105mm againist t-34s?

Hey everybody,

I am initiating an assault on a village with a batallion of SS infantry supported by a company of StuG IIIEs in October 1941. My divisional FO can already see three tanks clustered together, guarding the crossroads of interest...most likely T-34s. The rest of the batallion is in cover and is beginning the advance. A platoon of tank destroyers (PzJag I?) is coming up behind, to be followed by elements of 10th Panzer (Pz III?).

So...what would you do...use the 105mm artillery against the armor to try to get a lucky kill or two, or hope your own armor assets can do the job against a superior enemy? It's muddy, with alot of steppe and long fields of fire separating the two forces. I've read previous threads of the effectiveness of artillery on armor, but would be interested in getting your advice on this particular situation and basic force composition.

Thanks!

Cuirassier is right, but you can try some 105 mm rounds against supposed T34 tanks in the crossroad.

If you are lucky, one "?" T34 could be knowked out or has his gun damaged, anyway T34's will hide from you. keep the most rounds of your artillery for anti tank positions and or smoke for armor(don't forget terrain is muddy) and infantry "blitz advance".

Pat

105s on map used direct are fine against T-34s.

105 FOs on the other hand, won't get it done.

150mm and up stuff can expect reasonable chances of gun damage or immobilization against tanks if the flight of shells is well targeted. Best if you catch them unbuttoned though, as fragging one of the TCs is your best chance of damage. Don't need a full module, half a minute is fine for it.

Speaking of 105s on map, I have been experimenting with them more and more and they have grown on me. Similar to sIGs, but less gamey. Decent hit chances and can KO plenty of stuff with the plain HE. HC very effective if you have it. ROF a lot better than the sIG. Also useful smoke.

I like taking 2 plus one flak in smallish QBs. Prime mover is a single Sdkfz - they are very slow to push though. Cost of a platoon, a lot more firepower when the circumstances allow. Best at buildings e.g. village fights. In a bigger fight I'd consider a whole battery of them, with 2 Sdkfz. Tend to run out of support points though.

I seem to recall their hit chance is overmodelled. They should not really have much of an ability to deliver a HC charge in DF at distances >500m, according to German experience.

I believe (from memory) that they do a lot better than that in CM, so I would not agree that they are not a gamey choice. That's before even getting into German doctrinal use of such guns.

All the best

Andreas

Do you have a sniper? That can make all the difference in these circumstances. A T34 loses (IMHO ) 1/2 of it's effectiveness if the Tank Commander (TC) is taken out.

It loses about 1/5 if you make it button. By making it button it won't get 1st fire against enemy tanks and it needs ~2 rounds more to get a good hit percentage.

If you don't have one, by all means force them to button by any mean necessary, including your arty.

They key to winning as the axis player is to win the armour war, as the soviets have very little infantry AT capability.

Andreas - actually, using divisional 105mm in gun fronts was standard German practice in the early war. Rommel did it at Arras - far more of them than of 88s - and it was the standard counter to T-34s and KVs in Russia in 1941-2. Of course 105mm kannon or 88 flak were preferable, but there weren't nearly enough of those to go around. Whereas every ID had 105s.

Other Means -- no, I don't have a sniper. but I do have ample HMG overwatch that I plan to use as necessary to keep the armor buttoned. I think I'll use the artillery I have against infantry strongpoints I encounter in the assault.

An unrelated question while I'm here: I don't have alot of experience with driving tanks through muddy conditions. How frequently can I expect them to bog? Can I cut this risk through specific kinds of movement over open ground? Are these questions already answered in archived forum topics? If so, my apologies for the duplicate post...

Thanks for the advice!

"I don't have alot of experience with driving tanks through muddy conditions. How frequently can I expect them to bog? Can I cut this risk through specific kinds of movement over open ground? Are these questions already answered in archived forum topics?"

In, CM, vehicles bog a lot, especially narrow tracked german ones. The mud obviously just makes it worse. Try to stick with move only (hunt and fast move cause lots of bogging), and avoid driving in scattered trees, brush, etc if possible.

If you do a search, I'm sure you will find a wealth of info (and complaining) regarding bogging.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Andreas - actually, using divisional 105mm in gun fronts was standard German practice in the early war. Rommel did it at Arras - far more of them than of 88s - and it was the standard counter to T-34s and KVs in Russia in 1941-2. Of course 105mm kannon or 88 flak were preferable, but there weren't nearly enough of those to go around. Whereas every ID had 105s.

I know. It was also seen as a complete waste of a good gun and the most important combat power asset of the division, and an expedient in case of extreme need, only to be used if nothing else answered. Which makes it different from the Soviet doctrine, which even had a gun designed with the dual role in mind. In the German case they needed to do this because they f*cked up on the ATG design in early war, only remedied by the appearance of the Pak 40 in February 1942, and so they did it, because losing guns was preferable to losing the battle.

So I stand by what I said - if recommended without further restriction on time of the war it is a gamey (in the sense of not backed by doctrine) use of the gun, with the exception of a small time-frame in 1941-2, where it is a gamey use of the gun that occured in history as well. :D

The point about them being overmodeled in CM still stands. It was toned down in testing, AFAICR, but it is still better than what German documents say.

All the best

Andreas

German vehicles bog a lot in CM even the ground was dry !!! I played yersterday a short operation during Koursk battle and I was very surprised to see my armor bogged in the dry battlefield, in those conditions it's very difficult to encircle some enemy positions. Then I don't talk to you if you attack in the muddy condition against fortified enemy positions.

Pat

What's your time lag on calling in the artillery? Early war after moving your spotter around, the time between calling in a strike and the first shells falling can be pretty big. If you can guess where the tanks might be 15 minutes into the game (obvious route of advance) you might be able to drop artilery on the location just as things start heating up. With luck (there's that pesky luck again) the AI might independantly try to reposition the enemy tanks out from under the barrage and offer you a good side shot in the process.

Well, I beg to differ ...

I have used 105 mm FO´s with good effect against bunched up tanks in CMAK and CMBB. That is, if you acknowledge that the effect is not a kill of the tank, but immobilization, gun damage, TC kills, etc ... much easier to deal with those crippled tanks.

Originally posted by Scheer:

Well, I beg to differ ...

I have used 105 mm FO´s with good effect against bunched up tanks in CMAK and CMBB. That is, if you acknowledge that the effect is not a kill of the tank, but immobilization, gun damage, TC kills, etc ... much easier to deal with those crippled tanks.

Especially useful in Operations, causing total loss for the next battle.......

MikeyD / Jason: Actually, the time delay for my divisional level 105mm has been 2-3 minutes within LOS...much shorter than your estimate, Jason...must be the effect of a crack FO as part of an SS mechanized unit?

I was presented with a pretty tight cluster of 5-6 T-34s in full LOS that I just couldn't pass up with the off-board arty. I've used about 1/3 of the available assets and, while no obvious kills or immobilizations to speak of, they certainly have scattered from their original placement. Still have reasonable assets left to use against newly-ID'ed infantry emplaced in the path of my advance...

Still not sure how I'll deal with at least 7-8 T-34's with 6 StugIIIE's, 3 PzJag I's, and 4 PzIIIG's...patience, patience, patience...

Thanks everybody!