Question on Romanian air support after 8/44

The Romanians switched sides when the Soviets steamrollered them and the German forces in Romania (the somewhat misnomed AG South Ukraine) in the Iassy-Kishinjev operation after 22nd August 1944. My money would still be on the Soviets telling the Romanian air force to put a sock in it until they have switched to Soviet models.

Well according to the web link provided it looks like the Romanian Air Force was still in existance, w/ some units being disbanded, while others not.

If Romanian ground forces fought on the allied side, I have no idea why they wouldn't use the air power. The only reason I can think of was they used German model aircraft and misidentification could've been a problem.

In addition to the grounding / phasing out of German aircraft (and the large variety of native Romanian models too) of the Romanian airforce there were some other changes that the Russians imposed upon their 'new allies'. A lot of armor formations (what there was left at that point in the war) were disbanded / reorganized without their armor. The Russians 'appropriated' a lot of the armored vehicles (though quite possibly not all of them). This included the Maresal, the predecessor to the Hetzer that the Romanians were on the verge of mass producing, along with other AFVs that were German or Romanian conversions of captured Russian armor.

Apparently (as rumors go) the Russians were afraid of some nationalistic / monarchist-leaning leaders in the Romanian armed forces who may have been willing to push the Russians out as soon the war ended or earlier. The aim was to remove some of the higher value assets from control of the Romanian military. So in essence the Romanians became a sort of 'canon fodder' for the more heavily armed Russian units in the last stages of the war (not that the Romanians weren't effective). Of course this is most likely some Cold War-biased logic / reasoning that probably won't stand up to thorough historical scrutiny.

After the war the Russians equipped the Romanian military with aircraft and AFVs. In fact Romania apparently still has one of the largest fleets of T34/85s in service.

I just checked and the Romanian Airforce remained active until the end of the war. However, it was greatly reduced in strength because of the reliance on German aircraft for much of its fighting power. The Romanians did manage to capture quite a bit of functional aircraft and parts (1300 brand spanking new engines for the BF109!!), which lasted a while. But as the war ground on the percentage of German aircraft to Romanian dwindled, as did the overall size of the airforce. As was the case in general, they received no help from the Soviets in terms of equipment.

An interesting sideline... during the defection the Germans sent 4 Brandenburg commando teeams (17), one each to the 4 major Romanian airfields. There mission was to destroy all the German aircraft and logistics they could so they wouldn't fall into the Romanian hands. Three never made it and the 4th was pretty much eliminated without causing damage. This was just another tail of German failure during this time period (there are PLENTY more).

I've asked Charles if it is possible to allow Romanian air support to be available post defection.

Steve

Thanks Battlefront

I think that issue may have been over looked in the passion of bringing CMBB to birth.

Hmmmm Brandenburgers vs Romanian airforce personnel--ah do you have link or cite for that incident-it smell like a small scenario to me!