*** The Kursk Pack ***

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Of the 5 scenarios I've tested so far one features a Pz III, another has 2 Stugs and one more features 2 Halftracks, and that's about it. For the most part they are all small infantry-type scenarios of maybe a platoon or two total.

So this is what we are waiting for then.

kursk.jpg

Originally posted by Ligur:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

Of the 5 scenarios I've tested so far one features a Pz III, another has 2 Stugs and one more features 2 Halftracks, and that's about it. For the most part they are all small infantry-type scenarios of maybe a platoon or two total.

So this is what we are waiting for then.

kursk.jpg </font>

Originally posted by Zimorodok:

Mr Noobie. I don't know if you'd be interested but I was in Moscow in January and I visited the museum of the great patriotic war, anyway I took quite a few pics of the Dioramas there with my digital camera. I've got nowhere on the internet to post them but if you (or anyone else) is interested I can e-mail them to you. I'm not the worlds greatest photographer but they're OK.

I would be glad to post them up on my site Ant. I have the room.

Zimorodok [/QB]

Guys!!!

The pic still isn't quite right. With the walrus you've got the description all wrong. Hopefully this is better tusk.jpg

Ok! Ok! I know...it's getting a bit silly now

Later

MG42

P.S. I am soooo looking forward to this Kursk pack. My respect to all of the developers!!!

Originally posted by Gamax:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Trivial Pursuit question #2: What the hell is a Ferdinand and a Panther doing at Prokhorovka?

Ok for Panther, but are you sure that there were no Ferdinands in Kursk battle? </font>

Originally posted by Von Paulus:

I have a question :

How many scenarios and operations will be released ?

Paulus

The total so far is:

Franko - 1 Op. He may have a few more in the works. I'll edit this post when I find out.

Jwxspoon - 1 scenario. This will come in one and two player versions.

Kinch - 2 scenarios

Kingfish - 1 scenario. Possible second in the works.

Rune - 1 scenario

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gamax:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Trivial Pursuit question #2: What the hell is a Ferdinand and a Panther doing at Prokhorovka?

Ok for Panther, but are you sure that there were no Ferdinands in Kursk battle? </font>

Originally posted by Gamax:

Where can I find information about this battle? What tanks were involved? How many of them?

Zetterling and Frankson. Kursk 1943, p 102, 107-109:

First the extent of the battle of Prokhorovka must be defined. Our definition is that the clash started on 12 July and ended on 16 July. It involved II SS-Panzer Corps and III Panzer Corps on the German side, while the Red Army had three armies involved in the fighting (69th Army, 5th Guards Tank Army and 5th Guards Army).

If the strength for 12 July is used, it can be concluded that the [iII Panzer Corps] probably had no more than 135 tanks and assault guns available for the Prokhorovka battle. ...[O]n the evening before 12 July the II SS-Panzer Corps had 294 tanks and assault guns operational of which 15 were Tigers (no Panthers or Ferdinands, not even in workshops).

It seems that against the German III Panzer Corps, at least 150 Soviet tanks were newly committed on 12 July, while at least 450 tanks were hurled against II SS-Panzer Corps. Also a further 100 joined in against the II SS-Panzer Corps on 13 July, on the northern side of the Psel. As we have written earlier the 2nd Tank Corps and 2nd Guards Tank Corps had 187 tanks together and, if we assume that at least 120 belonged to 2nd Guards Tank Corps (80 versus II SS and 40 versus III Panzer), these figures will be obtained.

Depending on how one prefers to define the battle at Prokhorovka, it involved from 294 German (II SS-Panzer Corps) and 616 Soviet AFV (those engaging II SS-Panzer Corps) up to a maximum of 429 German and 870 Soviet AFV.

Tank losses have often been described as equally severe for both sides but this does not match the reality. The German losses in destroyed tanks were very small compared to the losses suffered by the Red Army. The II SS-Panzer Corps lost 36 tanks and assault guns between 5 and 23 July of which at least 19 were destroyed before Prokhorovka. Accordingly, the II SS-Panzer Corps cannot have lost more than 17 during Prokhorovka.

The III Panzer Corps, which had less armour than II SS-Panzer Corps, seems to have had higher losses. During the period from 11 to 20 July, it lost 37 tanks and assault guns, but not all units of the corps took part in the Prokhorovka battle.

Rotmistrov's 5th Guards Tank Army reported that it had lost 222 T-34, 89 T-70, 12 Churchill and 11 assault guns up to 16 July. These were total write-offs. This gives a total of 334 destroyed Soviet tanks and assault guns, which can be compared to, at most, 54 German tanks and assault guns destroyed. This means the Soviet tank losses were at least six times higher. In fact, since more German units are included in this calculation than actually took part in the Prokhorovka battle, while not all Soviet units are included, the real ratio was even higher.

Big thanks Keke for the HISTORIC "version" of Kurks / Prohorovka!

I wanted also write a warning message to the designer not to make 500 Tigers + Panters vs. 500 T-34s, as it is written in the russian "militaric history" and so on in most western historic books... :( The numbers, what you wrote is about equivalent as I read. (about 800 russian armoured, not more, than 200 german) German losses were very few and it can be said, that in that day, in that place the germans has won, not the russians.

Originally posted by uhu:

Big thanks Keke for the HISTORIC "version" of Kurks / Prohorovka!

I wanted also write a warning message to the designer not to make 500 Tigers + Panters vs. 500 T-34s, as it is written in the russian "militaric history" and so on in most western historic books... :( The numbers, what you wrote is about equivalent as I read. (about 800 russian armoured, not more, than 200 german) German losses were very few and it can be said, that in that day, in that place the germans has won, not the russians.

There no way I'm doing that: there were no Tigers at Prokhorovka, either. No panthers. The Soviets were massacred by ordinary, and outnumbered, Panzer IVs.

F

Originally posted by Keke:

Rotmistrov's 5th Guards Tank Army reported that it had lost 222 T-34, 89 T-70, 12 Churchill and 11 assault guns up to 16 July. These were total write-offs. This gives a total of 334 destroyed Soviet tanks and assault guns, which can be compared to, at most, 54 German tanks and assault guns destroyed. This means the Soviet tank losses were at least six times higher. In fact, since more German units are included in this calculation than actually took part in the Prokhorovka battle, while not all Soviet units are included, the real ratio was even higher.

But from this it seems that Germans won the battle. Not only won, but also humiliated Soviets. Six times more... wow. :eek:

And what about men, how many casualties there were?