Russian Tanks

There is no specific letter "J" in Russian language. There are couple of different sorts of letters "I" though, a long and a short one, and the short one in general is pronounced kinda like "J" in front of another vowel. So, "Joseph" is written in Russian like "IOSIF". So the name of the Soviet leader was Йосиф Сталин, abbreviation ЙС. Whether one wants to translitterate that as IS or JS depends on standard.

Originally posted by Sergei:

There is no specific letter "J" in Russian language. There are couple of different sorts of letters "I" though, a long and a short one, and the short one in general is pronounced kinda like "J" in front of another vowel. So, "Joseph" is written in Russian like "IOSIF". So the name of the Soviet leader was Йосиф Сталин, abbreviation ЙС. Whether one wants to translitterate that as IS or JS depends on standard.

To say the truth, it's Иосиф with the normal 'i' and not the short one (i kratkoe). Thus, as it was already said in this forum, one should transliterate ИС as IS and not JS (unless you are willing to write also Josjf Staljn, since the letters are the same :D ).

Best,

Amedeo

Ah yes, that's right. I was thinking in Bulgarian for a moment... how's that for an excuse? :D

Quite good actually since I know absolutely no Bulgarian...or Russian for that matter if you don't count "Da" or "Nyet" or maybe even "Tas Vidanya"! And I couldn't spell those with all the help on this forum... :D

Panther Commander

Eh, maybe so - I may well have been thinking in Gorobach-Rutanian, not Bulgarian. But if Google gives more of Йосиф than Иосиф on Bulgarian pages, I'd be interested to hear the explanation. :confused:

Well, it's only my educated guess, since I'm not a linguist, I think that in Bulgarian the "local" form is indeed spelled with the 'short i', but when speaking of "that" Iosif, they use the Russian spelling. It's also worth noting that in Russian, the i kratkoe is never found at the beginning of a word with the exception of foreign derived terms (although it has to be said that Iosif is not a Russian name).

Regards,

Amedeo

Originally posted by beholders:

I think Russian heavy tanks such as the JS 1,2,& 3 should be in combat mission as well as the T/76 the Russians had a lot of diferent types :rolleyes: in the later days of the war.

Beholders... No offense, but you've been posting awfully noobish questions lately. Are you sure you're playing the right game? :confused:

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by beholders:

I think Russian heavy tanks such as the JS 1,2,& 3 should be in combat mission as well as the T/76 the Russians had a lot of diferent types :rolleyes: in the later days of the war.

Beholders... No offense, but you've been posting awfully noobish questions lately. Are you sure you're playing the right game? :confused: </font>

Originally posted by beholders:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Beholders... No offense, but you've been posting awfully noobish questions lately. Are you sure you're playing the right game? :confused: </font>

Во-первых, никто никогда не называет модификации Т-34 калибром их пушки smile.gif Всегда говорят Т-34-80, Т-34-76 и т.д.

Во-вторых, До Свидания, а не Tas Vidaniya smile.gif

В-третьих, по-русски, имя лидера СССР читается как Иосиф Виссарионович Сталин. Буква "Й" никогда не использовалась. И танки обозначены "ИС", а не "ЙС".

Удачи в изучении языка! smile.gif

Originally posted by Matthias:

like i said in the last post i made...r...i...g...h...t...

heck i love read posts in the same alphabet as my own smile.gif

He simply said (if I'm not mistaken) that the correct way to identify the T-34 variants by calibre is T-34-76, T-34-85 etc. (I also add that the Russian always use the "-" and not the "/").

Second, that it's do svidaniya and not tas svidanya and third that the correct spelling of the leader of the SSSR we're talking about is Iosif Vissarionovich Stalin and that the 'i kratkoe' was never used in Iosif.

BTW consider that he also is posting in an alphabet that is not his own, since the Russian cyrillic is slightly different from the Ucranian :D

Bye,

A.

Originally posted by Sir Kozakh Dragonfire:

Ukrainian, if you don't mind smile.gif

Yes, I have problems not only with Russian but also with English :D

Theese alphbets differ only in several letters, for example, we use "и" instead of "ы" and "є" instead of "е".

I have no difficulty in admitting that I know nothing about Ukrainian language but I thought that you used the 'i' istead of 'ы' as in your signature (BTW what does it means?).

BTW, wery nice translation smile.gif

Thanks, but it was more a summary than a translation (and I also forgot to add the bits about the IS tanks and the study of foreign languages).

Regards,

Amedeo

Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bone_Vulture: