Eichenbaum's Operation Storfang released!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by markl:

"""I seem to be having a problem starting the campaign.

Probably something I am doing. Are we supposed to be using the Career or Battle sections?

If I try the career section it tells me it is loading the 3D environment then drops out. If I start the battle section I filled in my name then pressed start and a dos box came up decompressing files. I had to close this twice when it stopped.

The CMBB then started with your splash screen, but there only seems to be a quick battle option.

I must be doing something wrong, can you point me in the right direction.

I noticed in the registry values you have the CMBB exe as "combatmission2.exe mine is

"Barbarossa to Berlin.exe" so I changed this value but it still works the same with both values.

Most people seem to be having no trouble so I am guessing I must be selecting something wrong somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated."""

This is happening to me as well. I am trying to use it on a Athlon 550, with Win 98. (CDV,US)CMBB has worked fine for me up until installing your campaign. I uninstalled the campaign, but now cannot start CMBB. Could the problem be related to me using the Schoerner's SSPatch?

Now if you could just tell me how to get CMBB running again without having to re-install it, I would be a happy camper again. Much appreciated.

:( Those damaged CM versions aren't good. That will keep me out of my sleep tonight. Though I cannot offer you a solution right now. It cannot be damaged beyond repair so you do not have to worry. I'll come up with a full restore program by this time tomorrow. <u>But do not experiment or delete files</u>; Then I cannot garantee that everything will be saved.

[deleted]

We're sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

[ June 21, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

The new patch that needs to fix crashed OSF versions shows too many unstable processes to release it at this moment. We want to make certain that damaged Combat Mission installations are fixed with any errors. That's why we delay the release until further notice.

We're sorry for the inconvenience this might cause you.

You’re advised to wait for the patch if you can’t or don’t like to reinstall CM after a crash.

Nothing is damaged beyond repair. You only have files with the wrong names after a crash, that’s all.

It’s important that you don’t start OSF again after you got a black screen; then there’s a chance your CM will look like the Crimea permanently.

DirectX problems or dysfunctional 3d menus are not on the top of the list of priorities.

OSF needs DX to run but does alter it. The error message that can occur after an OSF crash says most of the times that there’s a DirectX problem, but the only problem there is; is the missing interface bitmaps.

OSF can be played without the 3d menus. Those are an extension so not crucial. You won’t be able to manage the campaign after the 1st scenario without it. For more support you can visit the site: http://www.parallelgraphics.com and look for ‘Cortona vrml Client’.

Our download section will stay off-line until all the bugs have been solved. OSF will be updated at the same time as the patch comes out because it takes the same amount of code to extend. A backup script will also be implemented to make sure that these kinds of problems do not appear again.

We would like to note: that OSF 1.0 has been successfully downloaded for more the 200 times until last evening the 19th (downloads with accelerators not counted for). 5 crashes have been reported.

We are just a few guys who made a mod for you to enjoy CMBB once more. Everything has been created in the late hours after our daily jobs, football, wives & children. As a team we have witnessed coming & going of members, diehards and freaks. Despite the bug that appeared after our first release does not take away that we are proud to present an extension for CMBB. It’s a free product and you should play it at your own risk (You were warned at our download page).

If you’re subscribed to our <u>forums</u> you’ll be notified by e-mail about the evolvements of OSF, bugs & patches. (Newsletter). I'm also asking you kindly to go to our forums for technical support. A regrestartion with Name, E-mail and password is enough to reply, post etc...

With kind regards,

Eichenbaum.org

Hi Eichenbaum,

I just want to say that, despite the problems, you have my total support - and I think that goes for just about everyone else here. Storfang is a FANTASTIC add-on to CMBB. It provides the one thing the original was lacking - a comprehensive campaign system.

I played the first Storfang instalment last year - it was awesome. I've played through the first battle of the new Storfang, until the bug showed up. Again, it's a wonderful add-on. Can't wait to play on.

So many, many thanks for providing us with such a great, gigantic free product. You've plainly put a hell of a lot of work in, a real labour of love, and I for one really do appreciate it.

It's a pity there's a bug, but I'm sure you'll get it fixed. I hope so.

So thanks again, and I look forward to the final release. :cool: smile.gif

The main problem I have with "Storfang" is bmp replacement. I don't wish to make any changes in my BMP folder, I play with gridded terrain & have pretty much replaced every *.bmp in the folder to my liking with DLs & home grown mods.

I would suggest an option that leaves the current *.bmps alone, or atleast with minimal changes.

The 3d enviroment runs on the Internet Explorer Object (iexplore.exe). Local properties of this microsoft application will have effect on the 3d scene (vrml).

