Using FRAPS

Hi!

I try, just for fun, to record some scenes from CMBB with help of the free demo version of FRAPS. There isn't really many things to manipulate in the program but I wonder if anyone has any advices about what framerate I should use for best result? And if there is there any other advices/tip out there, I'm very greatful to take part of them.

Thanks in advance!

I found Fraps was giving me huge files just from doing flyovers on the battlefield - I am talking 100mb plus.

I am not sure what you are trying to do. Though I suspect I could have reduced the file sizes it would have given me the one Director cut of the action.

If you use PBEMHelper it incidentally allows you to go from film to film in a battle on the click of a key very quickly - and you can go back and forth.

What I have not tried but may be possible is to run both sides films if they had the same password. A wild idea but who knows!

Thanks for your thoughts! The size of the files is no problem, they decrease substantial when Win MovieMaker has done its jobb. My problem is more that the movie tends to be very sluggish since the framerate goes down when I start to record. We talk about 2-6 fps. Not sure it has anything to do with the settings in FRAPS, or if it's an effect caused by my hardware?

I just think that it could be a fun way to "write" an AAR. If you parcipitate in a campagn, then your teammates perhaps enjoy the movie. smile.gif

Fraps is quite performance hungry when recording movies. Try recording at half-size and reducing FPS to 25 in the Fraps options. With these settings I can record CM scenes while still having 20+FPS without problems on my system (AMD2600+, 1 Gig RAM, 7600GS).

If you have a system that can barely run CM then the additional workload of a Fraps recording will bring your system to its knees.

BTW one of the best movie codecs to dramatically reduze size while maintaining high quality is the DIVX codec.

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Fraps is quite performance hungry when recording movies. Try recording at half-size and reducing FPS to 25 in the Fraps options. With these settings I can record CM scenes while still having 20+FPS without problems on my system (AMD2600+, 1 Gig RAM, 7600GS).

If you have a system that can barely run CM then the additional workload of a Fraps recording will bring your system to its knees.

BTW one of the best movie codecs to dramatically reduze size while maintaining high quality is the DIVX codec.

I'm pretty certain that my own movie (see the link in my sig) was recorded under these settings.

Moviemaker & youtube reduce quality further... but they also increases accessibility

Seems to work better now, perhaps I can help someone else by telling about how stupid I was. redface.gif

First I changes my screen to 60Hz according to the manufacturers recommendations. Next step was to take away CMBBs preferens file. Then I make sure that my settings was the same - CMBBs first choice was 75Hz. And now everything, so far, seems to be a lot smoother. Haven't test with any BIG sceens yet :rolleyes: