Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Air support follies...

I was just testing Hans "Small Battles, near Smolensk" and had the darnest thing happen.

*Spoilers Ahead!*

In the Battle, a single T-34 pops up behind the German lines as a re-enforment on about turn 8. On turn 8 a Stuka shows up. During my play as the Soviets the T-34 appeares right next to a large group of German units. 3 seconds into the turn the Stuka shows up...and targets the T-34.

"Soldat Top Gun" proceeds to blow up about half a dozen German trucks and friendly other units while leaving the T-34 untouched.

It happens a fair bit but you have to laugh when a IL-2 turns up and blasts an already dead T34...several times...lmao. Happened in a recent QB against the AI. See bad things happen to the AI too!! The level of the pilot makes a huge difference I have found, green pilots are more likely to bomb your troops back into the stone age and trucks parked about are top priority it seems for any flyboy.

In one of my first PBEMs I played the Germans, defending in '41. Expecting to face heavy armor I bought a 50mmL60 and a Henschel. The 50 was set up in a trench, in scattered trees, and nicely keyholed to give it flank shots against anything coming through the most likely approach. The Henschel showed up and made a couple of strafes, and I saw a smoke plume in my opponent's rear area. Great! I thought: this is working! Found out later he'd nailed a T-26. Then on his last strafe, he targeted the well-hidden 50mm! And killed 3 crewmen IIRC, panicking the gun, just as my opponent's heavy armor approached.

I still buy air sometimes, since few people do and I like to see the look on my opponents' faces. It's usually something like :mad:

:D

While playing a PBEM a while ago I was laughing when my opponents Henschel blasted a couple of his trucks. Unfortunatly I was still laughing when his buddy turned around and blasted my only platoon of T34s with one bomb, killing two and gun damaging the other. Sometimes your the windshield...

Matt, do you owe me a turn?

The level of the pilot makes a huge difference I have found, green pilots are more likely to bomb your troops back into the stone age and trucks parked about are top priority it seems for any flyboy.
Ain't that the truth. In a game of [CENSORED], I had the Russians - and in spite of a ton of thin-skinned T-26s and BTs roaming around, the enemy Stukas (after dropping their bombs on KVs) had massive woodies for my Jeeps. And even then they could only manage about one each.

Trucks - the other white meat!

Doncha just love the flyboys and there unerring ability to hit nothing critical? I take flyers of all descriptions as my points allow cos I like the sound the engines makes when it arrives..silly I know but I guess I was made special tongue.gif On the upside I have seen Flyers hit some really good targets occasionly but I have paid for crack or veteran IL-2's or Stukas to do the job. Never seen my Flak shoot at my own planes tho but I wondered if it ever happened in someone elses games cos it had to have happened IRL at some point. Anyone else with horrendous flying attacks?

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I was running some tests on a scenario I was fiddling around with and watched with interest when my Stuka began strafing my own tanks. Then it really got interesting when my own quad 4 AA shot the Stuka down.

I wonder who gets the victory points for that smile.gif

(Not really)

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I was running some tests on a scenario I was fiddling around with and watched with interest when my Stuka began strafing my own tanks. Then it really got interesting when my own quad 4 AA shot the Stuka down.

I wonder who gets the victory points for that smile.gif

(Not really) </font>