Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

I have a dream....

Tomorrow I will be 51. So much has changed in the last 12 years or so in computer gaming. What I would truly love to see, before I pass into the great gaming world in the sky, is a game that recreates the ENTIRE eastern front, from Barbarossa to Berlin, ala this game. That is, squad/individual tanks, on accurate terrain, in realtime. Who would have the time to play such a game, or the interest? Well, grogs like me and most everyone here.

Sounds like something impossible? And then I look back and think that maybe it isn't...at least in my lifetime.

Mike

Why stop at the Eastern Front? Lets face it, you only get the true pressure by fighting the war on two fronts (three if you include the new CMAK). I have my own dream... Combat Mission from 'Warsaw to Washington', me sitting infront of my PC invading the world and my missus indulging my enthusiasms, patting me on the head and saying, "there's a good boy Richie, nice shot by that Panther, here's another strongbow hun. Shall I cook you up another vindaloo?"

War is hell... :D

I think that game the IL2 people are working on is called " WWII RTS " - if I remember correctly & you'll probably have to get a monster system just to play it with the lowest texture quality, etc. I have IL 2 & I had a hell of a time just to figure out the right settings so that the game will play decently - it put me right off buying any more of their stuff ( lousy customer support, forum members who treat you like s%$t, etc.).

Guest konrad
Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I have IL 2 & I had a hell of a time just to figure out the right settings so that the game will play decently - it put me right off buying any more of their stuff ( lousy customer support, forum members who treat you like s%$t, etc.).

That simply not true.My system is very poor (TNT 2 Nividia graphic card for example) and it runs Il-2 ( now IL -2 Forgotten Battles ) perfectly (setup on high ) .Sure ,there is some glitch with more (20 or so ) planes in the air ,but I never have a major problems.Indeed ,after CMBB ,IL-2 is my favorite (specially now ,with Heinkel:)).Not sure about forum (I'm not a member)and customer support (never nedded one).

Happy birthday ya ‘ol geezer.

I’m right behind you. ;)

I’m playing in something close to what you’re looking for over at the Band of Brothers website.

It’s fictionalized campaign of Operation Blue called the Ukrainian Campaign.

We have an amazing guy (Crapgame) who runs the campaign. He put together a large scale map where units range from company to battalion size. Both sides give orders simultaneously and hand them off to Crapgame who decides where and what type of combats occur. He then creates a CMBB map, if there wasn’t one created already for that hex, and setup zones for each side. The battle is then played TCP so a turn can be finished within a week.

Great stuff.

Check it out at:

http://www.hulldown.org/kilroy/campaigns.htm

Hey, I'm just one year and... two months(?) behind you! Geepers. Imagine what the 16 year olds on the board think when they read stuff like this. Maybe they realise "Old farts know how to have fun too!"

My thought is 'Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.' I recall there was a period of several years where my old system just couldn't handle any of the game that were coming out, and now my new systems fast approaching that threshhold too. I'd hate to have to shell out ANOTHER $2,000 just in order to run a new $45 game. (old farts are cheap, too!)