Graphics improvement from CMBO to CMBB

I've done some searching on the topic but couldn't really come to a conclusion on whether my system might be affected by downsampling.

I've been playing CMBB for a few months and have to say that I'm not really seeing much of a difference in the graphics from CMBO. I'm concerned CMBB may be downsampling but I'm pretty sure there's no reason it should be.

I'm on a 2.4Ghz PC running XP with a GEForce4 Ti 4200 (128mb).

I had my CMBO fully modded so I guess it's possible that I just won't notice much difference in the CMBB graphics.

I've played around with FSAA and anisotropic settings but I didn't really notice much difference. I hesitate to switch video drivers since the game is, functionally, working perfectly.

So my question? For those of you who also used to run fully modded CMBO games, did you notice a big improvement in the graphics when you switched to CMBB?

If so, are there some tips anyone can give me on getting the sharpest graphics out of CMBB since I'm just not seeing much difference?

Apologies in advance to those that think this should have gone in the Tech Support forum. It was a toss-up in my opinion... smile.gif

Hmmm, whether there's a signficant visible difference between default CMBB and 'fully modded' CMBO is a sticky question.

A good deal of CMBB's default art was done BY the very people who did the best CMBO 3rd party mods! CMBB has much more accurate vehicle polygons, though it takes a carefully done mod to bring out the accuracy of some polygons.

There's also vehicle count in CMBB to consider. CMBO had one generic Stug model. CMBB has a laundry list of distinct Stug types, each with at least two different textures, depending on date used.

So, my own conclusoion is though it's obvious CMBB and CMBO are the same basic game engine CMBB's made with much more love and attention. And if you compare modded CMBO with MODDED CMBB, not the default art, CMBB's superiority really stands out.

The overly enthusiastic downsampling seems to be a Mac thing.

What MikeyD said about there being 'old hands' at work is obviously true. These are folks with a lot of experience regarding the way CM treats Graphics, including when it has to downsample, & that shows. A lot of the default art is just plain first rate. And if you 'stand back' a little you can see how much better it all fits together. It's subtle but it has a big effect, IMO. I would guess that part is what KwazeyDog spent a lot of time lying awake worrying about.

strt

Originally posted by MikeyD:

...And if you compare modded CMBO with MODDED CMBB, not the default art, CMBB's superiority really stands out.

This is something I haven't done yet (engrossed in playing and haven't gotten a chance to add mods yet) and hadn't thought about. Good point, Mike. I may not be comparing apples to apples, yet.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have just received the bundle pack. I straight away installed Mad Matts graphic packs for CMBO Juju's small arms and a gridded grass.

To me I prefer CMBO, I like the vegitation colours better. Maybe it is my eye sight being over 40 but I can not see a great dirrerence after these small modofications. I run my screen at 1024 X 768 & FSAA.

Maybe after I play a bit longer (and start to use CMMOS) I may see a major difference, but not now.

Cheers Markl

I'm currently running 1280x1024 which seems good. Evan at level 1 the units are not too big then. I have FSAAx4 and AFx8 on. Can't say I notice loads of difference though but I've left them on. I have exactly the same card as you and time and time again I've been told to stick with the 3087 drivers so that's what I've got. I think the FSAA and AF may have more effect with different cards. I posted an FSAA and AF thred in tech support and one of the guys recommends dl and using a tweaking tool but I'm not sure about that, don't want to risk too much third party stuff. What soundcard do you have by the way? I have an audigy and am tempted to DL the new drivers for that.

[ March 16, 2003, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]