Help me enjoy this game more....

First let me say I am NOT downing CM:BB. The problem with my enjoyment is most likely all my fault. Please don't come bite my head off. =)

So last week I baught CM:BB special edition. Mostly on the premise that it was published by the same people who put out tacops4 and I was looking for something new. I got home read through the manual sucking up all the important bits. >slurp< Then I fired up the tutorial. It was kind of boring just sitting there watching this one super tank clobber all the other tanks[though the panzers did "blowed up real good" tongue.gif ]...so I went to the advanced tutorial and was happy to have more units and more complexity. But the mission seemed the same, slug it out. So after playing through the tutorial Ive tried some small/tiny scenerios, but the actions seems about the same...."slug it out, slug it out again, and slug it out some more"

So my question is I suppose....what am I doing wrong?

[ October 26, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: phil- ]

Hmm... have you played CMBO before this?

If not, I guess you'll just need to play some more to learn better what you're doing. Fool around with different settings (there's a lot of variability in the game... 1941-45, different countries, force types, maps, mission types etc.). Try scenario The Move Back, that should be fun for a beginner against the AI.

I must say this is the feeling i first had when I first played CMBO many, many years ago. I got over it by playing a smallish (500point) Quickbattle on a large map. You get to choose your units, giving you a sense of ownership and the smaller number of units normally means no heavy tanks slogging it out. Having a large map means theres lots of terrain to move around on, getting behind lines etc.

Did you win your battles? If you did, then maybe you're quite good at this and need a greater challenge. I mean that. I, too, bought this last week and all I've done is try a couple of random battles using only infantry. I am getting waxed every time. But, what I am doing is learning about formations, movement, suppressing fire etc.. Also, my knowledge of the weapons is growing.

When I first looked at the demo a year or so ago, I didn't like the game. I was looking for a third person shooter with first person graphics. I had little appreciation of what what going on. Now, I understand that is basically ASL in 3d.

Try this. Set up some random battles using only infantry or tanks. Read about the different formations and try them out. Do you win? What worked? What didn't?. Select a unit and hit enter. Gobs of info on it pop up. I am seeing that the more I know about the weapons, tactics and army, the more I like the game.

Give it a go!

Poor Man's ASL Website

I assume that you're attacking with all your infantry online, using support weapons to blast defenders out of their positions? If that's the case, you're playing to the defenders strengths, when you should be looking to find and exploit a weakness. For example, when attacking with a rifle company have one platoon pin the defenders frontally while a second platoon attempts a flanking maneuver. Have the third platoon ready to exploit. Your aim is generally to flank your opponent and roll up his defences, rather than expending ammunition on a frontal assault.

Wasn't sure if your question was directed at me, but so others may learn, I'll respond. I am practicing movement to contact with roughly 3 platoons (about 300 pts). First battle, first use of formations. Second battle, used formations (split squad to front etc..). Unfortunately the comp. generated a battle with enemy armor (T34) and gave me a tank killing squad. So the dynamics were different. My focus shifted to taking out the tank, which I was able to do. But I think that I will still lose the battle overall. I flanked with my far right

platoon. By then, the T34 had eliminated my far left platoon. But it was fun and I learned some more.

Poor Man's ASL Website

[ October 27, 2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: JohnCalvin ]

Originally posted by JohnCalvin:

Wasn't sure if your question was directed at me, but so others may learn, I'll respond.

It wasn't, but from the description of your current games I would recommend taking things more slowly, not splitting squads, for example, instead concentrate on perfecting your basic tactics. Also, when starting out try a June 1941 game, attacking as Germans. You might still come across tanks, but they'll be much easier to deal with than later war armour.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

Also, when starting out try a June 1941 game, attacking as Germans. You might still come across tanks, but they'll be much easier to deal with than later war armour.

I've got two letters for you: K. V.

;) </font>

Another way to enjoy the game is to dress the part. Put on a helmet, pistol belt with canteen, first aid pouch, and a beer can in each ammo pouch. If you have any opposite sex neighbors invite them over as hostages, You win, you get to interrogate them. You lose, they exact thier revenge. Or play the hot seat with them. Each piece of armor destroyed results in surrendering a uniform item. Endless possibilities.... you'll enjoy the game.

I'll try one of the early (1941) battles as suggested. BTW, wasnt' Fall Bleu "Case Blue" the code name for Stalingrad? If so, then that would be for 1942. Will check it out anyway.

I do think the random battle thing is pretty good. You've got a manageable level of troops, with the mix you want, taking fairly simple objectives. It works quite well. And when you think of it, on the company scale, taking some village or farm was commonplace, but never made it to the history books.

Jack Carr's Top Ten List of ways to make CMBB more enjoyable:

1) Purchase and put on uniform of whichever side your playing and scream out loud when your men die.

2) Drink heavily while playing.

3) Play naked!

4) Get the whole damn neighborhood involved in a game or two.

5) Become emotionally attached to your men.

6) Pizza party and CMBB make a great combo!

7) Every time you get in your car to go somewhere pretend your on a CMBB map and look for good ambush spots on your way to wherever your going.

8) Yodel while you play.

9) Amputate a limb to get into the mood of the thing.

10) Line up Axis and Allied tanks on opposite ends of a blank, featureless, flat map and give all of the tanks fast commands to the other side of the map. Whoever gets the most tanks to the other side wins the war!

Just kidding. CMBB is great so don't give up on it.

One thing that helps in appreciation of the game is a sense of history.

Your forces in the game are not 'generic' units. Specific weapons types show up at specific moments to counter specific threats, matching the historical timeline. After battling Russian T34s in 1942 you heave a sigh of relief when the long barreled PzIIIs, PzIVs and Stugs start to show up. After battling German Tiger Is in 1943 you heave a sign of relief when Stalin tanks and 85mm gun tanks show up. And after playing with Russian conscripts in 1941 (someone once said it was like trying to herd cats) its pure joy to command a crack Guards company in 1945.

The key to enjoying CM? Perspective perspective perspective!

[ October 27, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]