up out of the loader's hatch.

Exactly right, even in their post war designs the Russians created some real rolling horror shows, i.e. the auto-loader on the main gun of t-55 to 62 series, that would chamber a man's arm if he wasnt fast enough, the BTR series of APC's that had the gas tanks in the rear doors, and the BMP series of AFVs, that could not be ridden in unless you were 5'2" or less.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

... even in their post war designs the Russians created some real rolling horror shows, i.e. ... , the BTR series of APC's that had the gas tanks in the rear doors, ...

Not to defend Soviet design practices, but IIRC, that was to provide some additional radiation sheilding - remember everyone was planning for a nuclear war at the time. Besides, the fuel tanks have to be somewhere, and having them out of LOS on the back of the vehicle seems like a reasonable spot.

Regards

JonS

Exactly right, even in their post war designs the Russians created some real rolling horror shows, i.e. the auto-loader on the main gun of t-55 to 62 series, that would chamber a man's arm if he wasnt fast enough, the BTR series of APC's that had the gas tanks in the rear doors, and the BMP series of AFVs, that could not be ridden in unless you were 5'2" or less.

It was the BMP series that had the fuel cells in the rear doors. They had a real tendencay to brew up when hit. Although to their credit, they did set the standard for the modern APC (Light, fast, armed with auto cannon and AT missles, and hold around 6 to 10 men.) The Soviets had the BMP-1 while NATO troops still rode in .50 armed M113s.

The BRT-60 and BRT-70 (8 wheeled APC) had the nifty "feature" of the side hatches being so small that troops in full combat gear couldn't fit through the doorway. Not very fun when under fire. I heard the the BRT-80 and other future models had this problem fixed.

Originally posted by Frunze:

Eh, y'all just need to play more games with T-70s or whatever it is...the light tank with the one-man turret. You'll be grateful for the two-man turrets then.

Frunze -- you'd better watch out posting in the CMBB forum. You're taking away some of the ammunition from those gunning at you in the GF. :D But then again, for some reason actually playing the game gives arguments more credibility in some members' eyes. :rolleyes:

"I disagree with you 100 per cent. Do you even play CM? Oh you do. Well then, I agree with you 100 per cent. Let's go find somone who doesn't play and pile on."