TCP vs. PBEM - are there differences in playing style?

I am asking to get some info regarding play recommendations and design for future scenarios.

Note that this is really only relevant for attack/defense scenarios, not meeting engagements.

When playing myself, I find that if I play PBEM, I am perfectly happy to take 10-15 turns (or even longer) before any contact occurs. When I play TCP, I am much less tolerant of these 'delays', and like to see early contact. Knowing there is a chap at the other end of the line twiddling his thumbs has that effect on me.

What that comes down to is that some scenarios that maybe very good for multiplayer because of the action and the balance, are much less good for TCP than they are for PBEM, because the action occurs late in the game.

What are players' thoughts on the matter - do you notice a difference in playing PBEM or TCP yourself?

Some disclaimers first: I have only PBEM:ed RoW series tournaments, and only TCP:ed a couple of times with a friend.

Anyhow, my expectation is neutral or opposite: I have no problem in waiting for contact in TCP-game (the turns go forward quickly anyhow). Sometimes it would be nice to have contact in PBEM games sooner, but in the end the waiting only adds to the excitement!

Br,

Jukka-Pekka

Hi,

My views do not really answer the question directly. :D

I believe the best way to play CMBB is to start with a turn or two in PBEM, then to move on to Live TCP play.

The reason is that if playing a reasonably sized game, time is required for the setup, and the first run. Maybe as long as 30 minutes for set up, longer sometimes. But once a game is up and running, nothing can replace the fun of Live TCP play. Especially if both parties are on broadband. However, I do not play with any time limits. Both players just agree to take as short a time as possible. On most turns, it moves along very rapidly. Now and then a major reorganization is called for by one or both sides, but against this, on some turns both just hit Go.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

hmm... i think i stick to my tactical plans more in tcp (i mean in pbem i tend to, after 15 turns ore so change my plan, probably just to keep awake.....This game im playing against my brother now, i had a panther way to the rear and was planning not to use it until last few turns as to get his attacking tanks in on the road up to the major objestives area and then pick him off from the rear...unfortunately, at turn 20-some, i thought ; well maybe he isnt coming, did a fast move to get up to that road myself, and what do u know!! there was his platoon of panzers right in front of my nose...BOOM; nomore Panther...)))))

And also i think in tcp im more flexibel to changes, it takes (in mind) less of a big deal to make fast changes in placing and so on, in pbem, i tend to think, 'whaa; lets just stick to this...'

I mean pbem makes me lazy.

In tcp im up and adrenalined some more. And that reflects on the game.

i dont know, never really made a study of it though.)) smile.gif

[ July 21, 2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

Until the last month or so I played exclusively TC/IP or network up to 2000 pts. and max 3 minute turns.

Started playing my brother huge maps 3000pointers and TC/IP was not really practical. So we were playing PBEM and it is much more chess-like in that you weigh all options and indulge in point counting, checking views etc.

CertainltTC/IP is an adrenaline rush and because humans play fast and inaccurately great fun.

PBem , I currently have 5 on the go, seems very sedate but it does give you the chance to consider your tactics and learn from your successes and failures - something you might not have the time to do in TC/IP and especially network with very short period between the moves.

Having played so much of the quick stuff I think I am too impetuous and do not develop my attacks correctly. Of course I never played scenarios - other than " A Deadly Affair" and relied very much on snap judgements and bluff to get me into the wins I managed playing quick games.

In regular games against the AI I do sometimes wonder what the heck it is doing taking so long but it is not a problem as I can fast forward until contact. In scenarios I don't recall seeing it take that long but again it wouldn't bother me. I Pbems it just goes with the territory as far as I'm concerned. I myself don't just rush in but try to out flank or at least sneak up so it's going to take some time. In scenarios my biggest complaint is the ones that don't allow you enough time and make you hurry. As a matter of fact if I am into a scenario and gauge that I am not going to have the proper time I need I will just quit it. I realize that the designer may have done that on purpose and is necessary for that particular game but I just don't care for that so won't knowing play them. My 2 cents on the subject anyway.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

I believe the best way to play CMBB is to start with a turn or two in PBEM, then to move on to Live TCP play.

Is this possible with CMBB? If not, is it feasible for CMAK or CMX?

I play CMBO PBEM fairly regularly with a buddy who lives some distance away. When we see each other, we are often in the middle of a PBEM game. It would be nice to be able to pick up that game from where it stands and complete it TCP/IP.

Originally posted by Dook:

I play CMBO PBEM fairly regularly with a buddy who lives some distance away. When we see each other, we are often in the middle of a PBEM game. It would be nice to be able to pick up that game from where it stands and complete it TCP/IP.

It is possible in CMBB as it was possible in CMBO. Simply save the PBEM game (alt-s). When you load the saved file again you can choose to either continue playing via PBEM TCP/IP or hotseat.

I enjoy a TCP game where it takes a few turns to move into the action. Part of the fun for me is the anticipation that something is going to happen. IMO I am in no rush to get into action in either PBEM or TCP, watching the battle develop before thew contact occurs can also be fun a rewarding.

Originally posted by Dook:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kipanderson:

I play CMBO PBEM fairly regularly with a buddy who lives some distance away. When we see each other, we are often in the middle of a PBEM game. It would be nice to be able to pick up that game from where it stands and complete it TCP/IP. </font>

Originally posted by kipanderson:

I believe the best way to play CMBB is to start with a turn or two in PBEM, then to move on to Live TCP play...

I agree.

If you turn of the clock in TCP/IP games I still have a feeling that I must complete my set up quickly. Where as when starting off PBEM I take my time.