just noticed false IDs in game.

Yep, seen that too - I had been replaying a scenario in which I knew the Germans had only Panzers 38(t) and a couple of StuGs. The StuGs were easily identified, but out of the 5 or 6 light tanks, 2 were ID'd as Panzer IIIs, one as a Panzer IV. At first I was stunned, like "what the....CHEATER ! WHEN I PLAYED THAT FROM THE GERMAN SIDE ALL I HAD WAS CRAPPY LIGHTIES !" while my own light tanks were all retreating en force. Then I understood what it was all about, and killed that "Panzer III" with a hail of ATR fire smile.gif

Yep, I figured that out, and payed closer attention to that afterwards. Though it seems much more prevalent when playing the Allies : US and Russian troops often mistake light tanks for III's and IV's, and IVs for Panthers or Tigers, but the Germans seem to guess more accurately, and even if not giving you the exact type, I've never seen them mistake a light tank for a medium etc...

They do however sometimes mistake HTs as tanks, but as sound contacts only, and I never pay much credence to sound contacts, as they always seem both inaccurate in type, but terribly when it comes to location : I've seen many times sound contacts that were supposed to be on the left appear on the far right and vice versa.

[ June 04, 2004, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Kobal2 ]

That is one of my favotite aspects of the game. I also find it interesting when your tanks fire multiple rounds into an 'identified' stug and then when the game is over find out it was like a Jagdpanzer or something totally Uber. Had I known it was a Jagdpanzer I would never have had them target it in the first place.

Yes, that's usually a great feature!

Yet one (a little) annoying aspect: LMGs are regularly misidentified as "Crew?", I guess it is because the team is a 2-men one in both cases. Knowing that, I concentrate my fire on the "crews", but at the beginning I seriously wondered how some pistol-equipped guys managed to inflict such casualties to my troops...

I think the AI sometime misidentifies targets too. That could be why occassionally that enemy PzIV pops smoke and back away from your T34-76 without firing. He may have mistaken it for an unstoppable KV. They don't call it 'EXTREME FOW" for nothin'!

Would love to be able to somehow induce misIDs in my troops sometimes, via PCP probably.

"No Comrade, this is *not*, I repeat, *not* a fascist Tiger. It's a mere Panzer 1. With no ammo left. NOW GO TO ITS FLANK AND SHAKE THAT MOLOTOV, HOP IT YOU KULAK !"

[ June 04, 2004, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Kobal2 ]