Check the advanced and security properties. Maybe activeX controls are being blocked and the vrml engine cannot be excuted.

Hi Eichenbaum,

Could you give a description of how you start your mod, as all I can get to is the quick battle and it only has normal graphics. The loading 3D environment still does not seem to do anything.

When the files are decompresing the process stops twice. What is supposed to happen after the files are decompressed?

Or could one of the people who have had success describe how the mod installs and works.

cheers.

Originally posted by markl:

Hi Eichenbaum,

Could you give a description of how you start your mod, as all I can get to is the quick battle and it only has normal graphics. The loading 3D environment still does not seem to do anything.

When the files are decompresing the process stops twice. What is supposed to happen after the files are decompressed?

Or could one of the people who have had success describe how the mod installs and works.

cheers.

I went to the site to update my Shockwave, downloaded the vrml programme seperately & then applied the exe download but before applying the Eichenbaum modification to CMBB, ensured I restarted my computer so that the 2 previous upgrades were fully functioning. Once the computer fired up again I then applied Eichenbaums 28 Mb modification to CMBB by ensuring it was directed to the correct folder manually (my CMBB was under a different drive to the default C drive & I had called the folder it was under something different).

Once the mod had unpacked itself I then ran the programme & so far, it's worked like a dream. I must say that the overall package is exceptionally impressive with the new look of CMBB using new terrain tiles etc. The only thing I miss is the loss of my grids but it's only temporary while Operation Storfang runs & I'll live for the moment. ;)

One other thing, OSF makes it quite clear to first close down your internet browser AND CMBB before running the OSF programme. I'm not sure why but I did as was requested & everything worked fine.

Finally, I must say that I would thoroughly recommend Eichenbaum contact the BFC guys to get this thread pinned at the top of the CMBB forum as he & his team's tireless efforts to get it up & running is nothing short of amazing. Clearly they have gone above & beyond in writing this software as an adjunct to CMBB which comes totally free of charge. It is very professionally done & akin to something you would have expected Battlefront.com to have done themselves. If the BFC guys take the time to look at this piece of programming I'm sure they couldn't help but be impressed & possibly should consider making an offer to Eichenbaum & his team to join forces in future to produce top notch campaign options in the yet to be released CMX2 game.

Just my thoughts on it anyway.

Regards

Jim R.

smile.gif Thanks Jim R.

We're gonna build things up over time. If too many people want to download OSF at once then I'm sure our private server will crash and my provider maybe want to take actions. We do not have any mirror sites availlable yet.

One other thing, OSF makes it quite clear to first close down your internet browser AND CMBB before running the OSF programme. I'm not sure why but I did as was requested & everything worked fine.
It can happen that files are not being handled by OSF if the container folder is opened. Windows 2000 showed this behaviour. When files are not handled CM's file structure could be messed up causing OSF to give an 'Error'. (This has to to with networks & file rights) Since 1.02 it will be restored automaticly but you cannot be sure enough. We certainly want to avoid that somebody has to reinstall CM because of this. You should start up OSF from the Start Menu. (CMBB CD-ROM in the Drive).

[ June 23, 2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

Nils I have some problem, when I run OSF1.02 it is OK, but when I want to run CMBB after playing OSF I have message error : unhandled exception : c0000005 at address : 51028931 , I have saved BMP

folder and it appear there is some missing BMPs

like following : 11002 and 11212....? Thanks for your job Pat.

Nils I have some problem, when I run OSF1.02 it is OK, but when I want to run CMBB after playing OSF I have message error : unhandled exception : c0000005 at address : 51028931
Run the 'battle' from OSF again. You're surpose to get a message that is has been recovered from a crash without that CM starts up. Close OSF and start CM.

Originally posted by PittPanther31:

I can't get this to work properly.

I keep getting an error that says OSF was not installed properly.

So I have two questions:

1. What folder should this be placed in? Right now, it's in its own default one.

2. My version seems to say 1.00, should I patch it?

1. Uninstall and reinstall OSF again. Read the instructions in the Install Wizard carefuly. You should install OSF where you have Combat Mission 2 installed. That's why you need the 'browse' button to point the right folder.

2. You adviced to patch your 1.00 version to 1.02. You can download it from our download section at Eichenbaum.org (ca.632KB).

You can also download the full 1.02 version; then you only have to uninstall 1.00 and install 1.02.

Originally posted by PittPanther31:

Ok---thanks for the help.

Now I keep getting an "unhandled exception" error, or some such thing, and CMBB crashes after the battlefront screen.

Any suggestions?

If you have applied the patch 1.02 according to the instructions then start OSF again. Start up the 1st battle and you'll receive a message that CM has been recovered from a crash. Close OSF and start CM again.